Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:49 AM Post #136,067 of 149,552
Texas did roll-back property taxes this year, so there will be some relief. While prices of homes have gone up (like probably everywhere else), I'm willing to bet we are still less per sq. ft than many places in the Northeast, California, Northwest, etc. Even with a higher tax % the lower housing costs relative to other big markets would likely yield a lower over-all tax burden. (I have not fact-checked this. It is my semi-informed opinion.) :wink:
And, at least for DFW, Houston, Austin/SA Metro Regions, you would be wrong if you fact checked it. Not the worst, but in the top 5-15% of the high end.

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #136,068 of 149,552
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #136,069 of 149,552
I don't think that is true. Maybe to be called Kentucky Bourbon. As I understand it, it just needs to be distilled in the US and have a corn content of 51% or greater. We have a local company here in PA, Liberty Pole, that makes a very nice Bourbon.
This is correct, with some other stipulations regarding proof off stills, types of barrels, time in said, proof on barreling, etc.

Broadly, any distillate produced from cereal grains with at least 51% corn, distilled to 80% ABV or less, barreled in charred, new oak barrels at less than 62.5% ABV, in the US of A, for various lengths of time, is Bourbon in one for another.

Kentucky Bourbon is not a legal designation, but a marketing one, though many fine Bourbons are from Kentucky.

Fun fact, from the. End of prohibition until 2024, there was not a legally operating distillery in Bourbon County, KY.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #136,070 of 149,552
Oh-oh.. The food-industry is trying to get their hands on our cardboard!

Beware people..

1705130372721.png

Jan 13, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #136,071 of 149,552
You want to really hear this effect - listen closely to Jeff Beck playing an electric guitar. :)
+1 @RCBinTN

I have been very fortunate to see many of the truly great guitarists.

I saw Jeff Beck twice, and he was an absolute maestro; a guitarist’s guitarist, who was revered by top players such as EC, David Gilmour and many others.

JB’s gig at the O2 in London about 12 years ago, was one of the most incredible performances I have ever experienced.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #136,072 of 149,552
Yggy GS2 is quite the Time Machine, bringing back a fine T Rex specimen for Friday night!

I’m pleasantly surprised just how good this sounds!
That made me smile @33na3rd

When I was a teenager, and T Rex were huge in the UK, no self-respecting Rock fan would admit to liking this ‘Glam Rock’!

Marc Bolan was a very talented guy and a pretty good guitarist.

I have just bought an Abbey Rd half-speed remaster of ‘Electric Warrior’ on vinyl.

It arrived yesterday and I was listening to it last night with a glass of Bunnahabhain…

What a great album and Miles Showell has done a really good job remastering it- as he has with several other ‘classic’ albums.

Edit:
Here is some information from Miles about his approach:
https://www.abbeyroad.com/news/what...n expert in,which hugely improves the quality.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #136,073 of 149,552
... using terms with no generally accepted meaning in the field, but hey if it's useful to you then more power to you.
Right until the number of people using it correctly and consistently increases to…

Oh you know, where we have advanced since the “flat frequency response uber alles” measurebators ran things pre-JGH and HP days.

Engineering is one part science and one part evaluation against the progress of the design against its goal(s). Any system designed to be USED by/for humans subjective senses must, per logic, be evaluated and adjusted (typically iteratively) until success is realized. Ones goal can be limited by only those things that can be directly measured by human tools. Meaning any/all future potential improvements due to eliminating elements of (intentional, but not with malice) ignorance will very likely never be achieved. Or, ones goal can be continually stretched by asking “WHY” does A SOUND better (to me/us) than B?

Ergo the broader and more consistency (are meaurebators still yelling that perception of “soundstage” doesn’t exist, including even in - well done - mono) with which NEW descriptive regimes and terms become accepted (see “broader” and “consistency”), the more valuable and useful they would be to ME and OTHERS.

(NB, like all, this falls under: Human 101: I do I, You do You, We do We; I and You driven to be in the *right* (*ha*) “we”.)

And that’s the power of some people always pushing the envelope… in any human endeavor.

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #136,074 of 149,552
I thought it was Moonshine if it was made in NC?
I had an uncle and a grandfather that ran the stuff back in the 1950’s and 60’s, and to them it was simply ‘white liquor’. They never called it moonshine. They would pick it up at various places in Wilkes County and deliver it to the (illegal) bars in Charlotte.

Jan 13, 2024 at 8:29 AM Post #136,075 of 149,552
And, at least for DFW, Houston, Austin/SA Metro Regions, you would be wrong if you fact checked it. Not the worst, but in the top 5-15% of the high end.
Really? Even after the tax roll-backs and the fact that there is no state income tax? The over-all tax burden for an individual (not just property tax) is still about the same as major cities in states with an income tax? Oh, well.

I'm sure this doesn't paint the entire picture, but I found it interesting that TX is the 6th lowest. Of course this is across the entire state. City figures I'm finding are not as current.

https://taxfoundation.org/data/all/state/tax-burden-by-state-2022/

** BTW -- Austin doesn't count as it is for all intents and purposes a California city now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #136,077 of 149,552
I'm not sure but maybe that New Record Day reviewer on YouTube? I know I've seen a Tyr review and I've seen open baffle reviews, just not sure if he did the two together.

He LOVES the Tyrs btw.
Open baffle speakers driven by Tyrs is a winner. Upgrading from mono Vidars brought better tone with the biggest improvement in the bass. Recommended combo.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #136,079 of 149,552
I had an uncle and a grandfather that ran the stuff back in the 1950’s and 60’s, and to them it was simply ‘white liquor’. They never called it moonshine. They would pick it up at various places in Wilkes County and deliver it to the (illegal) bars in Charlotte.

Moonshine (because folks worked the stills at night to make it difficult for revenue agents to find them), White Lightning (an even stronger Moonshine), and White Whiskey are all pretty much used interchangeably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back