Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 12, 2024 at 1:50 AM Post #135,902 of 150,451
100% on LIM. I use it in my main 2- channel setup...for those with the aforementioned issues, this is the best DAC you can find.

Edit: honestly, at this point, my frame of reference is Moffat, if he likes it my ears like it. I blame all the extremely loud indie shows I went to in the 2000's lol.
I don’t want to think what the many dozens of Yo La Tengo club shows did to me long term, but damn, they were good.

Jan 12, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #135,903 of 150,451
Does anyone have experience moving from a Parasound Halo Integrated to a Schiit separates configuration? I have a pair of Tekton Double Impact speakers, which are really efficient and don’t dip below 4 ohms, but I listen to everything from orchestral to EDM.

Therefore I am interested in folks who have experience moving from a Parasound Halo integrated to a Freya/Kara plus Aegir/Vidar/Tyr combination. Thanks!

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #135,904 of 150,451
Well, we're just sharing our experience. We're not trying to take anything away from anyone. If you don't think you're sensitive to treble issues (and you probably know if you are) then you probably won't have a problem with the Bifrost or whatever else. Even if you are sensitive to treble issues maybe you won't hear it in the Bfirost, or maybe your other gear makes it so you don't hear it. The only way to really know is to try it for yourself.

Hearing is really weird.
Yes, but if that experience is phrased as if it is a fact (or at least phrased in a way that your readers are more likely to see it that way), the message gets a different meaning. Not for you maybe, but certainly for the receiver(s) of the message. That is what you may want to take into account next time (note that I say "may want to", not "must"; it is my opinion, not a fact).

Jan 12, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #135,905 of 150,451
There are a lot of variable at audio..... the recording, the player (from turntable to tape deck to DAC), the amp, the headphone/speakers, the ears, the brain ......

If the equipment doesn't sound right and nice to your ears, return it, or sell it. PERIOD.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #135,906 of 150,451
Jan 12, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #135,907 of 150,451
This is wonderful :)

Screenshot 2024-01-12 at 17.55.41.png

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #135,908 of 150,451
Sorry, but no. "Blackground" is and remains utter BS. To describe what you interpret that term would mean you can just use "blackness" or "quiet" or "noiseless baseline" or even "able to adequately recreate micro-dynamics" or whatever else you feel like using — as long as it is descriptive while using words everybody can understand, or at a bare minimum go look up in their dictionary. There's absolutely no need to invent a new term for it, especially if that new term is neither descriptive nor unambiguous.

Is it descriptive? Maybe, if I'm squinting reeeeeeally hard.
Is it unambiguous? Absolutely not. Case in point being that we've spent all afternoon debating this and we're still none the wiser about what it's supposed to actually mean.

By your own standard: Does "blackness" describe something that can't be easily described in simple, already established terms? If yes, then it "furthers the art." If not, then it's BS.

Ergo: It's
Agree - Blackground is up there with 'imagineering' and 'chillax ' in naffology

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #135,910 of 150,451
Sorry, but no. "Blackground" is and remains utter BS. To describe what you interpret that term would mean you can just use "blackness" or "quiet" or "noiseless baseline" or even "able to adequately recreate micro-dynamics" or whatever else you feel like using — as long as it is descriptive while using words everybody can understand, or at a bare minimum go look up in their dictionary. There's absolutely no need to invent a new term for it, especially if that new term is neither descriptive nor unambiguous.

Is it descriptive? Maybe, if I'm squinting reeeeeeally hard.
Is it unambiguous? Absolutely not. Case in point being that we've spent all afternoon debating this and we're still none the wiser about what it's supposed to actually mean.

By your own standard: Does "blackness" describe something that can't be easily described in simple, already established terms? If yes, then it "furthers the art." If not, then it's BS.

Ergo: It's BS.
I see your point, but I don't fully agree, as I think
"able to adequately recreate micro-dynamics"
still doesn't quite capture it correctly. Maybe "able to adequately recreate dynamics in quiet passages". But "adequately recreate" may be wrong if it is possible to have too much of this, exaggerating these same dynamics. Yes: we don't really have a good definition of this. Yet.

Anyway, any of those descriptions is just too cumbersome as a label. You can't put that on a graph. You can't easily work that into a sentence and discuss it as a single concept. Some people are going to have a really hard time even remembering it as a single concept.

And if it is truly a useful concept with which to discuss SQ, I think we need to have a label for it that enables all those things. On the other hand: I don't think we even know that yet! I see these not-yet-set-in-stone terms as an experiment, does the label stick around and fill a useful function? Is productive discussion and comparisons helped by the use of this label?

The jury is still out in this case, in my opinion. I've been thinking this concept might be useful for like 15 years but I'm still undecided. I'm sure it is distinct from just a lack of noise, but not sure that it is distinct from overall ability to reproduce dynamics + lack of noise.

I'm fairly sure of one thing: this kind of discussion is productive. This is how we find which concepts a large enough portion of us agree are useful, understandable and in need of a label.

Jan 12, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #135,911 of 150,451
In my experience and opinion jargon is non-sense meant to confuse and mislead others.
I find jargon that I don't know to be nonsense and confusing upon first contact, but not meant to confuse or mislead. Like almost all of language, the purpose is to enable and ease communication, not hamper it - however, it is created within a small group and by default not readily understood by anyone outside that group. If confusing language is used or even created with the purpose of masking what is truly being said the correct moniker for that would be slang. I'm not sure that there even is a word for the case when it is actually meant to mislead.

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #135,913 of 150,451
That's a nice one! I've never had the pleasure of hearing a floor to ceiling line source. Carver makes one, as well as a few others.
What's the price? Will it blow up Tyrs?
According to 15 year old memories of something that was 20 years ago, thus doubly untrustworthy... they did not have a list price in Sweden but were calculated from the price in DKK upon order. And that was in the vicinity of 400,000 DKK.

If that is correct, then according to HifiShark the used price has been around a quarter of list, down to a fifth and up to a third. I'm not sure if that seems in line with expectations for ultra high end speakers? I don't know that end of the market!

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:35 AM Post #135,914 of 150,451
the snow started 20 minutes before the picture... the driver actually slid past the corner and hit the wall - cars + 2 more are still there 3 hours later... no wonder why people laugh at Vancouverites.

snow....jpg
We old Texans used to say that "once it starts snowing, you can't reserve a space in a ditch." Seen that picture a few times.

Jan 12, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #135,915 of 150,451
So I bought my first gear: couldn't resist an Uber BiFrost and Asgard. What a cute stack, and the DAC even had a USB input (that's why it was called "Uber"). A couple of PYST cables and I was off to the races.

As an owner of the original Bifrost, I should set this straight. The OG Bifrost did come with USB as an option but that wasn't related to the Uber upgrade (I never did get the USB card for mine). The Uber upgrade affected the analog output. The OG Bifrost used capacitor coupling on its out put, the Uber upgrade used a DC servo. I believe that there was also a change to the active devices but can't remember the details on that. The swap involved changing out one card.

I gifted my Bifrost Uber to a friend when I bought my Gungnir Multibit. It's now a multibit DAC (with usB) and still in operation in his system.

:beerchug:
JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back