Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 29, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #141,451 of 155,191
Perhaps Schiit can do away with the whole manual debate by offering an optional (additional cost) 'White Glove Installation Service' where Jason (and/or Mike) would travel to one's home or office and personally install their Schiit and review the features and functions. :wink:

I am listening Price, Rachael. :L3000:

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #141,452 of 155,191
Maybe this is just a matter of perception, but Jason asked for people's opinions. Now what some people want is not what I want, but such is the nature of opinions. The end result may be that Schiit changes nothing, but I think it's pretty cool that the input is requested and very probably considered.
I was checking the "likes" on the early replies, and Jason was there - no doubt keeping score of responses.
I suspect he will publish a tally at some point (maybe he already did, as I'm behind, as usual). :)

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #141,454 of 155,191
Thanks for that. I am a BB fan (a friend was the marketing director for a while) and I was backing the NAS(x2) up directly. When it got to $80 per month, I thought tha was OTT. So now I use the "old" HDD and Chronosync, but I would like a cost effective offsite solution. However with a notebook and a desktop apiece that personal backup also adds up quickly.

Our luggage was stolen forma car break in recently in San Francisco and both our laptops stolen. Jody was on the way to a workshop and all her materials were on her (almost new!) laptop. iCloud came to the rescue and 4 hours after reporting to the police, she had a new laptop, fully restored and all he data operational at the event.

It was a good real-life test of the backup and restore systems that - IME - often fail at the recovery step.

Cheers

Sorry to hear about the the theft. That sort of thing angers me to no end. I'm glad iCloud was able to get her back up and running again quickly!

Between iCloud, Time Machine, the NAS and 20Tb External drive, and BackBlaze, my data has enough redundancy. Add several layers of protection and I think I'm secure-ish.

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #141,455 of 155,191
If I've interpreted Jason's prior comments, that would be when Hades reports a sustained temperature below 0c for long enough to all freeze water. :thinking:

dumb-and-dumber-lloyd.gif

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #141,456 of 155,191
Feb 29, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #141,457 of 155,191
I was checking the "likes" on the early replies, and Jason was there - no doubt keeping score of responses.
I suspect he will publish a tally at some point (maybe he already did, as I'm behind, as usual). :)
BEWARE: I heard Chinese state-sponsored hackers may try to breach HF and change the outcome of the manuals poll. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #141,458 of 155,191
Thank you for the rec, didn't know about it, and it reminded me that I should listen to more Mark Turner. He used to come by the Bay Area relatively often, but I've not heard him live in a long time. His playing leaves aside sax theatrics for depth, gentleness, subtlety. Like the Brian Blade of sax.
Brian is one of my favorite drummers. The analogy will certainly prompt me to search out Mr. Turner's music. Thanks (again) for the jazz reco. :)

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #141,459 of 155,191
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-9405#post-17992236

Maybe this is just a matter of perception, but Jason asked for people's opinions. Now what some people want is not what I want, but such is the nature of opinions. The end result may be that Schiit changes nothing, but I think it's pretty cool that the input is requested and very probably considered.
Have to agree. That's how I read and you read and some others read but not everyone. LOL. :) I responded with my 2¢ because Jason asked, I even read something about Tyler being assigned to read comments. Poor Tyler!

Snarking the Snarkers by the Super Snarker....Sounds like a John Prine song :)

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #141,460 of 155,191
🍦"Ice cream I scream, you scream, we all scream for what we dream ..." 🤷🏻‍♂️

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #141,461 of 155,191
Snarking the Snarkers by the Super Snarker....Sounds like a John Prine song :)
Well if anybody could make a rhyme out of that, it would have been John Prine. :)

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #141,462 of 155,191
To follow up on the manuals opinions: yeah, we hear you. No decisions at the moment. Don't be surprised if we test a couple of different approaches.

However, I can say that anything involving video, longer form manuals, reformatting for different sizes (print or screen), options to select a manual at checkout, or anything else that increases the workload or complexity is automatically out. The goal here is to have more accurate, more maintainable manuals that are more closely coupled to the product, not to add a new department to the company.

For those who are curious, this is how I use manuals:

1. Get new product in box.
2. Open box.
3. Take out product.
4. Throw the rest away without looking at any of it--warranty cards, manuals, safety screeds, free sweepstakes, whatever. Usually stickers too, unless they are interesting. And yes, this includes the box, unless it's a $13-33k Audio Precision machine that I know will need to go back for recalibration from time to time.
5. Look up anything I need to look up online.

#5 used to be limited to surround processors and Jura superautomatic coffee machines (cleaning, argh), and only after initial setup. A new jobsite table saw I bought made me look something up before I used it, because it had a whole bunch of integrated widgets and safety stuff I'd never seen before.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 29, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #141,463 of 155,191
I think my biggest takeaway after the heaps and heaps (and even more heaps) of discussion around manuals is the apparent lack of a centralized collection of manuals for legacy gear. This is surprising as Schiit takes such pains to repair or upgrade all of their products back to the earliest models. Whatever is decided re: the current method of offering manuals, it seems creating this database would certainly be worth a couple of someone's shifts at Schiit HQ.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #141,465 of 155,191
I think my biggest takeaway after the heaps and heaps (and even more heaps) of discussion around manuals is the apparent lack of a centralized collection of manuals for legacy gear. This is surprising as Schiit takes such pains to repair or upgrade all of their products back to the earliest models. Whatever is decided re: the current method of offering manuals, it seems cresting this database would certainly be worth a couple of someone's shifts at Schiit HQ.
That basic capability has been done for a while, now we need to populate it and integrate it. It may not be 100% to start.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back