Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 5, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #142,066 of 150,900
All good. Still stress-free in the new job, the 1950-something NOS ECC88 Tung-Sols in the Freya N came alive last week and the sound has really opened up. Currently chilling to some Coltrane and the Appendices to “The Lord of the Rings” with intermittent lap-visits from our youngest Border Collie.

Hope all is going well with you as well.
Raise you hand if you're the kind of jazz enthusiast who requires clarification between John and Alice when someone says Coltrane.

:raised_hand:

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #142,067 of 150,900
Switching to Jazz. One more for you fine folks to consider, then calling it night...

... probably. :D

1709696248447.png

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #142,068 of 150,900
A mellow after-dinner jazz trio to relax from an intense workday:

RoonShareImage-638452667419353260.png

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #142,069 of 150,900
LOL! Or go with this configuration that acts as a warning beacon to low flying planes. :smile:

Jason will have to use a heavier trafo to keep the center of gravity low enough.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #142,070 of 150,900
So, other than tube envy, how is everybody's day going? I trust that everyone's happy and healthy?

Having a good day. One annoyance few days back. The clip of my Diplomat Aero broke off.

Why am I still happy? Well, I emailed Diplomat customer service to ask for the agency in the UAE. There isn't any, they replied. But.....they will send me a new cap free of charge, so I don't even have to send the broken cap to them. Service of the highest level.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #142,072 of 150,900
I hadn't stopped by here in a long time because I thought I had everything I needed for my stereo setup. But I dropped in for a little reminiscence, and I read about Syn, and knew I needed it bad. I really like Syn.

But I need to send it back and swap it out for a new one, and I realized how spoiled I was living in Los Angeles when everything was made in Valencia and things shipped to me in a day. I'm sure it's going to take 2 extra days of shipping to get my replacement from Texas. It's amazing that I can cope with such adversity.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #142,073 of 150,900
Mar 6, 2024 at 1:23 AM Post #142,075 of 150,900
Great.. Thanks a lot..
Now I'm just looking for a T-shirt that says:
"If you don't get Tyrs, you will get Tears."..

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #142,076 of 150,900
Got my Aegir 2 today!

And I tried it out in my basement system, which normally looks like this:

Raspberry Pi running Ropieee -> Schiit Eitr -> Adcom GDA-600 -> Schiit Lokius -> Schiit Freya N -> Yamaha B2 -> Yamaha NS-1000M

All the vintage components in that chain were substantially rebuilt be me.

So, the Aegir replaced the B2 for a test session. And here's my impression:

I'll say I was quite impressed by the sound quality coming from the Aegir. The midrange is definitely up there with the best I've heard. Treble is great. Bass is also good, but deteriorates quickly as the Aegir approaches its maximum, which leads to my main point: I was a bit surprised how easy it is to throw the Aegir into protection. The NS-1000Ms are 90dB sensitive. Normally when I work out in my basement the VU meters on the B2 show 10W average, but the bass peaks will sometimes make them bounce up to 30W or even 50W. With similar loudness, the Aegir was never far away from protection mode. With the tubes engaged on the Freya N and the volume control around 2:00, the Aegir would go into protection every time.

So, for me, unfortunately a single Aegir isn't suitable for either my basement system or my family room system (same setup as above, except with a Yggdrasil+ and a Loki Max). The Aegir will replace a G-Horn and do its duty in my office system, which is where it was intended to go.

However, I am impressed enough with the Aegir 2 that now I'm wondering how good they would sound as mono blocks! 100W would do it. Maybe one day....
Could you try the Freya in the Passive mode and see if it gets better or worse?

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #142,077 of 150,900
Having a good day. One annoyance few days back. The clip of my Diplomat Aero broke off.

Why am I still happy? Well, I emailed Diplomat customer service to ask for the agency in the UAE. There isn't any, they replied. But.....they will send me a new cap free of charge, so I don't even have to send the broken cap to them. Service of the highest level.
I was trying to figure out what a Diplomat Aero was and I thought of this
IMG_3269.jpeg

But then google helped figure out it was a fountain pen.

E2C19EB5-E3AA-41F9-BC69-53D5E86DDE2B.gif

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #142,078 of 150,900
Raise you hand if you're the kind of jazz enthusiast who requires clarification between John and Alice when someone says Coltrane.

:raised_hand:

Thanks! Alice has been added to my list of artists to listen to.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #142,079 of 150,900
Ooh, Canada is a complete unknown to me. I have not ever heard that it's available up there.

Many years ago when I was living in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia and working for a large multinational company, I was speaking with someone in the Finance department in New York City and she was all "Canada? It must be crazy cold up there!" (it wasn't). I made an offhand crack about a polar bear alert and she believed me and barraged me with questions about polar bears....

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #142,080 of 150,900
Many years ago when I was living in the Canadian province of Nova Scotia and working for a large multinational company, I was speaking with someone in the Finance department in New York City and she was all "Canada? It must be crazy cold up there!" (it wasn't). I made an offhand crack about a polar bear alert and she believed me and barraged me with questions about polar bears....

Besides, we all know Canada's most important contribution to civilization is ice hockey, eh. :hockey: :smile_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back