Jan 11, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #135,856 of 150,439
Cattin' around

Attachments

• 20230727_223626.jpg
    20230727_223626.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 0
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #135,858 of 150,439
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #135,859 of 150,439
I never learned these terms getting my degree in EE stuff...must have been banging during that class!!
LOL!

Alex
FTFY. 🤣

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #135,861 of 150,439
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #135,862 of 150,439
How else do you come up with an excuse to sit around and day drink??
That's the beauty of it. In my new non-occupation, I don't need to make excuses. 🤣

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #135,863 of 150,439
Some recent postings caused me to remember my favourite tune by Meja: https://tidal.com/track/490404

Which in turn caused me to think about my favourite album of hers: https://tidal.com/album/242295108

----

On jargon: eventually, some of it settles into terminology. Which can be crucial to furthening the art. A whole lot of the differences we hear and care about do not have clear explanations and clear terminology yet.

There are two considerations I'd like to remind everyone of:
1. There are lots we don't know yet about what makes a hifi system sound good or bad, sound right or wrong, sound convincingly like the real thing or clearly unlike the real thing. We should not, as a whole, stop trying to figure this all out. Therefore it is my opinion that it is not wise of us to mock those who are trying, whether they be ASR or SBAF, no matter how far off the mark they may be. They may find something worth exploring.
2. Many, possibly most, audiophiles have limited opportunities to hear all the stuff that is on the market. Especially true for direct-to-customer stuff like Schiit. We'll take whatever we can get in comparisons of gear. The more gear compared with consistent terminology the better, if the methodology is consistent too then I'm very very grateful!

With that said...

Plankton is apparently a badly chosen word, and no I don't know what it means.

Blackground seems to me like a fairly descriptive and well-chosen word though! As I understand it, it is the silence from which even a quiet sound appears in sharp contrast.

Not perceptible on noisy recordings, good recordings with a non-silent background but extremely low noise can showcase this to some extent but mostly it is the background of an essentially background-less recording. Clearly non-essential to the enjoyment of most recordings but I find it very fun with some music.

And perhaps more or less blackground, even if non-essential to most listening for most listeners, can be indicative or useful information in searching for differences between gear and finding what suits whom. Maybe it can eventually be explained in technical terms or even measured.

----

Finally, "in my opinion" and "in my experience" are to me quite different. Opinions can be debated and discounted, but experiences cannot.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #135,865 of 150,439
Blackground seems to me like a fairly descriptive and well-chosen word though! As I understand it, it is the silence from which even a quiet sound appears in sharp contrast.
Sorry, but no. "Blackground" is and remains utter BS. To describe what you interpret that term would mean you can just use "blackness" or "quiet" or "noiseless baseline" or even "able to adequately recreate micro-dynamics" or whatever else you feel like using — as long as it is descriptive while using words everybody can understand, or at a bare minimum go look up in their dictionary. There's absolutely no need to invent a new term for it, especially if that new term is neither descriptive nor unambiguous.

Is it descriptive? Maybe, if I'm squinting reeeeeeally hard.
Is it unambiguous? Absolutely not. Case in point being that we've spent all afternoon debating this and we're still none the wiser about what it's supposed to actually mean.

By your own standard: Does "blackness" describe something that can't be easily described in simple, already established terms? If yes, then it "furthers the art." If not, then it's BS.

Ergo: It's BS.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #135,866 of 150,439
I've never heard any Eminent Technology speakers, but theyve been on my audition list for a while. Anyone on here familiar with them?
I've heard the LFT-3's and LFT-8's in years past, but have only owned the LFT-11's. The LFT-11's sound excellent when properly set up, but need to have the baffle of the woofer box at the same height and slightly forward of the plane of the panels to integrate within reason. I liked the LFT-3's quite a bit, but (personally) preferred the Apogee presentation back when I was auditioning them all. I haven't heard any of the recent offerings.

Jan 11, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #135,869 of 150,439
Some recent postings caused me to remember my favourite tune by Meja: https://tidal.com/track/490404

Which in turn caused me to think about my favourite album of hers: https://tidal.com/album/242295108

----

On jargon: eventually, some of it settles into terminology. Which can be crucial to furthening the art. A whole lot of the differences we hear and care about do not have clear explanations and clear terminology yet.

There are two considerations I'd like to remind everyone of:
1. There are lots we don't know yet about what makes a hifi system sound good or bad, sound right or wrong, sound convincingly like the real thing or clearly unlike the real thing. We should not, as a whole, stop trying to figure this all out. Therefore it is my opinion that it is not wise of us to mock those who are trying, whether they be ASR or SBAF, no matter how far off the mark they may be. They may find something worth exploring.
2. Many, possibly most, audiophiles have limited opportunities to hear all the stuff that is on the market. Especially true for direct-to-customer stuff like Schiit. We'll take whatever we can get in comparisons of gear. The more gear compared with consistent terminology the better, if the methodology is consistent too then I'm very very grateful!

With that said...

Plankton is apparently a badly chosen word, and no I don't know what it means.

Not perceptible on noisy recordings, good recordings with a non-silent background but extremely low noise can showcase this to some extent but mostly it is the background of an essentially background-less recording. Clearly non-essential to the enjoyment of most recordings but I find it very fun with some music.

And perhaps more or less blackground, even if non-essential to most listening for most listeners, can be indicative or useful information in searching for differences between gear and finding what suits whom. Maybe it can eventually be explained in technical terms or even measured.

----

Finally, "in my opinion" and "in my experience" are to me quite different. Opinions can be debated and discounted, but experiences cannot.
In my experience and opinion jargon is non-sense meant to confuse and mislead others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back