Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #143,822 of 149,691
The only Aegirs available for order are silver and 120 volt. How were you able to order 230 volt in black?

He said ordered on Feb 2, could be the Aegir 1? or a typo of date? or a typo of model?

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #143,823 of 149,691
Sorry for the misleading, it should be the aegir 2.

You said you ordered on Feb 2, or Fed 28? or March 2? and how much you pay? $699 or $899?

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #143,824 of 149,691
so yesterday i picked up an old tape deck, cd changer, and reel to reel (i’ve never used one of these before) at a moving sale. i’m not looking to connect speakers, I just want to clean these up, repair as needed, and set up a listening station for my headphones. i have an og asgard, a Lyr 2, and a magni piety, and then I have a MB2 as my dac. do you all recommend i get a separate/specific schiit amp for this listening application or do you think one of the amps i have will work well? the reel to reel is a Teac X-7R, the tape deck is a Harman/Kardon hk 400 xm, and the cd changer is a Pioneer PD-M453
Your Asgard, Lyr and Piety are great headphone amps as well as great pre-amps. You can connect them directly to powered speakers. If you are using passive speakers, you will need a power amp between pre-amp and speakers...Rekkr, Gjallarhorn, Aegir...

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #143,825 of 149,691
We have found that ordering anything shipped via UPS or FedEx is a great way to get to know the neighbors. :)
I have had no issues except for a Fed Ex driver who claimed we were never home when it came time to deliver cases of wine. He either objected to the contents or did not want to lift the boxes. I finally sent camera footage showing the truck never made it down our street when he claimed he came by lol. If a squirrel runs across our front yard my security cameras pick it up. I have serious tubes to safe guard.🤪

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #143,827 of 149,691
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #143,828 of 149,691
I have had no issues except for a Fed Ex driver who claimed we were never home when it came time to deliver cases of wine. He either objected to the contents or did not want to lift the boxes. I finally sent camera footage showing the truck never made it down our street when he claimed he came by lol. If a squirrel runs across our front yard my security cameras pick it up. I have serious tubes to safe guard.🤪
Finally, a statement if truth concerning the contents of his storage building.

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #143,830 of 149,691
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #143,831 of 149,691
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #143,832 of 149,691
I can't stop to post Jazz .... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Blame the MMB2 and Aegir 1 ~

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 22.30.45.png

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 22.34.08.png

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #143,834 of 149,691
Well, I was thinking of some related Russian tubes, and a secret stash of large beam power pentodes. I suppose that these gems are buried behind a wall of Fotons to fool the casual audio thief.

The thief will take all ...... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #143,835 of 149,691
Yup. I started planning in late 2023 for a “Year of Audio” for 2024. Starting with headphones, going down the Schitty Path seemed the most productive. Those on here who have IRAs and have hit the magic 70.5 or 72.5 (depending) know about the demands of the RMD. Required Minimum Distribution. My money guy suggested that I use some of the money to do/get something I really wanted/liked. For this year I decided audio. The Yggy, Mjolnir, Empryean kit seems like it should hold me for a long time. Next comes considerations for the living room two channel stuff. I love what I read here as it helps guide my decision making.

EDIT - Oh, and I’m struggling with which streaming service to get. (And for marital bliss, I’d like to just settle on just one.) I dumped Spotify since no HiRes. Trying Apple Music now (I’m a full on Apple guy, two Mac minis, MacBook Air, iPhone, iPad, etc.) but not sure about Quobuz or Tidal. All listening done off hard wire up in my home office. What say ye, oh wise ones?
I’m another Qobuz vote for reasons others have already mentioned especially Roon integration.

Of all criteria that might be used when choosing a streaming service, the least critical IMO is the availability of HiRes. I read somewhere that only about 8% of available music is in HiRes. Of that 8%, I strongly suspect that much of it is simply up-converted 44/16 CD quality files.

FWIW, I own software that allows me to rip standard CDs to HiRes 96/24 or even DSD files. The only thing this accomplishes is wasting of hard drive space. The files sound identical to 44/16 rips of the CD.

If you end up with HiRes access that’s great. However, I'm relatively certain that even with your chosen gear you will be hard pressed to hear meaningful differences between CD quality and HiRes.

As always, YMMV IMO etc. Happy listening.

AirPlay is perplexing. It feels like Apple was so busy standing around in a special kind of circle congratulating themselves on their cool wireless protocol that the rest of the industry caught up and then left them behind. And then they continue to make it worse by insisting on a proprietary closed environment.
Lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back