Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 9, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #142,426 of 153,538
Excellent news. How is the bass? I wonder, due to the low damping factor.
The bass is tight and extended. Very controlled over what I thought was pretty well managed bass previously. I do have a subwoofer and found that I needed to dial the gain down on the sub as the main speakers were contributing more on the bottom-end. I even switched off the subwoofer for a session to hear the difference and found that other than the lowest registers (35Hz and below) the speakers were contributing more solid, extended and controlled bass than I'd heard previously. Not getting rid of the sub as it does add a good solid foundation when needed ('Cousin John' by Marcus Miller, 'Flight of the Cosmic Hippo' by Bela Fleck, 'Thanks to You' by Boz Scaggs, etc.). (Sub x-over is set at approx. 38Hz, btw.)

Over-all there's nothing not to like here. :wink:

** I suspect Aegir 2 will earn an A rating on TAS like its predecessor.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #142,428 of 153,538
The bass is tight and extended. Very controlled over what I thought was pretty will managed bass previously. I do have a subwoofer and found that I needed to dial the gain down on the sub as the main speakers were contributing more on the bottom-end. I even switched off the subwoofer for a session to hear the difference and found that other than the lowest registers (35Hz and below) the speakers were contributing more solid, extended and controlled bass than I'd heard previously. Not getting rid of the sub as it does add a good solid foundation when needed ('Cousin John' by Marcus Miller, 'Flight of the Cosmic Hippo' by Bela Fleck, 'Thanks to You' by Boz Scaggs, etc.). (Sub x-over is set at approx. 38Hz btw.)

Another great bass test track from that Boz Scaggs disc is 'Desire'

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #142,429 of 153,538
Thank goodness for standards! Does anyone know where I can buy one of these?

1710002152317.png

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #142,430 of 153,538
Another great bass test track from that Boz Scaggs disc is 'Desire'
I generally just use this guy when setting up subwoofers. :ksc75smile:

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #142,432 of 153,538
Mar 9, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #142,433 of 153,538
The bass is tight and extended. Very controlled over what I thought was pretty will managed bass previously. I do have a subwoofer and found that I needed to dial the gain down on the sub as the main speakers were contributing more on the bottom-end. I even switched off the subwoofer for a session to hear the difference and found that other than the lowest registers (35Hz and below) the speakers were contributing more solid, extended and controlled bass than I'd heard previously. Not getting rid of the sub as it does add a good solid foundation when needed ('Cousin John' by Marcus Miller, 'Flight of the Cosmic Hippo' by Bela Fleck, 'Thanks to You' by Boz Scaggs, etc.). (Sub x-over is set at approx. 38Hz, btw.)

Psst! You’re OFF for the next whole week! Enjoy…

Mar 9, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #142,435 of 153,538
My wine fridge chills to 55 degrees which is optimal temp, IMHO.

** I prefer my Cheerwine a bit colder. :D
Ahhhh... yes, optimum cellaring temperatures for red wines are 55-58 F (~13-14 C) but drinking them that cold will mute a majority of the flavors... drink at room temp. Pull them an hour before you drink them, uncork and let them sit quietly on the counter...

...and then we can talk (later) about the Decanting Wars.

Mar 9, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #142,436 of 153,538
An aside...

All this concern about Aegir running hot caused me to pull out my laser thermometer and give the ole Aegir 2 a scan at one of the heatsinks. Aegir 2 was right at 104F as Jason specified. What I found funny is that Freya+ in tube mode ran 109.4F at left top of the chassis away from the tubes. No one really expresses any concern about that, but I guess that's a given with tubes! :D

Mar 9, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #142,437 of 153,538
Things that sounded really great on the big system (a couple of nights ago):

IMG_0225.PNG
IMG_0226.PNG

IMG_0228.PNG
IMG_0230.PNG

IMG_0231.PNG
...more to come soonest. @Ripper2860 would love to hear your thoughts upon hearing "My Bass" on the Aegir 2!

/ds

Mar 9, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #142,438 of 153,538
Things that sounded really great on the big system (a couple of nights ago):

...more to come soonest. @Ripper2860 would love to hear your thoughts upon hearing "My Bass" on the Aegir 2!

/ds

Seriously...

I'd be hard pressed to find any system where SRV, Supertramp, and Manu Katche wouldn't sound good. Great and well recorded music transcends crappy gear delivering a level of enjoyment -- although lower than when played on a Schiity system! :D

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #142,439 of 153,538
It's quiet 'round here on a Friday night. But it sure ain't quiet in my ears or on my palate!🤘🏻

IMG_6734.jpeg
Are you using the Magni to warm up the whiskey?! Faster than the hands, slower than the fireplace...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back