Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 14, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #139,531 of 155,168
Schiit DAC arrived!!! (finally, Sonority took ages to deliver the Bifrost) Very first impression: wow what an incredible low end and details I never heard. I'll let it cook for a while and let you know my further findings.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #139,532 of 155,168
What DAC is it? Yggy+ GS?

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #139,533 of 155,168
20240213_090111.jpg
Latest iterateration. Switched back to the rpi 4 to compare w the pi 5. With the pi 4 at least the modules included w the kernel just work, but I'm still not convinced it sounds as good as w the pi 5.

More iterations to come 🙂
Franken-something! Just player or streamer or ...?

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #139,534 of 155,168
That looks like something from Dr Who circa 1973 , Jon Pertwee era !!!
True dat! Is it more Geordi LaForge or Montgomery Scott, that's the question!

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #139,535 of 155,168
Bravo! 🙌🏼

I need beta on that car. V8 it looks to be?
Twin seats? Le Mans ?

The car belongs to a very good friend of mine who likes to have a LOT of fun. :checkered_flag: It is an Oreca LMPC/FLM09... LeMans Prototype Challenge car. It was a spec prototype class for LeMans and IMSA. The engine is an LS3 that's been worked up. They are headed to the dyno tomorrow and expect ~600 at the wheels. The car weighs 1950lbs... so, it's a rocket ship. He owns "a few of these, and several other prototype racecars - including open wheel cars". I chuckled recently when @Jason Stoddard mentioned a neighbor suddenly deciding to buy various P-cars...on a whim. "Yeah, I know a guy who can / does that too". My buddy with the prototype cars is also into audio. He has all of the various expensive, "high end brands"... we also each own Wilson Audio Duette speakers that I just had custom crossovers made for, for both of us. I'm not a "Wilson Audio guy", but he had a pair and I heard them. I really love the Scan-Speak 8" woofer in it, and I'm a sucker for 2-way speakers. We both have a passion for going to the racetrack (racetracks all over the country), and audio gear.

It's an interesting thing when you observe things people are passionate about, and how they go about pursuing those passions. Over the last 18 years or so, I have observed thousands of people bring "their toy" to the racetrack. And I have observed people do a great job of "allowing themselves to be happy", and not.

It is a remarkable thing to watch people spend cubic shytetons of dollars on cars, bring it to a racetrack, and still not be happy. They still want that next "thing"... never pausing to reflect on whether it's "the thing" that can and will make them happy, or if it's something else missing that they are completely unaware of. I have observed that, quite often, they are looking at someone else's version of Happy / Fun, and letting it influence their version of Happy / Fun.

Don't let someone else define your version of Happy / Fun. Don't assume they are Happier / Having more Fun, just because they've spent more money.

It seems to me, there can be similarities in audio as well... and I have to coach myself to try not to get caught up in it. Right now, for me... it's DACs. This DAC, that DAC, everywhere a DAC DAC. Analog this, Chip that... you can allow it to drive you away from Being Happy / Having Fun. I see actual graphs / charts comparing "Plankton Levels" and Soundstage, between various DACs and think to myself... "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Batman!!". While that is all fine and well, and that "process may be the goal" (rather than listening to music)... be careful. If analysis paralysis is someone's Fun - go for it! As for me, the thing I "want" for the most is for Pandora to offer a Lossless streaming tier... because I think the Pandora algorithm is head and shoulders better than any other streaming provider for find music / content. And because "My Fun" is most important, "I'm Right". That's My Happy.

Right now, I just ordered a Yggradrasil+ GS on Monday. Should be here Friday. It only took me a 3+ years of chewing on it... but I came to the conclusion that now was the best time to buy into that "ecosystem". When "the new thingy" comes out, I can swap the card in. And, if this is "the best"... well, I guess I'll find out.

My upcoming DAC-apalooza..:
  • Schiit Yggdrasil+ GS... with the plain old, washed up, no good for no nuthin' Analog 1 card. Was it great then, and now it's not? (I have very high hopes)
  • RME ADI-2 DAC FS (AKM4493 chipset)
    • Note: Those of you asking @Jason Stoddard for a streamer... LOL! You're trying to get him (and Schiit) killed. Go look at the "RME REMOTE" software. There is no friggin' way a sane, "value driven" manufacturer should play with software upkeep like that. RME has an entire forum dedicated to dealing with people (like me) posing questions / issues. Imagine what this thread would be like... "Cats & Software Support". A lot of people at Schiit would not like life if they went down that path. Jason is doing customers (Us) a favor by actually protecting Schiit from that Black Hole of cost / support. Schiit also does not make pressure sprayers... Need one? Go buy that at the place that sells them.
  • TEAC UD-505... "All in one unit" with AKM4497...picking this up on Friday off I-75 in Wildwood. He's headed to the Florida Audio Expo show. Also getting a pair of Odyssey Lorelei Kismet speakers that "I don't need, but I'm a sucker for 2-ways". Life is hard, and I am Blessed. My wife loves me.
  • Ayre QB-9 Twenty - I like it and should leave well enough alone, but I'm Having Fun.
  • Modi Multibit - And then... I shall plug-in the friggin' Modi Multibit I bought in the parking lot at Petty's Meat Market years ago and remind myself... "have fun playing with different DACs... but let's Keep It Real."
  • Bifrost 2/64 - Oh... and I still may snag a Bifrost 2/64, again, because I have The Dumb and sold my first one.
Ya'll make sure you're having "Your Fun"... and Allow yourself to Be Happy. Don't let other people sharing their version of Happy make you think you aren't already.

