Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:47 PM Post #136,126 of 149,847
i had an uncle that claimed "You havent lived until you have -
* gotten arrested
* contracted an std
* been in a fight"

and probably several other questionable things.. im good.
Dead man walking ... :rolling_eyes:

8 kHz to 40kHz would be wasted on me. My old ears are only good to about 5kHz.😁

My ears have a hard stop at 14KHz. 12KHz seems to be where I start fading out.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #136,127 of 149,847
i had an uncle that claimed "You havent lived until you have -
* gotten arrested
* contracted an std
* been in a fight"

and probably several other questionable things.. im good.
He should add: *get a boyfriend in prison*

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:08 PM Post #136,128 of 149,847
Thanks to Jason we are all designing Schiit in our sleep. At least I am.

I woke up at four A. M. convinced that the world needs a hybrid speaker amplifier that incorporates a Schiit Valhalla, front end, with a G-Horn circuit to power the speakers. All this, with a few more inputs and outputs, and designed to fit into a Freya sized case.

Please Schiit, make it so. 😁
A class G amp designed with SQ on the low rails tailored for nearfield, and the high gain able to drive some of those larger room use speakers that are not highly efficient, as close to 50W as possible. Who is the norse god of facultativety anyway?

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #136,129 of 149,847
One of the nicest pairings to date with my ZMF VC's is via the Piety (the OC small one) and the Schiit Modius E Dac. A week with the MB2 and then the Modius E.
Even though I love the MB2 the Modius E just makes thing so clear and transparent...with most music I listen to,

So many great flavors.

I never thought I would look at a DS dac again.
Looking forward to listening with a higher end Schiit DS dac....soon!

:>)
Alex
Hopefully you won't have to wait very long past this summer!

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #136,130 of 149,847
I found that it took quite a while for both Yggy OG A2 and MiB to "settle". I can't imagine that GS2 would be a whole lot different.

I don't turn either of them off, unless there's a thunderstorm (not frequent here in NorCal) or extended work travel.
Took my gs2 about a week (approximately) to settle

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #136,131 of 149,847
Thank you. They do have a dipole EMT, but at that price I would just invest in new speakers.

I was just kicking the idea around. Not sure it would really work as I have questions about point source alignment and the fact that the Lores put the woofer/Mid driver above the tweeter creates some concerns for me as well. It does seem it would create far more problems than it would solve.

BTW, @bcowen -- the Lore reference have a soft dome ring radiator fabric tweeter, unlike you OG Lore with an aluminum dome SEAS tweeter. I'm sure yours have a bit more zip and air on the top-end.
Mine have the Audax gold dome tweeters. But you are correct that most metal domes typically have a bit more zing up top than soft domes.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #136,132 of 149,847
Mine have the Audax gold dome tweeters. But you are correct that most metal domes typically have a bit more zing up top than soft domes.
Interesting, I like silk for the detail whereas titanium can smooth things over.. that being said the Audax you mentioned is pretty well renowned as being great.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #136,134 of 149,847
Hey all,

A quick note: Saga S is done. As in, we have a few left, but they'll be moving to closeout. Look for them there in a day or two if you want one. Saga+ stays as-is.

Awwww... That was going to be my next piece of Schiit. A passive pre with remote is exactly up my alley.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #136,136 of 149,847
Awwww... That was going to be my next piece of Schiit. A passive pre with remote is exactly up my alley.
The Freya S would be an excellent alternative.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #136,137 of 149,847
The Freya S would be an excellent alternative.
I would agree. The Saga S was very good, but the Freya S is a real gem. If you can grab one of the few left on closeout, you won't regret it.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #136,138 of 149,847
IMG_9185.jpeg

1996 Starbucks reissue of Chess Records.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:27 PM Post #136,139 of 149,847
Thank you. They do have a dipole EMT, but at that price I would just invest in new speakers.

I was just kicking the idea around. Not sure it would really work as I have questions about point source alignment and the fact that the Lores put the woofer/Mid driver above the tweeter creates some concerns for me as well. It does seem it would create far more problems than it would solve.

BTW, @bcowen -- the Lore reference have a soft dome ring radiator fabric tweeter, unlike you OG Lore with an aluminum dome SEAS tweeter. I'm sure yours have a bit more zip and air on the top-end.
What about a tweeter upgrade from Tekton?

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #136,140 of 149,847
Hi Jason,
I say this with all due respect because I genuinely love your products and have happily handed over quite a bit of money to your company, but it's not my opinion that I hear an uncomfortable itchiness using the Bifrost 2, it's a fact. I do. I did say it was something "some people are sensitive to", as I know lots of people who don't hear this as well, and you seem to be one of them. I wish I was too. However, I'm not the only person who's reported this phenomenon, it's not an opinion I have like I think Star Trek is cool, it's something I hear and in some sense feel on a physiological level especially when I pair it with certain other gear and it actually causes headaches. (Pairing the Bifrost 2 with the Audiolab 8300 for example was significantly more painful than pairing it with the SMSL SU-8.) Again, I am sensitive to this and there's lots (too many) of other gear that gives me headaches which clearly don't give other people headaches, but I think it's a bit cavalier to dismiss someone else's lived experience as "just an opinion".

I have to disagree with your "lived experience" argument. Let's say I'm colorblind. A gorgeous red Ferrari drives by. I see it as grey. Because I can't see it as red doesn't change the fact that it's red. My perception of the color doesn't change the fact it's red. The painter chose to paint it red. The vast majority of people see it as red. When light hits it, it reflects back the correct wavelength of light to be scientifically called, "red." There may be thousands of people who are colorblind as well that would perceive it the same as me. There may be others with tinted sunglasses that see it as a different color entirely. We could poll everyone to see what color people elect to call it, and maybe even get a majority of a sample group to say it's grey. But neither democracy nor my "lived experience" as color blind change the fact that when sunlight hits the paint, it reflects 607.9 nm wavelength, or Ferrari Red. One person's perception of reality does not get to redefine facts.

Sorry. I hate to be the guy who argues on the internet, but I thought my analogy may be helpful. I don't mean any disrespect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back