Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 27, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #145,502 of 151,143
A friend of mine from Bend, causally mentioned this place yesterday.

https://vintagehifinut.com/

Are you familiar with this shop?

His custom work shown at the bottom of the page has got me drooling!
I might have done a couple custom pieces myself. :ksc75smile: I started with amp cabinets and expanded out a bit.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #145,503 of 151,143
Where it gets interesting is what happens as you're convering the numbers to analog. Keep in mind I did say stairstep‐like. I'm pretty sure if you looked at the direct output from the chip on a scope (before any analog low pass filtering) you would indeed see stairstep-like features.
Yep! See it live, if you can spare 20 seconds to watch this clip:

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #145,504 of 151,143
Upsampling afterwards is useless.
Not necessarily. See the section in the Audio University video that talks about low pass filtering, and the change in filter slope when the signal is upsampled... a gentler filter slope can cause less distortion and less abrupt phase shifts in the output analog signal.

Upsampling at the recording process to make another new format, not easy to accomplish... Studio need new reliable equipment, thats why we see 24/48 or 96 more than 24/192 ... it cost a lot more ...
From what I understand - when recording - mastering at a high rate / high bit depth yields a wider dynamic range, and therefore a lower noise floor; e.g. 24 bit == 144db theoretical (probably more like 125db in the real world).

This gives the engineer room to edit / overdub without sacrificing the dynamic range of the output, which is likely going to be at 44.1K or 48k, 16 bit, so... 96.32db available, theoretical dynamic range.

The "more cylinder" means denser sampling, but it was already fixed by the industry, no one will do it.
Again, that is totally correct. The RedBook CD's design was limited by the technology of the day, and ultimately consumer-facing price/performance requirements for broad adoption of the CD format.

p.s. Mike Moffat has proven that 44.1/16 is all you need... but YMMV.

p.p.s. Having dealt with a sick BMW V12 engine... I can tell you that nobody needs those kinds of headaches, and your mileage will NOT vary on this one. <G>

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #145,505 of 151,143
A friend of mine from Bend, causally mentioned this place yesterday.

https://vintagehifinut.com/

Are you familiar with this shop?

His custom work shown at the bottom of the page has got me drooling!
I follow him on Insta but haven't been to his shop yet. He looks to be doing cool stuff. I should visit soon.

Mar 27, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #145,507 of 151,143
Yep! See it live, if you can spare 20 seconds to watch this clip:

Yep, I watched the original video a while back. I would say keep in mind that he's showing the output after the analog low pass filter of a sine wave. He does mention zero order hold being an important part of how "some" DACs work, though I would say "most" DACs.

From the video:

Screenshot_20240327_134253_Gallery.jpg

This is what leads to the intermediate stairstep waveform that does in fact exist before the analog filter does its job.

To summarize:
- Somebody said stairsteps are a myth
- I mentioned that they are a part of the digital to analog conversion process (not the final output of the DAC)
- This was in reference to the Daniel Hertz stuff and ML's statements about the PCM's representation of sound, with my added comments about the limitations of analog filters to remove the artifacts without adding new ones (while still suspecting BS on C-Wave)
- It was said by others that, no, the stairstep is only a concept
- I countered that it actually exists in real life and used the example of a filterless NOS DAC to show what you get out of a DAC chip without analog filtering (stairstep-ish)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #145,509 of 151,143
Valhalla looks really good in black!!

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #145,511 of 151,143
Both cats wake up and glare at it whenever Bifrost clicks. Poor disturbed kitties.

And yes, I am ignoring Jot2 to listen to Valhalla. Rolled the tubes and am deep in tube bliss. :)
LOL! They are plotting their revenge for tonight as soon as you are asleep. :laughing:

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #145,512 of 151,143
Just arrived in Texas for our annual bluebonnet spring with a topping of eclipse.

Seemed fitting to watch the SchiiT promotional video again from the SchiiT website. If you haven't watched it, as all SchiiTizens should, it's about SchiiT uplifting and growing the US economy, local economy, and sTaTe economy of Texas and California.". *

And it's clearly working. The growth is mind bending in Texas. What's equally mind bending is that our SchiiT sounds better here. Is it the Texas power grid?

IMG_20240327_094452722~2.jpg
UnsTacked Velcroed Down SchiiT Horizontal RV Shelf.

Maybe because Texas is so so so big the digital steps seem smaller here and everything sounds better than Florida?

In another day we'll be settled in our regular RV spot in Kerrville and being closer to 24900 SchiiT Way Corpus World Center of SchiiT Design Christi, I'm hoping for even better sounding SchiiT!

"SchiiT Audio, putting the T back in Texas one piece aT a Time!"

*WARNING: Those who didn't get a Sol that is featured in the video may get misty eyed seeing it in action. And too bad it was killed there could have been a "Texas SOLar Eclipse Anniversary Edition"! :)
Nice bunch of Schiit you have there.

BTW, is that BBQ sauce on those knobs?

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #145,514 of 151,143
After reading @Paladin79 posts about Noah's Mill bourbon, and since it is almost 5:pM here, I just poured myself a nice dose of Noah"s Mill and have kicked back for the day.
This is the first day in weeks where I have not used power tools and new vinyl arrived so I had to stop and listen. My wife did not follow why I did not leave the record playing while I came upstairs to beat her at Scrabble. For all she knows I may have a record changer downstairs. 😁

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #145,515 of 151,143
This is the first day in weeks where I have not used power tools and new vinyl arrived so I had to stop and listen. My wife did not follow why I did not leave the record playing while I came upstairs to beat her at Scrabble. For all she knows I may have a record changer downstairs. 😁
Thought Finnegan was in charge of record changing, tube rolling and staff ranking. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back