IMG_7629.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #139,536 of 155,168
The car belongs to a very good friend of mine who likes to have a LOT of fun. :checkered_flag: It is an Oreca LMPC/FLM09... LeMans Prototype Challenge car. It was a spec prototype class for LeMans and IMSA. The engine is an LS3 that's been worked up. They are headed to the dyno tomorrow and expect ~600 at the wheels. The car weighs 1950lbs... so, it's a rocket ship. He owns "a few of these, and several other prototype racecars - including open wheel cars". I chuckled recently when @Jason Stoddard mentioned a neighbor suddenly deciding to buy various P-cars...on a whim. "Yeah, I know a guy who can / does that too". My buddy with the prototype cars is also into audio. He has all of the various expensive, "high end brands"... we also each own Wilson Audio Duette speakers that I just had custom crossovers made for, for both of us. I'm not a "Wilson Audio guy", but he had a pair and I heard them. I really love the Scan-Speak 8" woofer in it, and I'm a sucker for 2-way speakers. We both have a passion for going to the racetrack (racetracks all over the country), and audio gear.

It's an interesting thing when you observe things people are passionate about, and how they go about pursuing those passions. Over the last 18 years or so, I have observed thousands of people bring "their toy" to the racetrack. And I have observed people do a great job of "allowing themselves to be happy", and not.

It is a remarkable thing to watch people spend cubic shytetons of dollars on cars, bring it to a racetrack, and still not be happy. They still want that next "thing"... never pausing to reflect on whether it's "the thing" that can and will make them happy, or if it's something else missing that they are completely unaware of. I have observed that, quite often, they are looking at someone else's version of Happy / Fun, and letting it influence their version of Happy / Fun.

Don't let someone else define your version of Happy / Fun. Don't assume they are Happier / Having more Fun, just being they've spent more money.

It seems to me, there can be similarities in audio as well... and I have to coach myself to try not to get caught up in it. Right now, for me... it's DACs. This DAC, that DAC, everywhere a DAC DAC. Analog this, Chip that... you can allow it to drive you away from Being Happy / Having Fun. I see actual graphs / charts comparing "Plankton Levels" and Soundstage, between various DACs and think to myself... "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Batman!!". While that is all fine and well, and that "process may be the goal" (rather than listening to music)... be careful. If analysis paralysis is someone's Fun - go for it! As for me, the thing I "want" for the most is for Pandora to offer a Lossless streaming tier... because I think the Pandora algorithm is head and shoulders better than any other streaming provider for find music / content. And because "My Fun" is most important, "I'm Right". That's My Happy.

Right now, I just ordered a Yggradrasil+ GS on Monday. Should be here Friday. It only took me a 3+ years of chewing on it... but I came to the conclusion that now was the best time to buy into that "ecosystem". When "the new thingy" comes out, I can swap the card in. And, if this is "the best"... well, I guess I'll find out.

• Schiit Yggdrasil+ GS... with the plain old, washed up, no good for no nuthin' Analog 1 card. Was it great then, and now it's not? (I have very high hopes)
    • Note: Those of you asking @Jason Stoddard for a streamer... LOL! You're trying to get him (and Schiit) killed. Go look at the "RME REMOTE" software. There is no friggin' way a sane, "value driven" manufacturer should play with software upkeep like that. RME has an entire forum dedicated to dealing with people (like me) posing questions / issues. Imagine what this thread would be like... "Cats & Software Support". A lot of people at Schiit would not like life if they went down that path. Jason is doing customers (Us) a favor by actually protecting Schiit from that Black Hole of cost / support. Schiit also does not make pressure sprayers... Need on? Go buy that at the place that sells them.
  • TEAC UD-505... "All in one unit" with AKM4497...picking this up on Friday of I-75 in Wildwood. He's headed to the Florida Audio Expo show. Also getting long a pair of Odyssey Lorelei Kismet speakers that "I don't need, but I'm a sucker for 2-ways". Life is hard, and I am Blessed. My wife loves me.
  • Ayre QB-9 Twenty - I like it and should leave well enough alone, but I'm Having Fun.
  • Modi Multibit - And then... I shall plug-in the friggin' Modi Multibit I bought in the parking lot at Petty's Meat Market years ago and remind myself... "have fun playing with different DACs... but let's Keep It Real."
  • Bifrost 2/64 - Oh... and I still may snag a Bifrost 2/64, again, because I have The Dumb and sold my first one.
Ya'll make sure you're having "Your Fun"... and Allow yourself to Be Happy. Don't let other people sharing their version of Happy make you think you aren't already.

