Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 5, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #135,061 of 149,450
Comment: the use of a split interconnect affects amp loading.

Fair enough. Maybe I should have mentioned that when I was first alternating A vs B in stereo I was using a single pair of RCA connectors and switching them along with the speaker cables, for that reason, to be proper and all. But after about 30 min of tugging on connectors I got lazy. FWIW, my impressions were similar at the beginning, just not as well honed as by the end. If I ever did this again in the future, I would still do the dual mono thing, and then maybe confirm with a few proper swaps. It's very helpful to be comparing audio memories from seconds, not minutes, ago.

The amp loading issue seems like maybe a non-issue, within reasonable limits. I've used this Bifrost for several years straight, and, depending on the amp I'm using, it may see 20-100 kOhm input impedance when sent to a single destination. The SN2 input impedance is about 50 kOhm, the Saga 10-15, the GJ about 20. It's been a long time since I had any physics, but if impedance behaves like resistance, I think I'm effectively presenting about 15-20 kOhm input impedance to the Bifrost, about as if I were sending the signal to my 20 kOhm Asgard alone. Pease correct me if I'm wrong.

One other thing is just empirically, for years now, I've often left my Bifrost RCA output connected in parallel to 3 or 4 destinations, just powering on what I want to use at any given time. For speakers that's only ever a single destination. But several times a month my family has 2 or 3 head amps running at once. None of us have ever noticed something off and nothing has caught on fire yet =). That is typically 100+100, 100+50 or 100+50+20 kOhm loads. The point being that the Bifrost seems tolerant to these kinds of situations.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #135,062 of 149,450
Would you care to describe what you foresaw as the superpowers possessed by Cardboard Man!
Able to slide under doors unencumbered!
Able to protect any and all LPs from the ravages of dust and fingerprints!
Able to hold over N vacuum tubes in a single box!

I imagine your arch-nemesis would be Origami Guy.

Let's hope Cardboard Man is a superhero and not a supervillain. Otherwise, he could disrupt the nation's economy. No cardboard, no Amazon.

OMG!!! No Schiit, either!!!

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #135,063 of 149,450
Let's hope Cardboard Man is a superhero and not a supervillain. Otherwise, he could disrupt the nation's economy. No cardboard, no Amazon.

OMG!!! No Schiit, either!!!
End of cats, too ;-( (crocodile tears in my case...)

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #135,064 of 149,450
Fair enough. Maybe I should have mentioned that when I was first alternating A vs B in stereo I was using a single pair of RCA connectors and switching them along with the speaker cables, for that reason, to be proper and all. But after about 30 min of tugging on connectors I got lazy. FWIW, my impressions were similar at the beginning, just not as well honed as by the end. If I ever did this again in the future, I would still do the dual mono thing, and then maybe confirm with a few proper swaps. It's very helpful to be comparing audio memories from seconds, not minutes, ago.

The amp loading issue seems like maybe a non-issue, within reasonable limits. I've used this Bifrost for several years straight, and, depending on the amp I'm using, it may see 20-100 kOhm input impedance when sent to a single destination. The SN2 input impedance is about 50 kOhm, the Saga 10-15, the GJ about 20. It's been a long time since I had any physics, but if impedance behaves like resistance, I think I'm effectively presenting about 15-20 kOhm input impedance to the Bifrost, about as if I were sending the signal to my 20 kOhm Asgard alone. Pease correct me if I'm wrong.

One other thing is just empirically, for years now, I've often left my Bifrost RCA output connected in parallel to 3 or 4 destinations, just powering on what I want to use at any given time. For speakers that's only ever a single destination. But several times a month my family has 2 or 3 head amps running at once. None of us have ever noticed something off and nothing has caught on fire yet =). That is typically 100+100, 100+50 or 100+50+20 kOhm loads. The point being that the Bifrost seems tolerant to these kinds of situations.
Where’s your volume control?

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #135,065 of 149,450
But… the world needs more people to learn advanced math. The lack of precise logical thinking is why there are so many misinformed people incapable of logically reasoning for themselves. In my opinion.
What is especially funny is that I changed my major to Philosophy and studied German Metaphysics for the next 5 years. And there was plenty of symbolic logic in there. And I make a living as a programmer so I certainly understand how to logically reason, just not calculate.

Jan 5, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #135,066 of 149,450
Would you care to describe what you foresaw as the superpowers possessed by Cardboard Man!

