Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 14, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #143,116 of 151,835
These cans are waiting patiently for the Vali 3!!

Been a loooooooog road to here....such a wonderful journey!
ive always wanted to hear Final D8000

a fine collection, Sir

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #143,117 of 151,835
... I can “justify” (ha!) splurging on something like a Bifrost/64 or Yggy. ...

(Of course, I’m one of those weird “soundstage with live unamplified music properly recorded” dudes… :wink:)
Try an MMB2 and I'll buy it from you once you decide it sux or you need an Yggy.

I wish it were easier to find live unamplified music in the wild. Symphonies and opera seem to be about it these days....

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #143,118 of 151,835
Has anyone here used a Gumby, Bifrost, or Yggy as a TV DAC via Optical?

I want to upgrade from the built in Sabre DAC in my Arcam integrated amp. It'll be fed the TV via Optical, Blu-Ray player via Coax, and probably my music server via USB to a 2 channel setup. I thought I had read (on various forums) that some Gumby owners had minor issues on occasion while using it connected to a TV. Just thought I'd ask this group...
Have had modi, mmb2, modius e, and bf2 via optical from TV with no issue

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #143,119 of 151,835
my God what a stack lol. #outofroom
I know you've been waiting quite a bit for that Flux but it's completely unacceptable. Way too small to support the awesomeness that is Yggy.

I can take it off your hands when you find a suitable Yggy stand/headamp....

jk! jk! it does look nice.

Mar 14, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #143,120 of 151,835
Try an MMB2 and I'll buy it from you once you decide it sux or you need an Yggy.

I wish it were easier to find live unamplified music in the wild. Symphonies and opera seem to be about it these days....
you wanna buy this GungnirMB a2 w/ Unison before I send it back? It's a perfect match for your Mjolnir3.

And honestly the Gungnir a2 and Yggy A1 so so alike it's almost weird. I'm keeping the Yggy but Gumby A2 is a helluva value.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #143,121 of 151,835
I know you've been waiting quite a bit for that Flux but it's completely unacceptable. Way too small to support the awesomeness that is Yggy.

I can take it off your hands when you find a suitable Yggy stand/headamp....

jk! jk! it does look nice.
:L3000:

the flux is actually big af depthwise. look how much bigger it is than Gumby lol.

day1.jpg

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #143,124 of 151,835
You should turn one of them 90 degrees then you'd have them aligned
I'm keeping the Yggy- that was Gumby's final resting spot before resale/return. Awesome DAC but Yggy is sexier and still upgradeable. About $400 more than the Gumby in my situation which was a tough call tbh.

This is a bit better alignment.

Aside: Herman Miller Embody is the greatest desk chair ever ever. 4 years in and still amazing.

day1c.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #143,125 of 151,835
you wanna buy this GungnirMB a2 w/ Unison before I send it back? It's a perfect match for your Mjolnir3.

And honestly the Gungnir a2 and Yggy A1 so so alike it's almost weird. I'm keeping the Yggy but Gumby A2 is a helluva value.
No, Yes, so I've heard, and yes. :wink:

I had a Gumby and the DAC I'm using now is superior to it with the MJ3. Only just and the tiebreaker was that the DAC I kept is also a streamer.

Someday I'm getting an MMB2 to match my MagPi. The Fulla I'm using just looks wrong :-D
One stumbling block there is that the MagPi is dark grey and I can't decide black or silver. My antipathy to black might rule the day and the kids did say silver looks better, too.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #143,126 of 151,835
Has anyone here used a Gumby, Bifrost, or Yggy as a TV DAC via Optical?

I want to upgrade from the built in Sabre DAC in my Arcam integrated amp. It'll be fed the TV via Optical, Blu-Ray player via Coax, and probably my music server via USB to a 2 channel setup. I thought I had read (on various forums) that some Gumby owners had minor issues on occasion while using it connected to a TV. Just thought I'd ask this group...
I hooked up Yggy to my tv via optical and it worked just fine.

Currently I have Modi Multibit 2 connected via optical. I have a Saga+ with LSST as preamp and a single Gjallerhorn driving a pair of 2-way tower speakers.

This system has Apple TV, Xbox, and Switch sources all plugged into the TV via hdmi. I’m happily blown away by how good it all sounds! Watching shows on HBO Max has lead me to finding lots of cool music I likely never would’ve heard otherwise.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #143,127 of 151,835
IMG_7516.jpeg

Finnegan being Finnegan.

Mar 14, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #143,128 of 151,835
A bit of Bourbon before retiring to the listening room?

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #143,130 of 151,835
1x GHorn vs 1x Rekkr

Things in common:

• Both amps are BLACK.
Where the GHorn wins (possibly):
  • It's got more power so it's absolutely gotta be better.
Summary:

Well, the summary is not going to be Earth shattering. The GHorn is probably better. Does it deliver notable improvements over Rekkr? Surely it must. Moar $$ + Moar Bigger + Moar Power = Moar Louder so after applying the transitive law of audio, Moar Louder = Moar Better sound.

My Desktop Speaker Rig:

OG Piety HP amplifier
Schiit Bifrost 2/64

Seriously: I like it better and may very well pull this remaining GHorn off the Classifieds section and post-up the Rekkr. Or I may not as it is likely all audio-hallucinatory. :wink:
My unsolicited opinion (is there any other kind?) is to match the size of your amp with the size of your other gear.

I know, not helpful in your case.

I tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back