Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #145,276 of 151,744
My great-grandson two weeks before his first birthday.

Auggie 2024-2-5.JPEG

:beerchug:
JC
I'm not at the end of my life, but I'm pretty sure I can see it from here. (Don't let the Old Man in).

My Niece gave me a photo frame with Bluetooth. New pix of the toddler almost every day. One of my daily highlights.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #145,277 of 151,744
Just remember there are adapters that can allow for other tubes to be used in a Vali 3, there are options.😀
Is that American manufacturer up & running? Do they make "adaptable" tubes?

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #145,279 of 151,744
No knock against your dad. I would be curious to meet the person who DID anticipate the digitisation of everything.
Cleaning out my Grandad's house, I donated 33 boxes of Nat. Geo., from the first issue, to the local library. They're probably composting in the mix.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #145,280 of 151,744
Finding true NOS now days is rare. Finding used but NOS measuring is getting harder.

I hear ya. One reason I've never owned a Vali is there's no way I could mentally get past paying more for a tube than my amp. That's why I own a Lyr 3 and an Incubus. More and higher priced tube options without being mentally conflicted. 🤣

I would not have been able to amass my hoard at these prices. Fortunately I got started years ago.

It's s the new normal it seems.
😕
I've always considered the tube to be the 'real' amplifier. The metal, wires and cardboard are the minor players in the game. Use better circuitry or cardboard and that will allow the tube to 'shine' brighter. The price of a tube compared to its metal mate doesn't bother me. What gets to me is the price of a tube sold today vs. what that tube cost when I was working in an electronics repair shop in the '70s. Supply and demand and the good old supply is going, going....New production of tubes is improving, although very slowly and some new tubes cost almost as much as NOS. And then we play music through any tube and remember.....

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #145,281 of 151,744
So lange we're chatting über German restaurants...

I've dined at some of the best restaurants in Europe, including in Germany and Austria. The best Schnitzel I've ever eaten, as well as the best Schweinshaxe I've ever eaten, even better than at Kloster Andechs, is at this place in Sarasota:

https://grandpas-schnitzel.com/
I’m a 30 year Brit expat who retired from Siemens in Houston nearly 3 years ago - these posts are making me miss visits to the Altstadt in Düsseldorf and drinking Altbier in Uerige with the waiters marking your beer mat everytime they delivered one - then on to Zum Schiffchen for Schweinhaxe.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #145,282 of 151,744
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #145,283 of 151,744
I'm getting a little nostalgic thinking about the station wagons of my youth. Big, luxurious Ford Country Squire cars. I think the fake wood vinyl on the side made it. Great car.
Sitting in the very back riding backwards... Makes me kind of queasy just thinking about it.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #145,284 of 151,744
I've always considered the tube to be the 'real' amplifier. The metal, wires and cardboard are the minor players in the game. Use better circuitry or cardboard and that will allow the tube to 'shine' brighter. The price of a tube compared to its metal mate doesn't bother me. What gets to me is the price of a tube sold today vs. what that tube cost when I was working in an electronics repair shop in the '70s. Supply and demand and the good old supply is going, going....New production of tubes is improving, although very slowly and some new tubes cost almost as much as NOS. And then we play music through any tube and remember.....
The value of an item is what people are willing to pay for it. Baseball cards are a great example. Just paper stock, but rarity and the quality of the player’s career makes a difference.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #145,285 of 151,744
Clearing out my parents' house back in 2011, we literally had to dump decades of magazines and journals as my father hadn't anticipated the digitisation of everything. And that was even before trying to get rid of over 1000 books.
IMG_1543.JPG.jpeg
I had a similar experience re my parents, which is why I'm committed to slim down our library before our kids are faced with the challenge. Audio gear (especially tubes) is different story, though...

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #145,286 of 151,744
OK. I have to throw in a Jazz/ Big Band throwback (stroll down memory lane). MF Horn 2 | Country Road is my favorite cut.

1711421465077.png

** I used to play trumpet in a Jazz stage band and the Country Road solo fell to me for our performances. Now I didn't hit the high notes like Maynard Ferguson, but I wasn't too shabby. Music has been a big thing for me for a loooooong time. :D

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #145,287 of 151,744
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #145,290 of 151,744

Users who are viewing this thread

Back