Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 11, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #135,661 of 150,438
I think it really snuck by pretty quickly here, but the Pietus Maximus is quite good. Currently using with Modius E and ZMF Atticus (and Auteur Classic) but have heard BF2 OG with Atriums is great so that will be next.
I’ve been looking for an excuse to get a Bifrost for a while. I think that would be a great match. I just need to rehome a few other items first.

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #135,662 of 150,438
DALI loudspeakers

Hey, it's the guy from the past (still ~128 (!!!!) pages behind)...

Does anybody here enjoy DALI loudspeakers?

I "sold" my Jolida JD3000B tubed pre, one OG Aegir and a pair of OG LS50s to friend's son, for the young'n's use in his college digs (he's a jazz star in the U of M music program). Therefore, I find it necessary to replace my office system.

p.s. believe me, to see Nick's face when he heard that gear was worth 10K the cost of admission, but I digress.

Anyway, the new/replacement stack looks like:

Lenovo i9 -> Cardas Blue USB -> Yggdrasil OG A2 -> balanced -> OG Jotti -> SE -> stereo OG Aegir -> DALI Oberon On-walls

------------------------------

Bought the DALIs on a whim, as "open box/demo", from Audio Advisor; $899 MSRP vs. $530 paid. Of course, they arrived in perfect condition. :)

I have no idea how this small box can hang on the wall with zero toe-in and sound this amazing,

Thoughts? No rush, it's gonna take me a week to get to caught up...

/ds

Jan 11, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #135,663 of 150,438
DALI loudspeakers

I do, driven by Vidar 2.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #135,664 of 150,438
DALI loudspeakers

I "sold" my Jolida JD3000B tubed pre, one OG Aegir and a pair of OG LS50s to friend's son, for the young'n's use in his college digs (he's a jazz star in the U of M music program). Therefore, I find it necessary to replace my office system.

p.s. believe me, to see Nick's face when he heard that gear was worth 10K the cost of admission, but I digress.

Lenovo i9 -> Cardas Blue USB -> Yggdrasil OG A2 -> balanced -> OG Jotti -> SE -> stereo OG Aegir -> DALI Oberon On-walls

Bought the DALIs on a whim, as "open box/demo", from Audio Advisor; $899 MSRP vs. $530 paid. Of course, they arrived in perfect condition. :)

I have no idea how this small box can hang on the wall with zero toe-in and sound this amazing,

/ds
Is Aegir + LS50 as glorious as I have been romanticizing? That or two of them in mono powering R3, I have been wanting for quite some time.

Well, now I have the 2x aegir but am only using one at a time and not powering anything special.. but speaker upgrades are where I should go next, no doubt.

Jan 11, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #135,666 of 150,438
Peter Lyngdorf still funds Lars Risbo and Bruno Putzeys in new developments. Most likely he claims the larger parts of the patents benefits.
The most recent development of this duo is the Cue 100 speakers for which they developed new measurement techniques. The very first box speaker I have ever heard that comes close to an electrostatic. Just close, still not on par. Shame they too go for the max pricing. 20K per set without the speaker cloth that sells for an additional € 750. Sigh.
Beautiful cabinet, ugly legs ...

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #135,668 of 150,438
DALI loudspeakers

/ds
Yes. Dali makes great stuff. I have a pair of Zensor 3 that are doing HT duty with my Arcam AV receiver. It’s a better match than my Monitor Audio RS8 I think.

Also had a phenomenal demo years ago with a Naim Unitique and Mentor Menuets. The old ones from about 12 years ago.

Glad to hear the on walls are good. I’m actually looking for a pair of on-wall speakers for my basement. I will certainly check them out.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #135,670 of 150,438
The Cue does sound pretty good for a Class D powered speaker, but even though they employ AMT tweets (my favored tweeter technology) they are not something I'd want to own.
I also enjoyed AMT tweets (ADAM audio) but settled for a dome tweeter which I prefer overtime, of course it is all about the implementation. Happy long time ATC SCM19 v2 user.

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #135,671 of 150,438
DALI loudspeakers

/ds
yes, I ve the Ikon 1, great little unit. Well build, good sound but remain hungry for bass 🔊

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #135,672 of 150,438
Also, how was cartridge aligned? Aligned at factory? Might want to check alignment as well.
I believe that the Rega Exact cartridge has 3 point fixing so should be pretty much on the nail with alignment - My Rega RB300 arm ( circa first batch , purchased same week as release , early 1980's ) is really touchy on anti skate setting the adjuster is very non-linear increasing out of proportion as it is progressed - this caused similar distortion , - I found the adjuster only needed to be barely engaged on most cartridges

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #135,673 of 150,438
DALI loudspeakers

/ds
I enjoy them a lot, for their dual ribbon/dome tweeter configuration. There is something about the top octave or two that dome tweeters have veeeeery hard time with, according to my ears.

Mentor 2 at my place, Mentor 6 at my parents place, Ikon 7 that was previously at my parents place now at my youngest brothers place, our middle brother for a while had another pair of Mentor 6. And my hi-fi journey was started with a pair of Concept 1 driven by a Denon RCD-M31 as my first sizable own-money purchase at 10 years old.

I've listened more to DALI speakers than all other brands together. I'm not fond of their newer offerings without ribbons though. The old Concept series somehow got away with it to my ears, maybe just because it was my first serious system, maybe it was rolled off enough to not be a nuisance in the top octave. In general those speakers were easy to listen to, commiting many sins of omission but none of commission, they never seemed to do anything wrong - they were just limited. Very agreeable.

Nowadays it seems that presenting a lot of treble detail has been deemed more important than doing it right. Supplementing the domes with a ribbon still works wonders to achieve both. To my ears, in many rooms, with various Denon and Nad amplifiers mostly. Spanning more than 20 years. No Schiit amplification for mine yet, but a Gjallarhorn and eventually more is most likely in my future.

One of my hi-fi dreams is to spend some quality time listening to Megaline. I've never heard or seen them, but I've met some people who have. It's different in a whole other way than most non-standard speakers: it's a floor to ceiling line source.

https://dali.web01.prod.illumi.dk/nl/discontinued/megaline/

Jan 11, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #135,674 of 150,438
My favorite comment about U2 came from Henry Rollins who said they had the world's worst rhythm section backing up a cabaret singer and a one-trick pony. :)
On behalf of Mr. Bono: “I’m actually starting to like more and more people who have convictions that are unpopular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back