Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #145,337 of 151,660
IMG_7632.jpegIMG_7631.jpeg

Just a little mini rack build for @artur9, black walnut and birdseye maple.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #145,338 of 151,660
I try to be careful about putting too much stock in early impressions, even though I share my own rather freely** In my experience, those can change easily once you realize your source material was giving you the impression, not the gear.
** "Everyone is entitled to my opinion !!" 🤣👍

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #145,340 of 151,660
That is some of the most beautiful walnut these eyes have ever seen. And I love walnut.
.... bcowen sez: it won't sound as good as maple .... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #145,341 of 151,660
Mar 26, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #145,342 of 151,660
Welcome to Head-Fi. There is audio discussed here, once we finish our haxe of the day ... :)
Good quip there RCB! :)

In fact quite haxellent of you! Not quite as haxellent as Finnigan's woodworking.

And also, and most importantly, a worthy new audio descriptor.....as in "great meaty sound"..........in a word the original Yggy was "haxellent"!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #145,343 of 151,660
Finding true NOS now days is rare. Finding used but NOS measuring is getting harder.

I hear ya. One reason I've never owned a Vali is there's no way I could mentally get past paying more for a tube than my amp. That's why I own a Lyr 3 and an Incubus. More and higher priced tube options without being mentally conflicted. 🤣

I would not have been able to amass my hoard at these prices. Fortunately I got started years ago.

It's s the new normal it seems.
😕
You can still buy 5670s for a reasonable price--GE, Sylvania go for less than $20. 396A? As soon as you say Western Electric, everything jumps an order of magnitude.

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #145,344 of 151,660
Spyrogyra was the quintessential "elevator" jazz band from Buffalo, NY.
Grew up with Jay Beckenstein's Sax in my head...
Went to see them 5 times live...

Kids hated them...old guy stuff..they were into U2 back then and all the skate rats music...yuck!! LOL!

I have ALL there CD's!

Many great tunes that are very well done...some cds are indeed better recorded than others but tons
of great stuff....Dave Sameuls on the vibes etc..

Great musicians often came in and out of this great group...
Alex

Kids not listen to old music, they do not know U2, KISS, Pink Floyd, they test their gear with Hotel California by Egles because it is popular at Hi-Fi shops ... some even don't know Barbra Streisand .. but it doesn't matter, music is music, plenty of it, we can never finish listening to it .....

Some so-called audiophile ... talk about soundstage of classical music, but never knows about the placement of the instrument .....

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #145,345 of 151,660
Tentative Vali 3 review.
Round 1

RPi4 w/Volumio > USB > MMB2 > Vali 3 w/ stock 6N3P tube > Massdrop Senn 580 Jubilee

While it didn’t sound bad, I did detect a slight veil to the sound. Dynamics seemed slightly damped. It was ok but I hate to admit that I was a little disappointed. IMHO!

Round 2 - added Saga+ as preamp and turned Vali 3 volume all the way up.

RPi4 w/Volumio > USB > MMB2 > Saga+ w LISST > Vali 3 w/ WE396A tube > Massdrop Senn 580 Jubilee

Now we’re talking! Ok, yes, I changed several things here but this was not meant to be exhaustive. I merely wanted to optimize as much as possible without changing my set up too much.

Nevertheless, this combo was fantastic! Top to bottom frequencies were all on display and dynamics restored. No veil heard. Bass was full and punchy. I even tried switching between Saga’s passive and buffer stages and only barely found the active stage to sound better. I ended up listening for over 90 minutes and thoroughly enjoyed it! 👍🏻👍🏻

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #145,346 of 151,660
So lange we're chatting über German restaurants...

I've dined at some of the best restaurants in Europe, including in Germany and Austria. The best Schnitzel I've ever eaten, as well as the best Schweinshaxe I've ever eaten, even better than at Kloster Andechs, is at this place in Sarasota:

https://grandpas-schnitzel.com/
Although I have not been there in years, this restaurant in Fort Lauderdale, FL was well regarded and had very good food: https://www.heidelbergfl.com/

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #145,348 of 151,660
When I was around early twenties, I always went to the shop which is the sole distributor of SONY at that time, listening to music, all kinds, including limited CDs at that time and PCM tape recordings recorded by Betamax tape, very expensive gears, also SONY APM speakers.....

At lunch time, some medical doctors, lawyers will go there too, they dressed nicely in suit, high cost blazer, necktie, Italian shoes, you name it ... they talk about Hi-Fi and comment about it seriously ... especially on classical music ... I am naughty to ask them ... didn't you heard the struck of the triangle at right side? They said YES, then I respond, "No triangle in that particular piece"... they were angry and then argue, some changed their tone and said they heard something but not sure if it is a triangle ... 10- 15 minutes later, I told them I am telling them a lie, their face turn red, looks like want to beat me ... the shop manager is laughing but never scold me .....

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #145,349 of 151,660
Mar 26, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #145,350 of 151,660
Late to the party on this one, but no. For me it was the French teacher. When she left, I quit french class. Very shallow, I know,
Very French, I'd say :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back