Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #143,806 of 151,994
i don’t own a pre amp. i take it a need a pre amp and one of my current amps or another schiit?
the RCA line-level inputs on those HP amps should work just fine for initially testing the new-to-you gear, but don't offer selection between multiple sources/inputs (that a pre-amp offers). remember to always turn the volume to zero when changing connections (lest you blow out your ears or HP drivers.)

if the CD changer has a digital output (toslink optical or s/pdif RCA coaxial typically color-coded brown or orange) that could be fed into your DAC

Mar 18, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #143,807 of 151,994
Since a few months we even have the first beer brewery of the UAE right here in Abu Dhabi. They have a bar/restaurant at the same place. Quite cool to see the stainless steel vessels from where you are eating/drinking (certainly when you realize that you are actually in the UAE). 13 different beers from tap, with new types added regularly.

Craft by Side Hustle
You live in an amazing place for sure, Man.

Mar 18, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #143,808 of 151,994
Late to the party here, but yeah, I have used all 6 of my schiit dacs that way.

It works great. I am especially loving Taylor Swifts concert via Disney and Helldivers 2 fed through Yggy, Rag 2, Zu speakers, and my ZMFs...

Works great. It really makes for a nice audio visual experience.

Music videos or live concert recordings through youtube are great via Schiit as well.
Helldivers 2 is fantastic.

Mar 18, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #143,809 of 151,994
Mar 18, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #143,811 of 151,994
So finally caught up.

First things first, another Qobuz user here. Has most things I want in the catalog, but that is the only weakness. Actually, tell a lie, their Android Auto app sucks.

I do use it with Roon, which is a worthwhile thing to add in. As @ArmchairPhilosopher will attest, it is not perfect, but it is the best music software available, at least in my opinion. It also adds on an Android Auto app that almost works.....

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #143,812 of 151,994
Best of all, you can get free 1-3 month trials of Apple Music, Qobuz, and Tidal. In fact, I'm comparing the current incarnations of all three right now. And if you use a service like Soundiiz for constructing and synching playlists, album collections, etc., you can figure out which service has the best library for you. Hint: they all have gaps, and since the music licensing business is maddening, you can be assured that you can't take anything for granted.

FWIW, all my opinion of course:
  • I think Apple might have the largest library, particularly taking into account their Classical service, but as others have noted, they're the most annoying in terms of getting bit-perfect recordings to your speakers without compromises along the way. Even if you're a blue dog Appleholic.
  • On my equipment and to my ears, Qobuz has -- marginally -- the best sounding streaming service. My suspicion is that they don't monkey with their content with weird equalization as I think other services might be doing. Their editorial content/approach sets them apart. On the other hand, they're playing catch-up with their competition in some key areas (Connect, radio/discovery functionality, speed of execution), which may be important to you or not.
  • Tidal, which I haven't used for quite some time, I'm finding surprisingly good. Their content sounds just slightly less unenhanced than Qobuz's, and thankfully they've toned down the effects of their hip-hop roots to be more appealing to a wider audience. They're actively developing their apps and services, and they just made their service more rational by beginning to deprecate MQA, simplifying their service offerings, and lowering their subscription pricing for most customers.
Bottom line: while none of them are perfect, any of them would be a good choice. But definitely kick the tires on all of them before making a decision. Which you can always change later, especially if you use Soundiiz to help move your collections between services.

Hope this helps!
I’m on the Apple trial and last night I signed up for the Qobuz trial. It was near bedtime so my first try was with the Meze HP directly off my Fiio M17 using the house WiFi. I downloaded the Qobuz app and signed in. Started with a new Norah Jones album (Vision) listed at 26/192. Really cool to see the litle LEDs in the M17 turn from CD blue to HiRes green. I have the Lyr 3 on my nightstand but just ran it off the DAP for starts. Today I’ll fire up the Mini in the office and see how it all sounds with the Yggy, MJ3, etc. I guess after a few days I’ll have to try out the Tidal freebie.

