Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #143,071 of 151,899
Which gain stage do you prefer? x1 or x4?
I’m using x4… I *have to* when doing LP (via Skoll at 70dB gain) to get my normal listening setting to be around 1PM (remember my apogee’s are super not sensitive, IIRC around 84dB/Watt?). And that roughly aligns volume when I switch to CD (if I went to 1X it’d be way different than LP).

I didn’t here noticeable differences x1 versus x4 in my tests; TBH I’m optimized for LP playback for the foreseeable future.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #143,072 of 151,899
The real magic starts once you have released the Smoke Genie!

The Magic starts when the marketing team gets together to figure out how to sell Chinese cable at a 1500 percent markup, in some cases. 🤪 The wording and promise of miracles is so important.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #143,073 of 151,899
Some of the RCA Living Stereo recordings were remastered for SACD (88.2 kHz) and are available digitally. They sound better (to me) than the corresponding CDs. Some favorite Reiner/CSO issues:

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 11.48.10 PM.png
Yep, SACD was my “final” attempt 15-20 years ago to get digital that sounded GOOD. Of those 4 you posted, I have the Scheherazade (quite possible the best classical recording ever, IMHO), and the Mussorgsky as well. I also have LSC’s for both of them (both original pressings in relatively low stamper numbers, and reissues from places like Acoustic Sounds, etc.)

In fact SACD was the reason I got the Cambridge Audio Azur… my CAL Delta wouldn’t play em!

And, those SACDs do sound wonderful, but, the LPs (for now) are better. (I.e. for that Reiner/Chicago Scheherazade, etc.). Now, for non-acoustic, non-classical, non-minimally-miked/mixed music, SACD in particular, can really blow one away. I prefer the SACD version of Pink Floyd’s Wish you were here to its LP counterpart (whether original pressing, or more recent “audiophile” repressing on heavy vinyl, etc.). To earlier posts, it’s because there is no “real” soundstage to be chased/had, let alone KNOWN and experienced! In those cases, one must go on: does it sound GUUD 2 ME? But with classical, i can objectively distinguish enough to improve when/where needed.

This isn’t a religion for me (although the first 10 years I was on the *all digital sucks” bandwagon - much like Mike Moffat (sounds like ass)… but, I’m “coming around” (that said my hearing today is almost certainly not what it was 30+ years ago).

I’ll know a lot more once I get something like an Yggy, Bifrost/64. Question: how does Gumby or other, earlier Schiit multi-bits compare to those two (available new). Money’s not exactly flowing like spring water, and I would definitely consider used.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #143,074 of 151,899
This from Tuesday seems germane to the conversation: https://www.stereophile.com/content/assessing-sonic-illusions

"Is he saying that microphones don't accurately capture sound? It depends what you mean by "accurately." Microphones "don't operate or 'hear' like human ears," Tom wrote, "and their placement and use is determined by aesthetic factors." In use, then, a microphone is alien, and the thing it produces—a typically two-channel electrical signal that's preserved as a recording—is subjective."

Can delete if I've revived @Ableza's horse lol ☠️ but did find it interesting
Listen to a good Mercury or RCA of a great orchestra from the late 50’s or early 60’s Orchestral work, and then get back to me… :wink:

The Mohr’s/Layton’s and Fine’s of the recording world figured out HOW to do it - demonstrably. The secret is chasing a “standard” that one “knows”… sound of real, unamplified music in a familiar location. Yes, that sound is subjectively unique to any given single listener. But, if that listener is familiar with how the music sounded live, they can use that reference to adjust ever closer towards achieving it.

Microphones are part of a “system”, and that system CAN be adjusted tuned to sound more real. HP did some really excellent writings on exactly this topic back in the day; as did JGH. Without them, we’d still have crappy audio that doesn’t sound real to this day. JA took this even further with his own recordings of his local Santa Fe Orchestra. Familiar sound (live). Familiar place (live). Versus recording… rinse/repeat.

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #143,075 of 151,899
Hope we get a Vali 3 writeup today--on the assumption that Jason has had time to actually get the chapter finished, I know he's very busy. I just get excited for new products from Schiit!

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #143,076 of 151,899
Hope we get a Vali 3 writeup today--on the assumption that Jason has had time to actually get the chapter finished, I know he's very busy. I just get excited for new products from Schiit!
The url of the Vali is now vali-3, it will come at anytime ....

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #143,077 of 151,899
Yep, I know.

A relatively local public library is having a “media sale” this weekend, tens of 1000’s of CD’s, DVD’s and books. Nothing more than $2 each. I’m thinking of scoring a LOAD of good CD reissues of whatever I know is good on LP…

Then I can “justify” (ha!) splurging on something like a Bifrost/64 or Yggy. As of today, I only have about 200 CDs. Some of which “overlap” my LP’s.

Note for the record: I have not YET found digital that is better, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist TODAY. But it sure as hell didn’t exist in 1990, not even with the Theta gear (of that time). They were the best (which is why I *think* I’ll like Schiit True multi-bit), but they didn’t top my analog in any ways meaningful - to me/my ears.

I’m hopeful, frankly; I’d LOVE if that were now the case, because it’s pretty easy to score CD’s still.

(Of course, I’m one of those weird “soundstage with live unamplified music properly recorded” dudes… :wink:)
You can get some really good stuff from library sales for next to nothing. A lot of the time the vinyl looks like it has never been played before from my experience.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #143,078 of 151,899
Thanks, Tom, but I wouldn't use it. I certainly do admire your woodworking skills.

The last time I had Blanton's, I was disappointed. It had always been so, you know, high end, but it just didn't impress me. Perhaps I need to try again. :)
You’re not alone. I find it passable but boring.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #143,079 of 151,899
Still waiting for photos...maybe today, maybe tomorrow.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #143,080 of 151,899
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #143,081 of 151,899
He is an awesome talent! I saw him in Peter Gabriels's band for the I/O Tour. I've been enjoying his various albums via Qobuz, including that one.

Glad you like it ~ :)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #143,082 of 151,899
This isn’t a religion for me (although the first 10 years I was on the *all digital sucks” bandwagon - much like Mike Moffat (sounds like ass)… but, I’m “coming around” (that said my hearing today is almost certainly not what it was 30+ years ago).

I’ll know a lot more once I get something like an Yggy, Bifrost/64. Question: how does Gumby or other, earlier Schiit multi-bits compare to those two (available new). Money’s not exactly flowing like spring water, and I would definitely consider used.
Interesting that my opinion of early digital was much the same. In fact, it was the Theta DS Pro Basic that finally made digital listenable for me. My LP system then was still better in almost all respects, but the Theta eliminated the gnashy bite in the treble (digititis) that my ears couldn't handle. IIRC I purchased that in '91 or '92 for $2k. That's roughly $4500 in today's dollars....and we can now get a far, far more advanced Yggy for half of that. I don't even have a Yggy, but when I first heard the OG Modi Multibit I knew instantly I was on the right track.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #143,083 of 151,899
Full release, Apple Music.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 01.51.59.png

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #143,084 of 151,899
Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 01.59.29.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back