Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #143,086 of 149,685
Has anyone here used a Gumby, Bifrost, or Yggy as a TV DAC via Optical?

I want to upgrade from the built in Sabre DAC in my Arcam integrated amp. It'll be fed the TV via Optical, Blu-Ray player via Coax, and probably my music server via USB to a 2 channel setup. I thought I had read (on various forums) that some Gumby owners had minor issues on occasion while using it connected to a TV. Just thought I'd ask this group...

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #143,087 of 149,685
I had to pay $5000 each for a set of three fuses once. They were rated at 5000A 600V and installed in a mains service center for an industrial building. For audio equipment? Uh, no.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #143,088 of 149,685
Lot's of Jazz & Classical mentioned in the last few days. Time for some blues -

Taj.jpg

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #143,089 of 149,685

I want to upgrade from the built in Sabre DAC in my Arcam integrated amp. It'll be fed the TV via Optical, Blu-Ray player via Coax, and probably my music server via USB to a 2 channel setup. I thought I had read (on various forums) that some Gumby owners had minor issues on occasion while using it connected to a TV. Just thought I'd ask this group...
I currently have my TV connected to my Yggy via optical and my Blu-Ray player via coax and streamer via USB. I had the same setup with my Bifrost 2/64. In both cases, it has worked fine. I’ve never had a Gumby so I can’t comment on that.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #143,090 of 149,685

I use Yggy with my TV via the TV's optical. No issues. FWIW, I previously used a Denafrips Ares DAC and the lip-sync issue made it unusable for TV watching.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #143,091 of 149,685
Lot's of Jazz & Classical mentioned in the last few days. Time for some blues -

:thumbsup:

Sorry, I am addicted to Jazz with the Aegir OG. MMB2 .....

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #143,092 of 149,685
1x GHorn vs 1x Rekkr

OK. Since Aegir 2 has replaced my 2x GHorns in my speaker rig, I thought it might be time some provide MY thoughts on 1x GHorn vs 1x Rekkr on my desktop rig.

I’ll try to be to the point. The Rekkr is a very good amp. GHorn is a very, very good amp. I’ll focus on the commonalities and then the differences that I experienced in my desktop rig, with my gear, using my ears, and my music. (Spoiler: The GHorn probably wins).

Things in common:
  • Both amps are BLACK.
  • Both have power switches on the back.
  • Both produce sound when fed an analog signal and connected to speakers.
  • Both produce adequate output to drive my desktop speakers.
  • Both have inaudible levels of distortion when driven within their design limits.
Where the GHorn wins (possibly):
  • It's a tad louder when turning the volume knob farther to the right.
    • Had to switch to low gain in order to get better use of the volume pot.
  • It's more expensive, so it's gotta be better.
  • It's bigger, so it's definitely gotta be better.
  • It's got more power so it's absolutely gotta be better.
Summary:

Well, the summary is not going to be Earth shattering. The GHorn is probably better. Does it deliver notable improvements over Rekkr? Surely it must. Moar $$ + Moar Bigger + Moar Power = Moar Louder so after applying the transitive law of audio, Moar Louder = Moar Better sound.

My Desktop Speaker Rig:

OG Piety HP amplifier
Schiit Bifrost 2/64
1 pair of Tom's Radial Speakers (4 Ohm)
Acoustic Audio PSW-8 subwoofer

Listened to: Beck 'Sea Change' -- Pono remaster

Disclaimer: YMMV.

Seriously: I like it better and may very well pull this remaining GHorn off the Classifieds section and post-up the Rekkr. Or I may not as it is likely all audio-hallucinatory. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #143,093 of 149,685

I've auditioned quite a bit of gear with this album and it's the very first thing I played through my brand new Modi Multibit in July 2016. I most remember being awed at how realistic the drummer's wood blocks sounded.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #143,095 of 149,685

Ableza would say that each output should be fed to an individual DAC so you will need to buy three separate Yggies for them. I kid, I kid.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #143,096 of 149,685

Samsung tv>Blue Jeans Cable optical>Bifrost 2...zero problems.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #143,097 of 149,685
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #143,098 of 149,685
Ableza would say that each output should be fed to an individual DAC so you will need to buy three separate Yggies for them. I kid, I kid.

Modi Multibit 2 would be fine, it has USB, Coax and Toalink(optical) inputs, plus NOS mode.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #143,099 of 149,685
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #143,100 of 149,685

I currently have Bifrost 2/64 hooked up to my TV via optical (from Blue Jeans Cables) and have had no issues with it at all. It works perfectly all the time. When I watch movies or TV shows via my 2 channel setup, it's like being in a theater, it's so realistic. First time I watched a movie with cars driving by, it set my dog off barking everytime thinking a car was coming down the driveway. I just recently acquired a Gumby, but haven't tried that out yet. I can report back once I do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back