Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 25, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #137,491 of 149,493
Jan 25, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #137,492 of 149,493
The most important approval is from the Mrs. to buy, if not approved or over bought, everything will be thrown away. :ksc75smile:
I've become more of an "ask for forgiveness rather than permission" kind of guy the older I get...

Jan 25, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #137,493 of 149,493
The older I get the more I become a "Get Over It!" kinda guy. 😄

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #137,494 of 149,493
I don't think this is UL approved? :unamused:

** Before anyone undertakes such a task using Bill's specs/information, they should probably know that @bcowen is moving to OK because he burned his GA house down. Just sayin'.

OK. Maybe not, but only by the grace of God. :smirk:
Did this burnin' down of the house occurred during a BBQ?

Jan 25, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #137,500 of 149,493
Jan 25, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #137,502 of 149,493
If I was buying something for desktop listening to hook to wreckers, I would look at the Zu DWX bookshelves. My Omen IIs are easily driven by my Aegir and are not nearfield.

As much as I love my Zu Speakers combined with Aegir, I would think the DWX would be too big for a desktop set-up. Each is 42 pounds and is 12" x 12" x 23" in size. I bet they sound great though!

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #137,503 of 149,493
My 4 pairs of Dutch-made 1960’s Amperex ECC88 tubes arrived today. As soon as I got home I inspected them and put a pair into my Freya N. I love the Amperex sound: rich, warm, nice soundstage, clear mids, highs that don’t pierce the eardrum, and they make electric guitars sound wonderful. First up tonight is Frank Zappa’s “Hot Rats”, an album that I surprisingly hadn’t listened to before. What a great album - ahead of its time and full of some spectacular jams, particularly “Willie the Pimp” and “The Gumbo Variations”. The album art is…unfortunate.

1706236886643.jpeg

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #137,504 of 149,493
Electrical devices are available in contractor or consumer grade [cheap], commercial or specification grade [much better], and hospital grade. All of the electrical manufacturers [Leviton, Hubbell, LeGrand, AH&H, etc.] make these grade. A wall outlet can be had for $0.95 to $50. In all cases, ALWAYS side wire the device, NEVER use the push in back wire features. The better grade devices grip the plugs like a gorilla, and really help to get a solid connection. All of my receptacles feeding audio gear, and all of my shop receptacles are hospital grade. All of my kitchen and laundry employ spec grade, and that extends into a good part of the house. When the contractor grade stuff fails, it is replaced with spec grade. All romex in my house is 12 AWG or larger, and ALL receptacles, switches, and GFCIs are side wired. All wiring is copper, including all 200A wire between the utility meter and the transfer switch disconnect.
In the house I've been renting for the past 1.5 years, probably 80% of the outlets can barely grip even the lightest, most basic plugs and I don't even know what to do about it. It's always felt like something I should be bugging my landlord about as it seems to be a safety issue as much as one of inconvenience.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #137,505 of 149,493
Having just seen an add for another piece of gear that is touted as made with a CNC machined case, I am staggered by how many companies promote it and how many reviewers get excited about it. If that is all that you can say about your product, then you really haven't designed something very special.

CNC is not some artisan method of manufacturing, it is automated production. This isn't some ancient and wise Japanese blacksmith making a sword by hammering hundreds of layers of steel together. Making a box out of solid aluminum is dumb and wasteful. Designing it that way and selling it as something special is lazy. CNC is not premium, it is actually a bloody stupid way to make an enclosure.

Thank you, Jason, for good industrial design that still looks premium whilst still being sensible. Even if your vendors probably use CNC in the folding and in the pick and place to make the boards. In the right place, CNC can make sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back