Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 28, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #141,376 of 150,932
Yes. The toroids that Mike likes to make fun of work better in Ragnarok 2. Better by all metrics. Weird stuff. Sometimes you don’t know what will work and what won’t. I can speculate that the original Ragnarok 2 was a bit “fat” sounding and the new transformer leaned it out complementarily, but that’s a guess. All I know is a Ragnarok 2 started gracing my desk as soon as the toroid happened.

I noticed that the tuning of Schiit products had moved away from their usual "warm" sound, which I've now put down to how much Mike influenced them, though I'm sure my thinking is over-simplified.

Aside to the aside: except in the case of the Harman curve, which I’m surprised nobody has bitched about as being (a) done by a company wanting to sell you things using the curve, and (b) not verified by independent researchers, especially those from the academic community. Weird. But who are we to talk.

That you're not a headphone manufacture and are complaining about this says much. People forget that it's an average of preferences, not a hard line. People who should know better too.

And, before anyone takes me to task: yep, I know you need internal photos of the Aegir 2. I'll get those today. Lots of moving parts right now, in business and in life.

At least they are moving. When people ask me now how I am, I answer "Nothing has fallen off yet, so it can't be too bad".

Any chance of a new jotunheim or a balanced headphone amp between the jotunjeim and mjolnir?

I suggested bringing back the Mjolnir 2. I somehow doubt that they could do that at the same price as before though. But really, you want to get a Mjolnir 3.

This forum is a trip. Jason says, "We are thinking about getting rid of paper owner's manuals" and 1650 posts later, after everyone has chimed in multiple times, made fun of some other user, or discussed how they resell Schiit products, nothing is answered and the round-robin of snark circles back on itself.

So, after all this time, you realised the purpose of the internet? 😆

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #141,377 of 150,932
Let's discuss manuals:
Print and electronic, please. Personally, I use them both. Printed ones are in a drawer near the equipment rack. Because sometimes I don't have phone or iPad handy, and NEED to know where X connector is on the back of Freya or whatever without disconnecting that box and/or moving the entire rack. Was going to put cursing as an option, but that happens regardless.

The kind of equipment you put in boxes mandates a Setup or Safety Guide so some rocket scientist wannabe doesn't do something unsafe and/or stupid. And, since you're already there, do add those line drawings with ports, knobs and switches, as well as the normal snarky descriptions of what happens when you flip, turn, or plug something into them. But most importantly, what NOT to do after you unpack it.

Then, maybe a more detailed manual online. With a QR in the safety guide to link to it. Because stupid isn't going to fix itself, and you can't assume that everyone has internet. I mean, you can, but...

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #141,378 of 150,932
This forum is a trip. Jason says, "We are thinking about getting rid of paper owner's manuals" and 1650 posts later, after everyone has chimed in multiple times, made fun of some other user, or discussed how they resell Schiit products, nothing is answered and the round-robin of snark circles back on itself.

Mr. Stoddard, as is customary for a small business owner, please do what makes the most sense to YOU. Thank you!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-9405#post-17992236

Maybe this is just a matter of perception, but Jason asked for people's opinions. Now what some people want is not what I want, but such is the nature of opinions. The end result may be that Schiit changes nothing, but I think it's pretty cool that the input is requested and very probably considered.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #141,381 of 150,932
So, in Aegir 2, you get Halo.
I suppose a way to activate and defeat Halo would have been too complicated. Might make comparisons simpler though. A placebo dip switch on the bottom just to mess with people a little might have been a nice touch.

Zu Soul Supremes are sensitive enough that it was hard for me to tell Aegir from Gjallarhorn. Plenty of power. Only takes 1/2W to get the ear protection police on the case in my room. I’m trying to come up with a good excuse to buy an Aegir 2. The power savings of the improved stand by just isn’t doing it though.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #141,382 of 150,932
I noticed that the tuning of Schiit products had moved away from their usual "warm" sound, which I've now put down to how much Mike influenced them, though I'm sure my thinking is over-simplified.
Interesting - I enjoyed that sound signature. I guess this gives me an additional incentive to hold on to my existing Schiit collection. :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #141,384 of 150,932
Order has been placed. I bought a used Aegir about a month ago to pair with my Freya + and Devore Nines speakers. Have really enjoyed it but know that I could use a little more power. If the Aegir 2 doesn’t do it, then my next step will be to just buy one more Aegir or Aegir 2. I’m guessing that running an Aegir to left speaker and Aegir 2 to right speaker is a bad idea, despite gain being the same. 😉
Aren't the Nines around an efficiency of 91db/1watt/1meter? When you crank-up your new Aegir 2, careful, you may need hearing protection, lol. My Aegir is paired to 95db speakers and my old ears say ouch when the volume heads towards max, spl reminds me of a Stones concert. Nevertheless, Aegir 2 will be a great purchase to pair with those awesome speakers.

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #141,385 of 150,932
With all of the Schiit being refined and released is anybody else wondering when we will see a Ragnarok 3 being rolled out?

I am quite happy with my Rag 2, but I bet Jason has a long list of refinements and improvements that he could roll into a Ragnarok 3 if he desired.

Chokes
Continuity
Standby
Switchable Halo?
Feedback Yes/No
Push Pull vs Single Ended
Dac and phono cards vs no cards..

The Nexus in Ragnarok is fantastic, but maybe Jason has refinements for that as well.

Aegir 2 seems awesome, I look forward to hearing the reviews. It could be my next big Schiit purchase.
I haven't really started thinking about Ragnarok 3 yet, but some initial thoughts:

Chokes--no
Continuity--maybe
Standby--absolutely
Switchable Halo?--no good way to do Halo on a balanced differential topology, SE not quite enough for many headphones; Rag 3 will stay Nexus
Feedback Yes/No--maybe no overall feedback switch
Push Pull vs Single Ended--doesn't apply, not Class A.
Dac and phono cards vs no cards--probably only done one way with multiple digital inputs and phono input standard

But...who knows? This is wayyyyyyyyyyy far out.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #141,386 of 150,932
If you are going to go for an online only manual, can it be reformatted to look good on a phone, please?

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #141,387 of 150,932
I haven't really started thinking about Ragnarok 3 yet, but some initial thoughts:

Chokes--no
Continuity--maybe
Standby--absolutely
Switchable Halo?--no good way to do Halo on a balanced differential topology, SE not quite enough for many headphones; Rag 3 will stay Nexus
Feedback Yes/No--maybe no overall feedback switch
Push Pull vs Single Ended--doesn't apply, not Class A.
Dac and phono cards vs no cards--probably only done one way with multiple digital inputs and phono input standard

But...who knows? This is wayyyyyyyyyyy far out.
Farther out than Tyr 2? (+?)

Edit: almost entirely joking

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #141,389 of 150,932
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-9405#post-17992236

Maybe this is just a matter of perception, but Jason asked for people's opinions. Now what some people want is not what I want, but such is the nature of opinions. The end result may be that Schiit changes nothing, but I think it's pretty cool that the input is requested and very probably considered.
And the members on this thread are a small subset of a small subset of audio enthusiasts. 90 members and 123 lurkers online at the time of this post

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #141,390 of 150,932
I think making paper manuals an option at checkout (as was mentioned here already) is a great idea! Seems like everybody's happy.

"Let's see:"
- Color: black
- Plug: US
- Voltage: 110
- Manual: ✔️

And yeah as was also said, if the manuals aren't in yet, then the shipping estimate just gets moved out. At the very least you may kill fewer trees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back