Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #136,141 of 152,613
What about a tweeter upgrade from Tekton?
I was kicking that around last year and reached out to Eric at Tekton Deigns asking if I could upgrade to beryllium tweeters via self-install or whether speakers would need to go back for a x-over upgrade, as well. I got no response. I'll try again.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #136,142 of 152,613
I have to disagree with your "lived experience" argument. Let's say I'm colorblind. A gorgeous red Ferrari drives by. I see it as grey. Because I can't see it as red doesn't change the fact that it's red. My perception of the color doesn't change the fact it's red. The painter chose to paint it red. The vast majority of people see it as red. When light hits it, it reflects back the correct wavelength of light to be scientifically called, "red." There may be thousands of people who are colorblind as well that would perceive it the same as me. There may be others with tinted sunglasses that see it as a different color entirely. We could poll everyone to see what color people elect to call it, and maybe even get a majority of a sample group to say it's grey. But neither democracy nor my "lived experience" as color blind change the fact that when sunlight hits the paint, it reflects 607.9 nm wavelength, or Ferrari Red. One person's perception of reality does not get to redefine facts.

Sorry. I hate to be the guy who argues on the internet, but I thought my analogy may be helpful. I don't mean any disrespect.
Hi. If I said "some people see red as grey," that's not an opinion, it's a fact. Some people are color blind and therefore see red as gray. What the color actually "is" is immaterial; color is a perception anyway. 607.9nm wavelength is not color, color is something that happens in your brain when the 607.9nm wavelength hits your eyeball and transmits a signal through your optical nerve. (This is the very old philosophical question where two people might perceive a shade of red slightly differently and have no way of knowing because they have no other frame of reference.)

Similarly, if I say "some people have an uncomfortable itchiness when listening to the Bifrost 2", that's also not an opinion, it's a fact. We have enough people who've reported it that it's not an isolated incident. Just as some people are colorblind, some people are sensitive to sound in ways that other people are not.

Like it's not really worth debating, there's nothing to debate.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #136,143 of 152,613
Nah, Schiit DACs (and others) are known to have a prickliness (aka "treble f*ckery") that some people are sensitive to. See the helpful chart at SBAF here: #190
Where is 'treble fckery' defined as 'prickliness'?

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #136,144 of 152,613
I thought it was Moonshine if it was made in NC?

NOPE. This is a common enough myth, but a myth is all it remains. Bourbon as defined by U.S. legislation is a uniquely American spirit and not a Kentucky one. Our Oregon Spirit Bourbon is absolutely as much a Bourbon by every definition of the law as anything from Kentucky. 🥃

Bourbon Definition
It's not a myth, but isn't a modern trade restriction.

There was a time, when only wine made in the Burgundy region of France, could be labeled Burgundy. Same for the wines in the other regions of France. The restriction only had teeth if one wanted to sell the wine in France.

This is the similar restriction on whisky/whiskey made in Kentucky, and other places. Tennessee respected Kentucky's name, (trademark) and called their whiskey "Tennessee whiskey", rather than Bourbon. Different distilling process, Tennessee filters their product through charcoal before filling the barrels, while Kentucky pours their product into new charred oak barrels.

Interesting that Japan makes some of the best Bourbons, Scotches, and whiskey's available.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #136,145 of 152,613
The more I read it, the more "plankton" as an audio term annoys me. It's just out of left field.
SBAF seems to like the term.

Is "chatter","static", or "noise", better?

To me, plankton suggests a granularity in the music. A quality I don't think the adjectives I suggested cover.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #136,146 of 152,613
I would agree. The Saga S was very good, but the Freya S is a real gem. If you can grab one of the few left on closeout, you won't regret it.
+1!

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #136,148 of 152,613
It is supposedly GOOD.

Jan 13, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #136,149 of 152,613
OK, now I’m getting confused.

Is plankton good or bad?

And no, I’m not asking about Plankton on Sponge Bob. I already know about him.

Plankton makes things wet and smooth like caviar!

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #136,151 of 152,613
Jan 13, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #136,152 of 152,613
Is that all that you can contribute, Tom????
At this point in time yes.😉 I was up all night with a kidney stone issue and the pain pills did me in much of the day.

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #136,153 of 152,613
Plankton being exclusive for SBAF is DEBUNKED go watch Resolve's mentioning plankton on his Susvara's review

Plankton quality is REAL

Jan 13, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #136,154 of 152,613

Users who are viewing this thread

Back