Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #145,323 of 150,258
That said, once you move here, in the summer heat, Kölsch is pretty fine.
Kölsch was my very first beer. In Köln as an exchange student aged 17, in the record heat of the summer of 1976… best damn beer in the world in hot weather IMHO

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #145,324 of 150,258
Well being born and raised in Austin of course we always went to Schlitterbahn and the Smorgasbords they had around New Braunfels. I used to love those day trips.
Pretty thriving German influences around those parts.
Grüne is the classic Germanic Texas town just outside New Braunfels… and then a “triangle out from them to Boerne, and Fredricksburg…

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #145,326 of 150,258
It's option + u, and you don't have to hold them down, just press them simultaneously. That should give you the two dots where the cursor is. If you then press either a, o, u, A, O, or U, it'll convert those two dots into ä, ö, ü, Ä, Ö, or Ü respectively.
But only if your keyboard is set to "English (United States)" but not "English (International)" for some reason.

And it's macOS (i.e. OSX) only, iOS has that long-press of a, o, or u, only.

Either way, I'm partial to the option+u thing because its faster and because it's been like this forever. But I think the long-press variant is easier to remember and a whole lot more intuitive, so I think that's the way to go for infrequent users.

That's ridiculous. That switch clearly belongs on the bottom. 🙄
And if that is all too complicated, just type an "e" behind the first letter instead of an Umlaut. Like ae instead of ä, oe instead of ö, ue instead of ü. Looks definitely less German, but works.

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #145,327 of 150,258
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #145,328 of 150,258
Spyrogyra was the quintessential "elevator" jazz band from Buffalo, NY.
Grew up with Jay Beckenstein's Sax in my head...
Went to see them 5 times live...

Kids hated them...old guy stuff..they were into U2 back then and all the skate rats music...yuck!! LOL!

I have ALL there CD's!

Many great tunes that are very well done...some cds are indeed better recorded than others but tons
of great stuff....Dave Sameuls on the vibes etc..

Great musicians often came in and out of this great group...
Alex
Night Flight to Venus can't be far behind.........

:)

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #145,329 of 150,258
My favorite Bier is a Naturtrüb aka Kellerbier from Kloster Weltenburg. But the real magical beers in Germany come from small, private, family owned breweries. Especially those in the Franconia/Rhön regions. Other favorites include Rhönbrauerei Dittmar and Rhönräuber (both near Tann), Distelhäuser (Tauberbischofsheim), Giesinger Bräu (München), Brauerei Gold Ochsen (Ulm).

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #145,330 of 150,258
But wait! I didn’t think Bill had a closet to come out of? Or did I miss something (again)?
In the new audio room I have stereo closets. Unfortunately, I'm forced to store things in mono. 🤣

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #145,331 of 150,258
I had a chance to try the Rowan’s Creek bourbon last night that @RCBinTN recommended. It began with a slight sweetness like caramel and vanilla, a smooth taste with no harshness. The finish lacked the depth of flavor I am used to and with age posted on the label I suspected a fairly recent batch. Overall a fine bourbon and a bargain at the $43-$50 price. My wife liked it as well but kept asking where the EH Taylor was.🤪🤪
And you were reluctant to tell her that you already drank it all? 🤣 🤣

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #145,332 of 150,258
So, I guess that the initial impression of the Vali 3 is a good one. I've only read one comment that it was returned because it was too bright.
I got a WE 396A for my Vali 2++ before the prices went up. That doesn't happen very often!
To each his own of course, but 'bright' is not a word I'd personally use to describe Vali 3. It's more detailed than Vali 2 (OG), but not in a forceful or aggressive way and there's no perceived bump in its response in the upper mids or treble. Don't know how it compares to 2+ or 2++ though as I haven't heard those.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #145,333 of 150,258
To each his own of course, but 'bright' is not a word I'd personally use to describe Vali 3. It's more detailed than Vali 2 (OG), but not in a forceful or aggressive way and there's no perceived bump in its response in the upper mids or treble. Don't know how it compares to 2+ or 2++ though as I haven't heard those.
It seems that the extra voltage going to the tube is bringing out more in it.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #145,334 of 150,258
I try to be careful about putting too much stock in early impressions, even though I share my own rather freely. In my experience, those can change easily once you realize your source material was giving you the impression, not the gear.

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #145,335 of 150,258
Too bright? Get a Lokius.
Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back