Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #142,171 of 150,588
I don't even have to burn it in... going straight into it. :gs1000smile:
It'll need 3-4 hours of warm up at least before it starts to sound right.

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #142,172 of 150,588
This is the corrector version of what I tried to say. Blame Guinness (bought several cases for the upcoming holiday but have dipped into it...)
You wouldn't be the first, or even the hundred-thousand-and-first to blame the Guinness. :wink:

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #142,173 of 150,588
With pineapple on pizza, poutine, Rush, Joni Mitchell, and Neil Young close behind (and let's not forget baseball)! Sincere apologies for Nickelback, William Shatner, and Bieber.
Don't forget basketball

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #142,174 of 150,588
With pineapple on pizza, poutine, Rush, Joni Mitchell, and Neil Young close behind (and let's not forget baseball)! Sincere apologies for Nickelback, William Shatner, and Bieber.
And the best powder skiing in the Western Hemisphere (see my avatar pic from a remote location in BC).

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #142,175 of 150,588
The PS5 allows USB audio out, but its UAC1 instead of UAC2. So it doesnt work with any of my Schiit DACS.
The PS5 also runs the audio signal through the HDMI output, so if I hook the console up to my tv, I can use the toslink output of my tv.
The problem is, what if I want to hook the PS5 up to a computer monitor... My monitor has two HDMI inputs, and a headphone jack for output.. The SQ from the hp jack is terrible.
I doubt that Schiit will get into the HDMI business any time soon, but Jason has mentioned before the type of device that I would also suggest for this. I've used it with a PS5 in a PC monitor & capture setup before, as well as with a PS4 and a Switch. What you want is an HDMI audio extractor (aka HDMI de-embedder), which has an HDMI input and HDMI output, plus a SPDIF output with only the audio taken from the HDMI signal, which you can then send along to a DAC. You will probably run into some odd problems for things that use HDCP (HDMI's copy restriction scheme), but my experience was that most games worked fine and the extractor would pass audio without a problem.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #142,176 of 150,588
Besides, we all know Canada's most important contribution to civilization is ice hockey, eh. :hockey: :smile_cat:
Hoi! 😳... what about Canadian Club, Canada Dry? 🤣

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #142,177 of 150,588
I doubt that Schiit will get into the HDMI business any time soon, but Jason has mentioned before the type of device that I would also suggest for this. I've used it with a PS5 in a PC monitor & capture setup before, as well as with a PS4 and a Switch. What you want is an HDMI audio extractor (aka HDMI de-embedder), which has an HDMI input and HDMI output, plus a SPDIF output with only the audio taken from the HDMI signal, which you can then send along to a DAC. You will probably run into some odd problems for things that use HDCP (HDMI's copy restriction scheme), but my experience was that most games worked fine and the extractor would pass audio without a problem.

Yeah I looked into those...HDMI extractors that DONT do analogue out, allow for 4k 120 hz passthrough/output, and offer coaxial are hard to come by for prices I'd pay, for non-Schiit products.

I don't need HDMI audio extraction from a Schiit DDC, or a Schiit DDC at all..

But it sure would be nice. 😁

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #142,178 of 150,588
Alice? Alice? Who the ph is Alice? Oh, that’s who. Really enjoying her on Qobuz.
I'd like to give this 10 thumbs-up. I came to this song ("who the ph is Alice") via a Danish version by Bamses Venner and I think it's absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the reference. Now I need to find out more the Alice (Coltrane) everyone else is talking about.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #142,179 of 150,588
It'll need 3-4 hours of warm up at least before it starts to sound right.
noted. There-after it will remain forever warm like the Olympic Torch lol.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #142,180 of 150,588
Hoi! 😳... what about Canadian Club, Canada Dry? 🤣
I have relatives in Canada and if my memory from when I was 13 and visiting are accurate: milk comes in a bag, they say Adult and Super Mario weird, and their money is cooler. And if my memory from being 18 in college and in driving distance to Windsor where you could drink and gamble at that age are accurate: I have no recollection.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #142,181 of 150,588
Yeah I looked into those...HDMI extractors that DONT do analogue out, allow for 4k 120 hz passthrough/output, and offer coaxial are hard to come by for prices I'd pay, for non-Schiit products.

I don't need HDMI audio extraction from a Schiit DDC, or a Schiit DDC at all..

But it sure would be nice. 😁
take muh money!~

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #142,182 of 150,588
Oh, yeah. That's asking a lot more than the 1080p 60 Hz passthrough I was using. I've noticed that 4k DP KVM switches have come down from "about an Urd" to "about a Lyr+" in the past few years, so hopefully the situation will improve for HDMI stuff too.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #142,183 of 150,588
Yeah going 4k ruined all my passthru devices to me.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #142,184 of 150,588
I have relatives in Canada and if my memory from when I was 13 and visiting are accurate: milk comes in a bag, they say Adult and Super Mario weird, and their money is cooler. And if my memory from being 18 in college and in driving distance to Windsor where you could drink and gamble at that age are accurate: I have no recollection.
.... don't forget the many venues of the 'Windsor Ballet' .... 😏 💵 💵 ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back