Thanks to all for the helpful comments. I’ll quit using so much bandwith after I get this settled in.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #143,813 of 151,994
Just wanted to share how awesome it has been seeing so many different people on here from all over the country talking about Oregon Spirit whiskies and gin.

I first started engaging in this thread with questions about my planned Schiit Kara / Aegir / Zu DW6 system I was putting together. With excellent advice from several people, most especially several messages from @mystaiced, I ended up getting a Freya N on closeout instead, being able to incorporate that into my existing system - I love that thing! - and am now just planning out funds for (now) an Aegir 2 and the Zu's.

Anyway, it's been a weird period of transition at the distillery with our head distiller retiring to move his family to Portugal for some well-earned rest and traveling. But then, the very week of his retirement, our Production Manager (and former head distiller and my mentor and one of my favorite persons in the world) Brandy announced that she, too, was leaving the distillery for an opportunity more inline with future goals. I've been at OSD for four and a half years, and the departure of these two beloved people has been impacting me in a really big way this past week. So, to see all the appreciative comments around your experiences with the spirits I get to help craft has been very helpful and cathartic for me as I adjust to new realities (and a new supervisor, aka the owner) in the weeks / months / years to come.

I'm not on here to sell anything or saturate the thread with my job, but I do so love all the feedback and photos you guys share of a product that forms the bulk of what is the best job I have ever had. So cheers to that and to y'all! I appreciate you. :)
Good luck on the transition. At least the owner has been around and knows you and the business. Hopefully, no big policy changes, at least for a while. I worked thru several transitions and, if the "shared" values aren't there, it can be disruptive. IME, don't let the quality of the incoming nor finished products slip. Those aspects of the business are highly valuable and define your process and your brand.

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #143,815 of 151,994
I’d ordered the aegir 2 230V UK plug with black finishing from 2 Feb but yet received any shipping notice. Is that normal for the new product? Cuz I’d received the Jot2 within 5 days on last August.
I've had it happen in the past that the occasional shipping notice didn't get through to me. It's rare, but it happens.
You can login at schiit.com and check your order status there.
If that doesn't help, contact orders@schiit.com and ask them about the status of your order. They're always happy to help.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #143,816 of 151,994
Glad you like it, sorry you had an issue. That box should have gone from UPS to USPS just like many Amazon packages. Economy rate. At least you knew where to look.🤪
I finished one more just to see how it would turn out, catalpa has some amazing features. The grain stands out so much. IMG_7545.jpegIMG_7546.jpeg

This one is extra in case anyone likes live edge. I made it reversible for two sizes of glasses.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #143,817 of 151,994
I've had it happen in the past that the occasional shipping notice didn't get through to me. It's rare, but it happens.
If that doesn't help, contact orders@schiit.com and ask them about the status of your order. They're always happy to help.

Quote the order number as well.

But.... Feb 2? Aegir 2 announced on Feb 28.....

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #143,818 of 151,994

Quote the order number as well.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, an email was sent for asking the estimated shipping day and knowing that they don’t have the 230V version in stock. Unfortunately they didn’t reply on the shipping day. Gosh, I can’t waiting for hearing the brand new aegir!

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #143,819 of 151,994
Glad you like it, sorry you had an issue. That box should have gone from UPS to USPS just like many Amazon packages. Economy rate. At least you knew where to look.🤪
We have found that ordering anything shipped via UPS or FedEx is a great way to get to know the neighbors. :)

Mar 18, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #143,820 of 151,994
Thanks for the reply. Yes, an email was sent for asking the estimated shipping day and knowing that they don’t have the 230V version in stock. Unfortunately they didn’t reply on the shipping day. Gosh, I can’t waiting for hearing the brand new aegir!
The only Aegirs available for order are silver and 120 volt. How were you able to order 230 volt in black?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back