Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 29, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #141,436 of 153,935
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 14.56.07.png

Feb 29, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #141,437 of 153,935
Knock out the manuals in stone blocks and put in Joshua Tree national park. Then we’ll travel there, take snapshots and selfies. Eventually it will become the Schiit Festival!
I think that if we promoted a SchiitFest we'd attract entirely the wrong crowd.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #141,439 of 153,935
Correct. I had a service prior to it (the name eludes me) that allowed multiple systems, but the interface and frequent intractable errors pushed me over the edge. Unreasonable price hikes cemented it.
Thanks for that. I am a BB fan (a friend was the marketing director for a while) and I was backing the NAS(x2) up directly. When it got to $80 per month, I thought tha was OTT. So now I use the "old" HDD and Chronosync, but I would like a cost effective offsite solution. However with a notebook and a desktop apiece that personal backup also adds up quickly.

Our luggage was stolen forma car break in recently in San Francisco and both our laptops stolen. Jody was on the way to a workshop and all her materials were on her (almost new!) laptop. iCloud came to the rescue and 4 hours after reporting to the police, she had a new laptop, fully restored and all he data operational at the event.

It was a good real-life test of the backup and restore systems that - IME - often fail at the recovery step.

Cheers

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #141,440 of 153,935
That appears to be per machine?
The thought just struck me: The service is for direct-attached drives, either internal or external - no network shares. The external 20Tb drive on the Mac that I have BackBlaze set up on can be made shareable on the network, the other Macs/PC's can have script/app set up to back up important files to that external drive on a regular schedule, then everything gets backed up to BackBlaze. Why didn't I think of that ages ago? There's a small evening project for after work today!

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #141,441 of 153,935
@Jason Stoddard Congrats on the release of Aegir 2. Nice humongous xfmr...

Aegir 2 product page has wrong value for input sensitivity of 14.3/12 (ref 25W rating). shouldn't it be 15.5/12 for 30 Wpc / 8 ohm rating ? or is the gain different than OG Aegir ?

(Added) @Ohno Schiitizen pwr calc: P = E * E / R, so E = sqrt (P * R) = sqrt (30 * 8) = sqrt (240) ~ 15.5V Input sensitivity is voltage needed to reach rated output.

Thank you !! :thumbsup:

So the Speaker (should) take up to 15.5V if it is 30Wpc? now I understand your question to Jason.

Then Aegir 1 (20Wpc at 8 ohms) should be 12,65V not 14.3V. (RMS)

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #141,443 of 153,935
I am racking my brain trying to figure out how to justify an Aegir 2 for my office.
I am a professional at this and I can assist:

“It only costs me the difference of what I buy it for and what I sell it for. I’m just tying up the money for a little while.”

“Money I’ll never see again was spent on a cruise… this is a tangible asset.”

When I’m “old” am I gonna say… “Oh man, things could have been a lot easier for us if only I didn’t spend the money on that Aegir 2.”

“I am helping the economy”.

“I work hard, I do the right thing, and I want it.”

Other examples can be provided upon request.

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #141,444 of 153,935
I am a professional at this and I can assist:

“It only costs me the difference of what I buy it for and what I sell it for. I’m just tying up the money for a little while.”

“Money I’ll never see again was spent on a cruise… this is a tangible asset.”

When I’m “old” am I gonna say… “Oh man, things could have been a lot easier for us if only I didn’t spend the money on that Aegir 2.”

“I am helping the economy”.

“I work hard, I do the right thing, and I want it.”

Other examples can be provided upon request.
" Joy 100^100 "

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #141,445 of 153,935
I haven't really started thinking about Ragnarok 3 yet, but some initial thoughts:

Chokes--no
Continuity--maybe
Standby--absolutely
Switchable Halo?--no good way to do Halo on a balanced differential topology, SE not quite enough for many headphones; Rag 3 will stay Nexus
Feedback Yes/No--maybe no overall feedback switch
Push Pull vs Single Ended--doesn't apply, not Class A.
Dac and phono cards vs no cards--probably only done one way with multiple digital inputs and phono input standard

But...who knows? This is wayyyyyyyyyyy far out.
That actually sounds perfect. All I feel like I'm missing with the Ragnarok 2 is optical and coax, a standby button, and a dedicated preamp out on/off button. Just small quality of life things. Definitely nothing that would make it cost a bazillion dollars.

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #141,446 of 153,935
This I think is a serious problem that Schiit would have to solve. With so many different products sharing the same name (is it a DSD thing or an EQ thing or a + or a ++ ??) someone getting the item down the line runs a real danger of finding the wrong manual.
Of course, you need the front end to make it happen, but...

We've talked a lot about this in my company several years ago. The thought was to put a QR code on each laser we ship. When that is scanned, it takes the user to our customer service site and brings up the specs for their laser and the as-shipped data. The manual specific to that variant would be available for download as well. In the past 10 years we've talked about it, it hasn't gone anywhere, but it's a cool idea.

Being the packrat/hoarder that I am, I have every box/sticker/bag/twisty tie/manual that Schiit has sent me. I typically download the manual before buying to look it over, buy, and look it over a few more times while Schiit is building/shipping my stuff. Once I get my toys, I look at the hardcopy to see what cable goes where, which LED needs to be lit and how the switches need to be set. Once done, it goes back in the box and the box gets put in the pile. If I need to refer to something again, I re-download the manual.

I do agree that with a fairly comprehensive list of discontinued or older revision products, Schiit should, IMHO, have those versions available on their website. It would be amazing to be able to search by model and serial number to pull up exactly what you bought AND the full spec list at that time. Not a trivial task to set up, but once accomplished, it would be a huge plus for Customer Service!

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #141,447 of 153,935
Wouldn't it be easier to just include the link as opposed to a QR code if you're already on the site? Having to dig up my cell phone to scan a QR code from my computer monitor in order to DL something from that site onto my phone when I'm already there with my computer and could easily click on a link, seems a tad inconvenient. Unless one intends to keep the manual on the phone for EZ access in a room where they have no computer or choose not to print the manual. I guess that would be a good reason, but include a link as well as QR code, please.
Getting rid of the physical manual means (IMO) lower cost, lower upkeep, less labor etc....
Adding a QR code for those that like them is ok, but it adds someone that has to make them, generate them, keep up with them etc..

Guides are on the website already.
A link to the guide on the FAQ page etc would be easy to do, especially if done when Jason writes up his diatribe.
Sending an attachment when sending a customer invoice or notice seems simple as well.

So yeah your right adding a QR code does require some "labor and cost"...

Adding an manual as an attachment and a link on the FAQ etc...would be simple IMO.

Morning!
Going to read all my manuals...if I can find them!!
LOL!
Alex

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #141,448 of 153,935
Perhaps Schiit can do away with the whole manual debate by offering an optional (additional cost) 'White Glove Installation Service' where Jason (and/or Mike) would travel to one's home or office and personally install their Schiit and review the features and functions. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #141,449 of 153,935
So um, when is the Schiit estat amp coming?

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #141,450 of 153,935
If I've correctly interpreted Jason's prior comments, that would be when Hades reports a sustained temperature below 0c for long enough to freeze all water. :thinking:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back