Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 6, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #142,096 of 151,179
To keep with the cat theme.... I feel like a little kitty stuck up in a tree, and hoping a nice fireman can come rescue me. ( @Jason Stoddard & Co )

I ordered a Play Station 5 the other day, and I am trying to figure out the best way to hook some Schiit up to it...

Modern gaming consoles suck, in that they have no Optical or Coaxial output.

The PS5 allows USB audio out, but its UAC1 instead of UAC2. So it doesnt work with any of my Schiit DACS.

The PS5 also runs the audio signal through the HDMI output, so if I hook the console up to my tv, I can use the toslink output of my tv.

The problem is, what if I want to hook the PS5 up to a computer monitor... My monitor has two HDMI inputs, and a headphone jack for output.. The SQ from the hp jack is terrible.

Jason, I would beg you come to rescue us and make/sell a digital converter. Something that has like 3 digital inputs (HDMI, Optical, USB UAC1) and allows output via 3 to 4 outputs... HDMI, Unison USB, Coaxial/SPDIF, Optical...

I have been looking around and the choices seem to all be half baked, poorly designed, cheap...or Expensive and limited in what they do...

I bet if you took a drive around the neighborhood, you would see alot of cats stuck in the same kind of trees, waiting for Schiit to rescue us...

I bet Schiit could design/sell something that offers great functionality & design at a compelling price point...

Maybe you could include a switch on the back or underside that lets the user switch the USB input between UAC1 and UAC2.
Buy a used Fiio E10K on ebay and use it as usb to spdif converter, it's UAC1 so should work fine

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #142,098 of 151,179
IMG_7459.jpegIMG_7461.jpeg

A better representation of what I am building, The horse stoppers will have their own slots in the top board.

Mar 6, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #142,100 of 151,179
Got my Aegir 2 today!

And I tried it out in my basement system, which normally looks like this:

Raspberry Pi running Ropieee -> Schiit Eitr -> Adcom GDA-600 -> Schiit Lokius -> Schiit Freya N -> Yamaha B2 -> Yamaha NS-1000M

All the vintage components in that chain were substantially rebuilt be me.

So, the Aegir replaced the B2 for a test session. And here's my impression:

I'll say I was quite impressed by the sound quality coming from the Aegir. The midrange is definitely up there with the best I've heard. Treble is great. Bass is also good, but deteriorates quickly as the Aegir approaches its maximum, which leads to my main point: I was a bit surprised how easy it is to throw the Aegir into protection. The NS-1000Ms are 90dB sensitive. Normally when I work out in my basement the VU meters on the B2 show 10W average, but the bass peaks will sometimes make them bounce up to 30W or even 50W. With similar loudness, the Aegir was never far away from protection mode. With the tubes engaged on the Freya N and the volume control around 2:00, the Aegir would go into protection every time.

So, for me, unfortunately a single Aegir isn't suitable for either my basement system or my family room system (same setup as above, except with a Yggdrasil+ and a Loki Max). The Aegir will replace a G-Horn and do its duty in my office system, which is where it was intended to go.

However, I am impressed enough with the Aegir 2 that now I'm wondering how good they would sound as mono blocks! 100W would do it. Maybe one day....
Nice! At what average db are you listening?

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #142,103 of 151,179
The D8000 Pros are insanely good cans....with the Vali 2+ and many tubes, WE396A (with adapter) its about as good as it gets here....
Cant wait to review a Vali 3 !!
Alex
I don’t know if I need a Vali 3. My Vali 2++ is insanely good with the RCA Command 5670 tube. It’s also stellar with the GE 5-star Red 5670.

Mar 6, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #142,104 of 151,179
Nice! At what average db are you listening?
😤... pfft! ... I'll have you know that I don't listen with average dBs! I only go with the very best dBs! 🤪🤣

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #142,106 of 151,179
This is a historical photo... both bottles have subsequently been opened and both bottles contain some pretty d*mned excellent whiskey! Thanks @sixergixer !

IMG_1194.jpeg
Love to see 'em! Love to know they were lovingly drank even more. Keep buying them and we'll keep bottling them! 🤘🏻

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #142,107 of 151,179
To keep with the cat theme.... I feel like a little kitty stuck up in a tree, and hoping a nice fireman can come rescue me. ( @Jason Stoddard & Co )

I ordered a Play Station 5 the other day, and I am trying to figure out the best way to hook some Schiit up to it...

The PS5 allows USB audio out, but its UAC1 instead of UAC2. So it doesnt work with any of my Schiit DACS.

The PS5 also runs the audio signal through the HDMI output, so if I hook the console up to my tv, I can use the toslink output of my tv.

The problem is, what if I want to hook the PS5 up to a computer monitor... My monitor has two HDMI inputs, and a headphone jack for output.. The SQ from the hp jack is terrible.

Jason, I would beg you come to rescue us and make/sell a digital converter. Something that has like 3 digital inputs (HDMI, Optical, USB UAC1) and allows output via 3 to 4 outputs... HDMI, Unison USB, Coaxial/SPDIF, Optical...

I have been looking around and the choices seem to all be half baked, poorly designed, cheap...or Expensive and limited in what they do...

I bet if you took a drive around the neighborhood, you would see alot of cats stuck in the same kind of trees, waiting for Schiit to rescue us...

I bet Schiit could design/sell something that offers great functionality & design at a compelling price point...

Maybe you could include a switch on the back or underside that lets the user switch the USB input between UAC1 and UAC2.
+1 to this. The PS5's audio out options are shortsighted to an almost criminal degree. Sony used to give a damn about audio in their previous consoles but that went away completely with the latest iteration, despite it having built in Spotify and Apple Music apps. Stupid thing can't even play back a CD! The bean counters did this, I am sure. 👎🏻

Schiit, I am certain, would do an outstanding standalone DDC, and I would buy one.

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #142,108 of 151,179
The D8000 Pros are insanely good cans....with the Vali 2+ and many tubes, WE396A (with adapter) its about as good as it gets here....
Cant wait to review a Vali 3 !!
Alex
I have Final E5000 IEMs which I adore. Based on various reviews and descriptions, and based on what I know of my own experience-limited preference for sound quality, the D8000 and/or the D8000 Pro are the over-ears I most want to try out someday. They're out of my price range atm but I want to hear them like I want an hour in a 993 911 C4S on a race track. BAAAAAAD!!!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #142,109 of 151,179

Try fulla or Hel which have uac1/uac2 autoswitching & cm6635 c-media usb receiver

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back