Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:01 PM Post #135,271 of 150,451
Growing up (well, sort of) in a state without a pro football team at the time, I never really "got" the territorial football DNA thing until I lived in WI. You could sit at a bar and make a serious slag about the Packers, and people would just smile and chuckle as they'd honestly assume you were kidding. :smile:
The great thing about living in WI is the best time to goto any store is during a Packer game.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #135,273 of 150,451
I've owned Apple gear but see no reason to ever do so again. They constrain my ability to customize at every opportunity and their touch screens have a serious dislike of my fingers, so I stay away. I build my own PCs and see no reason to pay Apple more to make one that I can't make run the way I want. And I hated the one IPhone I owned and switched to Android and will never go back. At the same time, I don't think anyone else is doing much better than Apple, it is just that they don't prevent my taking control of my own device to the same degree and so they win out for that reason alone.

Now, back to the syne wave - good to hear that the Lyr still holds its own. I love mine and so far have not seen any reason to change since it gives me both headphone listening and works great as a preamp to my Aegir (which also isn't going anywhere). I didn't notice enough difference between the MM2 and the Bifrost to make me spend twice as much but I am fearful of listening to a Yggy since I don't want to spend that much money and I don't have room for it anyway. I AM amazed at how good the MM2 sounds though so I don't feel a lot of pressure to move up the line.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #135,274 of 150,451
All BBQ taste the same. I have microwaved cables, dacs, and amps. They all smell the same. See, I have also been paying attention and now I will have to pay dearly for posting about BBQ.
"All BBQ taste the same" will result in a thermonuclear event ignited by many on this thread. If you cannot differentiate between Texas, Carolina, or Tennessee style BBQ [among others}, there is a good possibility that you are dead but have not realized it yet.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #135,275 of 150,451
All BBQ taste the same. I have microwaved cables, dacs, and amps. They all smell the same. See, I have also been paying attention and now I will have to pay dearly for posting about BBQ.
Only if you make the poor decision to eat NC BBQ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #135,276 of 150,451
...If you cannot differentiate between Texas, Carolina, or Tennessee style BBQ [among others}, there is a good possibility that you are dead by virtue of contract hit sanctioned by the BBQ Cartel.
FTFY. :wink:

Fun Fact: Eating NC BBQ is considered attempted suicide in 49 states.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #135,277 of 150,451
The same thing they're always buying, an overpriced pain in the butt gadget.
I think if you're using your butt to control your phone, you're using it wrong. Just a thought.

Jan 7, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #135,278 of 150,451
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #135,280 of 150,451
There's a spectrum here, from the defensive artist to groupthink. Staying in that happy medium is a challenge for every engineering team.
The defensive artist is loudly sticking to their guns. Groupthink is the opposite problem, people quietly bowing down.

But both of those are equally on the same wrong end of the spectrum of what I'm speaking of: how facts-based and open and non-judging of a discussion climate there is in the group. How true it is and how secure people are in that they will not be judged for their thoughts and ideas, that said thoughts and ideas will be allowed to shine if they are good and not allowed to stick around if they are not good. Centrally and crucially, that survival of the fittest applies to thoughts and ideas, not to the people voicing them.

It is far, far easier to voice any idea or feedback or concern when this works. You can get even the most shy people to contribute. Because when this is done right, all consequences of anything brought to the table, be it right or wrong or whatever, are only good - for both the team and the individuals. There isn't a personality that ends up holding stuff back in such a climate. The quiet ones will speak up and the stubborn ones will be talked down. It's beautiful!

This post may have been a bit less factual, a bit more opinion, than my previous posts on the topic. I'm not sure, it's past midnight and I need to sleep. It's good to see that at least a few are enjoying this discussion! I think it may be reasonably well-known and recognized in engineering departments of large companies, but it may be underrated and underestimated as a part of engineering degrees taught at universities. And maybe straight-up overlooked and unknown outside of engineering and medical.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #135,281 of 150,451
The pots? Each headphone amp has its own pot, the SagaS pot for the GJ, the SN2 is integrated with its own pot.

Edit: realized I had a pic showing the volume controls minus the controller who left their drink on the floor. Green dot is the pot of the SN2

IMG_5996.jpeg
I like your speaker stands.

Or, maybe I like the acoustic dampers on top or your speakers.

The Browns. I need you all to think positive thoughts about the Browns. I'm hoping for either a Eagles/Browns superbowl or a Eagles/Raven one (where the Eagles totally and completely destroy the Ravens....)
wc1756029.jpg
P.S. Apologize the the football talk.
Actually, being a Browns fan is kind of like being religious: you have to have faith without any proof you'll enter paradise.

"All BBQ taste the same" will result in a thermonuclear event ignited by many on this thread. If you cannot differentiate between Texas, Carolina, or Tennessee style BBQ [among others}, there is a good possibility that you are dead but have not realized it yet.

Actually, eating NC BBQ is known to cause BBQ Non-distinction Syndrome. Mircowaving your taste buds has the same effect. Both are tragic.

Jan 7, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #135,283 of 150,451
Fun Fact: Eating NC BBQ is considered attempted suicide in 49 states.
Another Fun Fact: if you are watching calories, Texas BBQ is available in pill form. :smile:

1704681872048.png

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #135,285 of 150,451
Exactly. All true audiophools know that it's the fuse that has the maximum impact on sound quality.
Finally. A voice of reason around here. I was beginning to get concerned. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back