Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 25, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #145,261 of 150,256
Well being born and raised in Austin of course we always went to Schlitterbahn and the Smorgasbords they had around New Braunfels. I used to love those day trips.
Pretty thriving German influences around those parts.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #145,263 of 150,256
Well being born and raised in Austin of course we always went to Schlitterbahn and the Smorgasbords they had around New Braunfels. I used to love those day trips.
Pretty thriving German influences around those parts.
And when you get closer to La Grange, the Czech and German influences have combined into some occasionally wonderful things.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #145,265 of 150,256
And when you get closer to La Grange, the Czech and German influences have combined into some occasionally wonderful things.
I have often wondered about how different nationalities ended up in various parts of the US, some settled in land that reminded them of home. Hills and mountains for some, cold conditions for others made sense. Then a friend told me how his great grandparents from Germany came in through Mexico and settled in Texas.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #145,266 of 150,256
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #145,267 of 150,256
An empty station wagon .... :ksc75smile:
I'm getting a little nostalgic thinking about the station wagons of my youth. Big, luxurious Ford Country Squire cars. I think the fake wood vinyl on the side made it. Great car.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #145,268 of 150,256
Sigh.... you tube heads may have another convert. The Vali 3 showed up today. It's lovely. I'm going to have to do some serious listening to see how it compares with the Jot2 to try to qualify the sonic difference. Unfortunately, I can't find my TRS cable for the ZMF's so I'm listening with the Aeon RTs. I don't know if it was a volume thing or just buyer's expectation bias, but The Koln Concert sounded wonderful. Now I'm wondering "So if one tube sounds like this, what would four tubes sound like?" And down the slippery slope I go. Also started looking at tube prices which I had previously been immune to.
.... immunity 😤 ----> immoneyty 😳🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #145,269 of 150,256
Oh, you can bet your butt! 😁

Not my actual Frühstück, sadly, mostly because I can’t get actually good soft pretzels or rolls to safe my life over here. But close enough for illustration purposes.

With that said, there’s a nice restaurant up in Sutter Creek, CA, the creatively named Sutter Creek Hotel, and they have pretty decent soft pretzels on the menu. They dowse them in butter, which I don’t love, but they’re better than most other soft pretzels I’ve ever had on the west coast. And there’s a German bakery in San Jose, CA, that’s got some pretty good stuff. But they’re both a bit too far away from where I live to go fetch some fresh baked goods for a proper breakfast.

Fingers crossed that this will change once I’m in Texas. The area that I’ll be moving to in a few weeks has a strong, active German background, and here’s hoping that there’s at least one solid bakery in driving distance.

Speaking of soft pretzels…
I don’t remember where exactly that was, but one of the best soft pretzels I’ve ever had was in Manhattan, somewhere around the Hell’s Kitchen area. Warm and crunchy and just the right amount of salt — and filled with marzipan! 😳
Sounds like an abomination? Sounds like heresy? Oh, you’ve got no idea! The only heresy here is that it tasted like literal heaven on earth!

Oh, you can bet your butt! 😁

1711377915504.jpeg

Not my actual Frühstück, sadly, mostly because I can’t get actually good soft pretzels or rolls to safe my life over here. But close enough for illustration purposes.

With that said, there’s a nice restaurant up in Sutter Creek, CA, the creatively named Sutter Creek Hotel, and they have pretty decent soft pretzels on the menu. They dowse them in butter, which I don’t love, but they’re better than most other soft pretzels I’ve ever had on the west coast. And there’s a German bakery in San Jose, CA, that’s got some pretty good stuff. But they’re both a bit too far away from where I live to go fetch some fresh baked goods for a proper breakfast.

Fingers crossed that this will change once I’m in Texas. The area that I’ll be moving to in a few weeks has a strong, active German background, and here’s hoping that there’s at least one solid bakery in driving distance.

Speaking of soft pretzels…
I don’t remember where exactly that was, but one of the best soft pretzels I’ve ever had was in Manhattan, somewhere around the Hell’s Kitchen area. Warm and crunchy and just the right amount of salt — and filled with marzipan! 😳
Sounds like an abomination? Sounds like heresy? Oh, you’ve got no idea! The only heresy here is that it tasted like literal heaven on earth! 🤤
Actually a nearby Lidl does the trick for warm Brötchen and Brezeln. It's the same as German average.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #145,270 of 150,256
No knock against your dad. I would be curious to meet the person who DID anticipate the digitisation of everything.
There's a scifi story from 1909 about that.
As well as Forster predicting globalisation, the Internet, video conferencing and other aspects of 21st-century reality, Will Gompertz, writing on the BBC website on 30 May 2020, observed, "'The Machine Stops' is not simply prescient; it is a jaw-droppingly, gob-smackingly, breathtakingly accurate literary description of lockdown life in 2020."[3]
There's another set of stories even more accurate in its description of the internet from the '40s. I can't find it - this set is amusing.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #145,271 of 150,256
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #145,272 of 150,256
Tonight's non-Jazz recommendation. Another stroll down memory lane. :D

1711419038165.png

** It may not be great, but it was fun!!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #145,273 of 150,256
Already did! And you'll notice Vali 3 sittin' pretty up top, so assertions from the (usual) peanut gallery that it's an old picture won't fly. 🤣 And I may have something for you too. Probably not going to be liquor, 'cause if you get much more at this point the state may require you to get a liquor license. :laughing:

Vali 3 Powered.jpg
Nice but a trick of perspective (hopefully) makes the Vali look like its off kilter... Listing to the left like one of us after a late night session of Scotch and Marilyn Manson....

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #145,275 of 150,256
So lange we're chatting über German restaurants...

I've dined at some of the best restaurants in Europe, including in Germany and Austria. The best Schnitzel I've ever eaten, as well as the best Schweinshaxe I've ever eaten, even better than at Kloster Andechs, is at this place in Sarasota:

https://grandpas-schnitzel.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back