Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #141,406 of 152,615
That appears to be per machine?

Correct. I had a service prior to it (the name eludes me) that allowed multiple systems, but the interface and frequent intractable errors pushed me over the edge. Unreasonable price hikes cemented it.

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #141,407 of 152,615
An option at checkout is probably out of the question due to the required logistics/extra faff
As a web developer with a cursory understanding of ERP, I question this assertion 🤔 We do some pretty complex things with web and other software, but something like this, at least from the web application side would rank pretty low on the scale.

The logic is already there to adjust the estimate based on other options.

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #141,408 of 152,615
This survey about mauals is great. I can now confidently guess everyone's age in this forum, haha.

The younger people don't care about manuals because they know everything is available online forever.

The older younger people that learned that what they thought would be online forever isn't and learned to save both the manual from the box and their own PDF copy.

The middle age people still prefer a paper manual, but aren't scared to get online and find it if necessary.

And the older crowd, who prefer their manuals printed on 3-4 trees worth of paper and the amp wrapped in extra forever chemicals.

ftfy.

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #141,409 of 152,615
Seems like we have beat the manual thing completely into the ground.

Time to get back to cats or something. Here are some tracks that I followed for a couple miles one rainy afternoon near my house. That is about the size of your fist if you are wondering.
Here kitty, kitty.jpg

Feb 28, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #141,410 of 152,615
As a web developer with a cursory understanding of ERP, I question this assertion 🤔 We do some pretty complex things with web and other software, but something like this, at least from the web application side would rank pretty low on the scale.

The logic is already there to adjust the estimate based on other options.
My point wasn't the software but the extra thing(s) humans have to do when picking and packing an order. (I actually suggested adding the digital manual to the checkout for earlier)

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #141,411 of 152,615
Feb 28, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #141,412 of 152,615
My point wasn't the software but the extra thing(s) humans have to do when picking and packing an order. (I actually suggested adding the digital manual to the checkout for earlier)
Would it be any harder than packing the right plug though?

Another option which I don't think would be too much more difficult to implement would be to send the manual separately if added to the order, so as not to delay the shipping of the unit.

Just spitballin' here 🙂

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #141,413 of 152,615
Also include a OR code link on the website for each product.
Wouldn't it be easier to just include the link as opposed to a QR code if you're already on the site? Having to dig up my cell phone to scan a QR code from my computer monitor in order to DL something from that site onto my phone when I'm already there with my computer and could easily click on a link, seems a tad inconvenient. Unless one intends to keep the manual on the phone for EZ access in a room where they have no computer or choose not to print the manual. I guess that would be a good reason, but include a link as well as QR code, please.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #141,414 of 152,615
A video manual no no no. Imagine trying to skip back and forth...
That's why I said "not instead of actual printable material"

My turntable stand only had an online video manual for assembly instructions, What a nightmare that was...

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:25 PM Post #141,416 of 152,615
No, but is yet another thing to have to do and to go wrong. Almost, but not quite, another SKU to deal with, and Jason has been pretty clear about his thoughts about extra SKUs, so I was extrapolating from that.
Fair enough. I am certainly out of my depth outside of the software side of things. Could be a reasonable tradeoff though, if it means having to print fewer manuals and not having to delay a product launch.

I think particularly of it was mailed separately it wouldn't have much effect on the human side of things. That part could be mostly automated I would think (at least in terms of spitting out a pre-enveloped manual with the correct address and postage, to be handed off to USPS).

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #141,417 of 152,615
And the members on this thread are a small subset of a small subset of audio enthusiasts. 90 members and 123 lurkers online at the time of this post
We're the passionate ones! As @Jason Stoddard has said (paraphrased): don't try to sell to everyone, make some people love you and sell to them.

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #141,419 of 152,615
Music still goes on ~~ (Enjoy it with my new Heckuva deal Aegir, wait for the launch of Aegir 2 but no regrets)

Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 15.31.49.png
Thank you for the rec, didn't know about it, and it reminded me that I should listen to more Mark Turner. He used to come by the Bay Area relatively often, but I've not heard him live in a long time. His playing leaves aside sax theatrics for depth, gentleness, subtlety. Like the Brian Blade of sax.

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #141,420 of 152,615
@Jason Stoddard Congrats on the release of Aegir 2. Nice humongous xfmr...

Aegir 2 product page has wrong value for input sensitivity of 14.3/12 (ref 25W rating). shouldn't it be 15.5/12 for 30 Wpc / 8 ohm rating ? or is the gain different than OG Aegir ?

(Added) @Ohno Schiitizen pwr calc: P = E * E / R, so E = sqrt (P * R) = sqrt (30 * 8) = sqrt (240) ~ 15.5V Input sensitivity is voltage needed to reach rated output.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back