Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #145,366 of 149,700
I moved to Qobuz from Tidal after several years of general happiness with Tidal (other than MQA).

Almost immediately, I found that I really preferred the SQ of Qobuz. I still do.

The only real system changes were swapping OG Yggy A2 for Yggy MiB... but I have heard both services stream to both DACs, and Qobuz delivers a more dynamic and accurate stream 'o bits regardless of Yggy variant IMHO.
Ditto. When Roon announced integration with Qobuz that was the catalyst for me to build (assemble, really) a NUC and purchase a lifetime Roon subscription.

I've really enjoyed having the Roon server run as a standalone appliance. I'm predicting others will do the same with the pending availability of the new, much cheaper Roon Nucleus One.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #145,367 of 149,700
That is some of the most beautiful walnut these eyes have ever seen. And I love walnut.
What you buy can vary greatly but I try to hand pick the very best for my builds. I was using lesser grades when it would not be seen. Now I am caught up again and three boxes will ship tomorrow. I have one item to finish for myself and after that I may finish some mini radial speakers.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #145,368 of 149,700
Have you followed Mark Levinson’s C-wave gig. I wonder what you think of that. I am not going to tell you what I think...
I wasn't going to comment on this because I'm about a week behind in posts, but I couldn't help myself. So forgive me if someone has already posted a way better reply.

I don't understand what modulated PCM is or what is wrong with it... continuous what?
The gist, I think in layman's terms, is that Mark believes listening to PCM digital music will cause health issues (I kid you not.)
Mark believes that he found something not being recorded by the PCM processing that is essential to people's well-being while listening. He has developed an algorithm that processes the PCM to add information that fixes the PCM's listening woes.
It seems this algorithm adds some kind of echo, I think, to fix it. It all sounds very snake oil-like and MQA-ish to me. Until Mark explains how he found out about this and just exactly why it fixes it in easily understood terms, I will leave this gathering dust on the weird hi-fi tales pile of audiophile history.

There is one thing, though, that may give him some support, and that is that certain people in the Hi-Fi industry believe they hear a better quality sound difference when recording in DSD (or version thereof? I'm not an EE). But does it also make them feel healthier as opposed to listening to PCM? Hmmm... I dunno. I guess it will all come out in the wash one day. Just be careful what you step on the way to the clothesline, and I'm sorry for opening up yet another can of audiophile worms.

We should also thank Alpha Audio for the YouTube interview. They often go above and beyond to try to unravel Hi-Fi's mysteries.

It also just occurred to me that Jason may already have been way ahead with introducing the SYN.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #145,369 of 149,700
I wasn't going to comment on this because I'm about a week behind in posts, but I couldn't help myself. So forgive me if someone has already posted a way better reply.

I don't understand what modulated PCM is or what is wrong with it... continuous what?
The gist, I think in layman's terms, is that Mark believes listening to PCM digital music will cause health issues (I kid you not.)
Mark believes that he found something not being recorded by the PCM processing that is essential to people's well-being while listening. He has developed an algorithm that processes the PCM to add information that fixes the PCM's listening woes.
It seems this algorithm adds some kind of echo, I think, to fix it. It all sounds very snake oil-like and MQA-ish to me. Until Mark explains how he found out about this and just exactly why it fixes it in easily understood terms, I will leave this gathering dust on the weird hi-fi tales pile of audiophile history.

There is one thing, though, that may give him some support, and that is that certain people in the Hi-Fi industry believe they hear a better quality sound difference when recording in DSD (or version thereof? I'm not an EE). But does it also make them feel healthier as opposed to listening to PCM? Hmmm... I dunno. I guess it will all come out in the wash one day. Just be careful what you step on the way to the clothesline, and I'm sorry for opening up yet another can of audiophile worms.

We should also thank Alpha Audio for the YouTube interview. They often go above and beyond to try to unravel Hi-Fi's mysteries.

It also just occurred to me that Jason may already have been way ahead with introducing the SYN.
Didn't somebody named Bob Stuart already try this? MQ...something or other. Last I remember of that were the very healthy sounds of it crashing and burning. 🤣 🤣

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #145,371 of 149,700

I've not listened to anything from Mark Levinson or "Daniel Hertz" but their marketing sounds like complete BS to me.

Some quotes from - https://danielhertz.com/daniel-hertz-audio-systems/exclusive-technology

"Daniel Hertz is the only company in the world that can explain, measure and fix the digital problem."
"C Wave (patented) enables pure analog emotion from digital audio."
"⁠amazing sound from all media - CD res, high res, mp3, digitally mastered LP’s, pure analog LP’s, internet, youtube, analog tape."
"Because music is emotion, not sound, fatigue or stress interfere with our ability to get lost in the music."

I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who has had a listen to their gear, especially their "exclusive technology".

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #145,372 of 149,700
I've not listened to anything from Mark Levinson or "Daniel Hertz" but their marketing sounds like complete BS to me.

Some quotes from - https://danielhertz.com/daniel-hertz-audio-systems/exclusive-technology

"Daniel Hertz is the only company in the world that can explain, measure and fix the digital problem."
"⁠amazing sound from all media - CD res, high res, mp3, digitally mastered LP’s, pure analog LP’s, internet, youtube, analog tape."
"Because music is emotion, not sound, fatigue or stress interfere with our ability to get lost in the music."

I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone who has had a listen to their gear, especially their "exclusive technology".
That's really why I wish Mike would opine on this subject. C'Mon, @Jason Stoddard , show this bull schiit to Mike for us lol.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #145,374 of 149,700
MQA?

FTN!

My K9 Pro actually does this 'unfolding technique' or whatever the hell it is, but, those Bozos want an additional subscription L>OLO>L.
Yeah, no, clowns. The lack of a free trial really already tells me all I need to know about that.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #145,375 of 149,700

Far out. I always thought music was sound that affected us emotionally. Or not. Shows how little I know.

I also get a kick out of how this C-Wave supposedly "fixes" analog LP's and analog master tapes that, by his own premise, don't need fixed. I guess while you're fixin', might as well fix everything. I'm not holding out hope that it will fix Texas BBQ though.... 🤣

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #145,376 of 149,700
Far out. I always thought music was sound that affected us emotionally. Or not. Shows how little I know.

I also get a kick out of how this C-Wave supposedly "fixes" analog LP's and analog master tapes that, by his own premise, don't need fixed. I guess while you're fixin', might as well fix everything. I'm not holding out hope that it will fix Texas BBQ though.... 🤣
He is leaning into the whole FAKE premise of "stair steps" in digital, when in fact all of those "steps" are just undefined values and arent stair steps at all. Better illustrated with a lollipop graph, and like you said "doesnt need fixing" indeed.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #145,377 of 149,700

I had a listen to a client's system in Vancouver Wa, ML's Red Rose (early 2000's I think), when ML was excited about SACD, it was "fine" but nothing that had me rethinking my then current system....

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #145,378 of 149,700
My favorite Bier is a Naturtrüb aka Kellerbier from Kloster Weltenburg. But the real magical beers in Germany come from small, private, family owned breweries. Especially those in the Franconia/Rhön regions. Other favorites include Rhönbrauerei Dittmar and Rhönräuber (both near Tann), Distelhäuser (Tauberbischofsheim), Giesinger Bräu (München), Brauerei Gold Ochsen (Ulm).
German beer belongs at the top of the Sine Wave.

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #145,379 of 149,700
Mar 26, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #145,380 of 149,700
I'm not holding out hope that it will fix Texas BBQ though.... 🤣
No need to hold out hope. It's already perfect. Can't fix what don't need fixing. 😏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back