Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 8, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #142,351 of 149,573
You don't duct tape your cardboard creations together?
Only rank amateurs use duct tape on cardboard (I can neither confirm or deny I’m referring to @Ripper2860 ). I use only 3M “noiseless” clear tape that makes no sound when pulling from the roll which helps maintain my acute and finely tuned audio hearing. :smile:

Mar 8, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #142,355 of 149,573
Well, to be fair, they don't have proper HVAC yet in the UK 😁😁 They serve the beer at "room temperature" which is actually pretty cold.

Old joke: the Brits have had central heating since the Romans invaded, and they still haven't figured out how to make it work...

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #142,356 of 149,573
That would be Harmony, right?
Ingwaz!! There you go, @Jason Stoddard . Ingwaz for the new Unison Eitr...

Eitr Ingwaz

image_2024-03-08_140225829.png

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #142,357 of 149,573
Better half has moose on the bucket list. Is this the place to go?
It was summer so the bulls weren’t randy but we did keep our distance. Cape Breton, NB, northern Maine and the Gaspe peninsula had plenty. Don’t remember seeing any in New Brunswick. Reminds of the Dad joke; why don’t you see moose hiding in trees? Because they’re so good at it. No shame.

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #142,358 of 149,573
Got my Aegir 2 today!

And I tried it out in my basement system, which normally looks like this:

Raspberry Pi running Ropieee -> Schiit Eitr -> Adcom GDA-600 -> Schiit Lokius -> Schiit Freya N -> Yamaha B2 -> Yamaha NS-1000M

All the vintage components in that chain were substantially rebuilt be me.

So, the Aegir replaced the B2 for a test session. And here's my impression:

I'll say I was quite impressed by the sound quality coming from the Aegir. The midrange is definitely up there with the best I've heard. Treble is great. Bass is also good, but deteriorates quickly as the Aegir approaches its maximum, which leads to my main point: I was a bit surprised how easy it is to throw the Aegir into protection. The NS-1000Ms are 90dB sensitive. Normally when I work out in my basement the VU meters on the B2 show 10W average, but the bass peaks will sometimes make them bounce up to 30W or even 50W. With similar loudness, the Aegir was never far away from protection mode. With the tubes engaged on the Freya N and the volume control around 2:00, the Aegir would go into protection every time.

So, for me, unfortunately a single Aegir isn't suitable for either my basement system or my family room system (same setup as above, except with a Yggdrasil+ and a Loki Max). The Aegir will replace a G-Horn and do its duty in my office system, which is where it was intended to go.

However, I am impressed enough with the Aegir 2 that now I'm wondering how good they would sound as mono blocks! 100W would do it. Maybe one day....
hi what do you mean it goes in to a protection mode? what is the sensitivity of your speakers? plz

Mar 8, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #142,360 of 149,573
It was summer so the bulls weren’t randy but we did keep our distance. Cape Breton, NB, northern Maine and the Gaspe peninsula had plenty. Don’t remember seeing any in New Brunswick. Reminds of the Dad joke; why don’t you see moose hiding in trees? Because they’re so good at it. No shame.
Worse is when the females are protecting their calves. Outright deadly, they can be.

Which is exactly the scenario I walked into in a thick lodgepole grove in the Wind River Range in Wyoming after setting up camp while backpacking a long time ago. Late spring, came around a turn in the trail and suddenly less than twenty feet in front of me was a female moose taller than I was staring hard at me. That was a legit tense situation.

Backed away very slowly and calmly.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #142,362 of 149,573
Not a bourbon (though rumored to have it blended in), but today's get:

20240308_135434.jpg
Shenk's is really good. I prefer Michter's other special release, Bomberger's, slightly more - it's a little bit fruitier versus Shenk's dryer, more lean palate - but both are wonderful and always a treat. :)

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #142,365 of 149,573
And not without good reason.

Not even AMD can be permitted to create an open source HDMI driver. The Schiit way avoids proprietary 'standards' - it's the better way.
These technical "forums" are cash producing entities that essentially license all of their standards to others for profit. Change the standard [even a few words], buy a new license. That is why Schiit and many others shy away from these "standards".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back