Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #144,197 of 149,552
OK tube experts I need some help. Found these from when I used a Nobsound a decade or more ago. Will these work in my Vali2++? Currently enjoying a GE JAN 5670W immensely, but have the itch to tube roll. Thanks in advance.

20240320_155103 (Large).jpg
20240320_155040 (Large).jpg
20240320_155015 (Large).jpg

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #144,198 of 149,552
Eh... Anything new? Like, somebody after the 60s? Anybody from the last quarter century?

Christian McBride and/or ill Considered come to mind

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #144,199 of 149,552
OK tube experts I need some help. Found these from when I used a Nobsound a decade or more ago. Will these work in my Vali2++? Currently enjoying a GE JAN 5670W immensely, but have the itch to tube roll. Thanks in advance.

There are some reports of using them on the ++ using these https://www.ebay.com/itm/191597450984

Though I suspect @bcowen is currently typing the full answer

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #144,200 of 149,552
Some of you were kind enough to enquire after me during my 3-month absence from Head-Fi and were kind enough to welcome me back upon my return. I have recovered enough to share with you what I have learned during my adventures.

1. The fruit of the Paw Paw Tree https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimina_triloba is considered a delicacy but contains a neurotoxin that can cause Nausea and Vomiting in susceptible individuals. The episodes can be severe and can last over 17 hours. It is important to rehydrate between episodes of nausea and vomiting with World Health Organization Oral Rehydration Fluid or you will be forced to the hospital for IV fluids. It is important to watch for lack of urine output. Once the vomiting stops, jaundice can set in, luckily this only lasts a few days. Even in nonsusceptible people, heavy consumption of the fruit can lead to early Parkinson's Disease.

2. Influenza and food poisoning together can present with symptoms similar to Norovirus, leading to a delay in diagnosis and treatment.

3. Influenza can flare asthma.

4. Doctors make the worst patients.

5. Self treatment of asthma and inappropriate avoidance of systemic steroids can lead to high intrathoracic pressure, causing decrease in cardiac output. This can lead to your spouse finding you passed out on the floor.

6. Subsequently awaking in the hospital with your spouse threatening you with certain death.

7. Self Loathing, when you realize that the low cardiac out led to mild rhabdomyolysis.

8. Systemic steroids can interfere with your sleep and make you lose muscle mass.

9. Recovery requires rest. A lot of it. 10 hours a night plus a 2 hour nap for about 2 weeks followed by 10 hours of sleep per night for 3 weeks

Hopefully everyone(me) will have learned something from all this.
Glad that you're back!

Be well!

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #144,201 of 149,552
Some of you were kind enough to enquire after me during my 3-month absence from Head-Fi and were kind enough to welcome me back upon my return. I have recovered enough to share with you what I have learned during my adventures.

1. The fruit of the Paw Paw Tree https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asimina_triloba is considered a delicacy but contains a neurotoxin that can cause Nausea and Vomiting in susceptible individuals. The episodes can be severe and can last over 17 hours. It is important to rehydrate between episodes of nausea and vomiting with World Health Organization Oral Rehydration Fluid or you will be forced to the hospital for IV fluids. It is important to watch for lack of urine output. Once the vomiting stops, jaundice can set in, luckily this only lasts a few days. Even in nonsusceptible people, heavy consumption of the fruit can lead to early Parkinson's Disease.

2. Influenza and food poisoning together can present with symptoms similar to Norovirus, leading to a delay in diagnosis and treatment.

5. Self treatment of asthma and inappropriate avoidance of systemic steroids can lead to high intrathoracic pressure, causing decrease in cardiac output. This can lead to your spouse finding you passed out on the floor.

6. Subsequently awaking in the hospital with your spouse threatening you with certain death.

7. Self Loathing, when you realize that the low cardiac out led to mild rhabdomyolysis.

8. Systemic steroids can interfere with your sleep and make you lose muscle mass.

9. Recovery requires rest. A lot of it. 10 hours a night plus a 2 hour nap for about 2 weeks followed by 10 hours of sleep per night for 3 weeks

Wow. Very glad to see you back.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #144,202 of 149,552
So you ate the poisoned fruit and almost died... just wow.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #144,203 of 149,552

The Gold Lion and the Electro-Harmonix will work but you'll have to have an adapter. A 12AU7 / 12AT7 / 12AX7 (all have the same pinout) to the 6NP3 / 5670 / 2C51 socket in your Vali.. The 12AU7 has a lower amplification factor than the 6N3P the Vali 2++ comes with (20 versus 33). If you have more than plenty of volume with the stock tube into the HP's you're using, you'll probably be fine with the 12AU7, just be aware you'll get less gain. The E180F is a single pentode (rather than a dual triode), so you'd have to have two of them with an appropriate adapter to work. As well, it's electrical characteristics (and optimum operating points) are not well suited to the Vali 2++.

Edit: just saw @Orange5o 's post, and the adapter he linked is exactly what you'll need for the 12AU7 / ECC82's.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #144,205 of 149,552
Tonight's music selection (Jazz) is a variation on last night's...

Love Flim and the BBs. And I'll take a DMP produced CD over a MoFi Ultra disc ANYDAY! Massive Dynamic Range!

Listen if only to see how good PCM 16/44.1 can really sound.

(Don't tell Mark Levinson or my liver and kidneys, however. 😉)

1000005094.jpg
Gosh, I bought all the DMP cds waaaaaaaay back then....they still are classics!!

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #144,206 of 149,552
Ha its sold!!
Which one of you guys got this deal!

:>)
Alex
It was gone like 10 minutes after you posted it. :laughing: Coincidence? Not!! (wasn't me tho') That was a good deal for that tube testing as it was, so whoever got it did well.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #144,207 of 149,552

That sounds scary. Glad to see you're back and I hope in good health.

Cheers,
JC

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #144,208 of 149,552
The Gold Lion and the Electro-Harmonix will work but you'll have to have an adapter. A 12AU7 / 12AT7 / 12AX7 (all have the same pinout) to the 6NP3 / 5670 / 2C51 socket in your Vali.. The 12AU7 has a lower amplification factor than the 6N3P the Vali 2++ comes with (20 versus 33). If you have more than plenty of volume with the stock tube into the HP's you're using, you'll probably be fine with the 12AU7, just be aware you'll get less gain. The E180F is a single pentode (rather than a dual triode), so you'd have to have two of them with an appropriate adapter to work. As well, it's electrical characteristics (and optimum operating points) are not well suited to the Vali 2++.

Edit: just saw @Orange5o 's post, and the adapter he linked is exactly what you'll need for the 12AU7 / ECC82's.
Thanks you sensei - much appreciated.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #144,209 of 149,552
Keep in mind that the regular GE, RCA, Sylvania were also made to the same very tight tolerances. Don’t be afraid of those either. Oddly, the 6N3P that arrived with my 2++ is one of my best sounding tubes. Every once in a while, you get one that surprises you!
Not afraid of those. Have all those and more in the 396A/2C51/5670/6N3P bin. However, as with most tube manufacturers, early versions of the 5670 family were built to tight tolerances specified by the design engineers. Later versions were built to the tight tolerances of the cost accountants. 🤣

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #144,210 of 149,552
Mixed in with the other 250 boxes in the soon-to-be audio room waiting to be unpacked. My silly wife seems to be more focused on getting the kitchen and bedrooms set up first. I know, I know, but sometimes marriage requires compromise. 🤣

When I was moving a lot more (student, renting, etc.) the stereo was the last thing to be dismantled and packed and the first to be unpacked and set up. Couldn't move without my tunes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back