IMG_7629.jpeg

Will Smith said it good !

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #139,537 of 155,168

Don't let someone else define your version of Happy / Fun. Don't assume they are Happier / Having more Fun, just because they've spent more money.

• Note: Those of you asking @Jason Stoddard for a streamer... LOL! You're trying to get him (and Schiit) killed. Go look at the "RME REMOTE" software. There is no friggin' way a sane, "value driven" manufacturer should play with software upkeep like that. RME has an entire forum dedicated to dealing with people (like me) posing questions / issues. Imagine what this thread would be like... "Cats & Software Support". A lot of people at Schiit would not like life if they went down that path. Jason is doing customers (Us) a favor by actually protecting Schiit from that Black Hole of cost / support. Schiit also does not make pressure sprayers... Need one? Go buy that at the place that sells them.
  • TEAC UD-505... "All in one unit" with AKM4497...picking this up on Friday off I-75 in Wildwood. He's headed to the Florida Audio Expo show. Also getting a pair of Odyssey Lorelei Kismet speakers that "I don't need, but I'm a sucker for 2-ways". Life is hard, and I am Blessed. My wife loves me.

Love the above two lines !

I have the RME adi-2 dac fs ESS version, love it, but it serves as a tool though sounds very nice, and the latest remote app is a bonus from RME. Most of the time (99%) I listen Apple Music stream with Modi Multibit 2, wonderful and musical! Recently got a Valhalla 2, adds more fun to it.

My system runs SE.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #139,538 of 155,168

IMG_7629.jpeg

That car sounds like a ripper. Gotta love a race-tuned LS!

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #139,539 of 155,168
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #139,540 of 155,168
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #139,541 of 155,168
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #139,542 of 155,168
Feb 14, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #139,543 of 155,168
Not if they can scare people with pseudo-science and make a few bucks off it. :)

May be one gentleman can hear the wave ... he mentioned many times -300dB ...

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #139,544 of 155,168

It seems to me, there can be similarities in audio as well... and I have to coach myself to try not to get caught up in it. Right now, for me... it's DACs. This DAC, that DAC, everywhere a DAC DAC. Analog this, Chip that... you can allow it to drive you away from Being Happy / Having Fun. I see actual graphs / charts comparing "Plankton Levels" and Soundstage, between various DACs and think to myself... "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Batman!!". While that is all fine and well, and that "process may be the goal" (rather than listening to music)... be careful. If analysis paralysis is someone's Fun - go for it! As for me, the thing I "want" for the most is for Pandora to offer a Lossless streaming tier... because I think the Pandora algorithm is head and shoulders better than any other streaming provider for find music / content. And because "My Fun" is most important, "I'm Right". That's My Happy

Amen, brutha! I've recently hit that state with my headphone stack and a tube pair that just ties everything together into a state of audio bliss. I'd like to get a Mjolnir 3 later this year, but it's not urgent - it's a want, not a need to have. The Asgard 3 and Piety are not leaving me wanting, nor are the 2 headphones I use with that stack.

I've also started re-reading The Hobbit, to be followed by the Lord of the Rings (for the 9th or 10th time in in my life), after re-watching for the umpteenth time the extended version of the trilogy, to be followed by almost all of the books compiled by Tolkien's son Christopher, all first-time reads. Those make me happy too. Working from home for a firm that is a perfect match to my checklist of what I want out of an employer who also values my input and advice - that adds to the happiness mix. No settling for a paycheque there.

Circling back to the audio stack and life in general, in my experience at least, there's a correlation between being dissatisfied with a core element or elements in life and not being satisfied with what you have in front of you. Now that I'm in a very good place with my life and getting a very good sleep most nights (compared to where I was with my former employer of 13 years and the stress there, where I was getting maybe 5 hours sleep on a good night), I'm enjoying what I have in all my hobbies and not pining too much :wink: for that lens or that camera body or that next audio component. It's all about being able to be in the moment and enjoy what's in front of you to the fullest. Right now I can't wait for the late evening and firing up the stack and settling down for an hour or 2 of superb audio reproduction and a good book.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back