Sure. For starters, I excel at cover-up (which gives me limitless employment opportunities in Washington, DC), I eat paper for breakfast, and I can easily transform into an infinite number of shapes and sizes. Who needs invisibility when you can hide in plain sight?

I imagine your arch-nemesis would be Origami Guy.

Actually, Johnny Storm is my worst enemy. That guy really burns me up. :laughing:

1704498366760.png

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #135,067 of 149,450
What is especially funny is that I changed my major to Philosophy and studied German Metaphysics for the next 5 years. And there was plenty of symbolic logic in there. And I make a living as a programmer so I certainly understand how to logically reason, just not calculate.
This. For many programmers, calc isn't crucial. You mainly think discretely as a programmer anyway.

Calc has been used as a weeding out tool in CS for some time but that's slowly changing. They dropped the Diff EQ requirement in the CS program I was in, so I was good w just calc 1 & 2.

To me calc is less about logic and more about abstract thinking, though logical thinking can help in calc. And unfortunately the way it's often taught is something along the lines of:

"Here are some algorithms for solving certain problems that some people came up with. Memorize them like a good little robot, or fit what you can of them on a notecard, pass the exams, and then promptly forget them if you don't use them regularly."

Philosophy is actually a great way to learn to think rationally. Studying it has probably made me a better programmer.

Jan 5, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #135,068 of 149,450
My view on how to decontent Saga S is probably not very useful, because I bought one and the problem seems to be that there aren't enough buyers like me. I found the price to be right, I use both output modes and all of the control features it has, and the only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is a front panel mute button.

But, I suppose if I were going to list off things in the order I'd accept them being removed, the first to go would be remote control. This is probably wildly out of step with the market, and is just because I sit close enough to it to use the front panel. Next to go would be the relay volume, which would be sad, but a 27 mm pot would also be good enough. After that I would give up the JFET buffer.

The last thing to go would be any of the inputs or outputs. The back panel on mine is completely populated, and even has some splitters on one of the outputs. At four inputs I could probably make it work, but at three I'd have to look for something else instead.
I purchased a saga s when Jason announced they would be going away. Haven't hooked it up yet. It was purchased in case my current 30 yr old preamp develops problems. Current preamp has 7 inputs and at one time they were all in use. I agree that the inputs are also desireable to me. I'm not sure if I'll repair my cassette deck or hook up any other old gear, but it's nice to have the option. I have Urd for extra digital sources :). I'm wanting to compare sound between saga s and the old preamp soon. The reason I haven't yet, is that I really like the tone controls on the nakamichi (mostly on poor recordings). I'm not using them much with Urd (to modi 3) and the trys added though. Thinking I might have get an eq sometime (sorry wallet).

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #135,069 of 149,450
Philosophy is actually a great way to learn to think rationally.
Blaise Pascal and Thomas Aquinas called, they want you to know that you should never let yourself be distracted by such banalities as rational thought when bending over backwards to have your arguments fit a certain predetermined conclusion.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #135,071 of 149,450
Even only using one hand around high voltage tube gear requires caution. The first attempt at building a tube amp with my own layout taught me a few lessons. One of which was being wary of 400 volt connections and proximity to the grounded chassis. My left pinky inadvertently bridged these two points and was pissed at me the rest of the day.🤬
Back in the 70's while in college I had a part-time job in a TV repair shop. One day an old, old tv got dropped off for repair. Boss said check it out. I blew out decades of dust and started looking around with a flashlight. Head shop tech said move over rookie and grabbed a screwdriver and started poking around. I asked if there was a schematic and he said he didn't need one. That was about 30 seconds before he found a capacitor that decided it was time to discharge. I can still hear that gigantic pop and saw him literally flying backwards. He got the rest of the day off. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #135,072 of 149,450
Blaise Pascal and Thomas Aquinas called, they want you to know that you should never let yourself be distracted by such banalities as rational thought when bending over backwards to have your arguments fit a certain predetermined conclusion.
But people are rational.
They do what they want, then they rationalize it.

Jan 5, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #135,074 of 149,450
So if you like this type of music (Jazz, World Music), this is a fantastic album. I've seen Jonathan Butler in a small venue like Jazz Alley in Seattle, and an outdoor concert at Ste. Michelle Winery in Woodinville, WA. Playing this for the last 8 months my wife and I can't get enough of this album. Streaming on Qobuz, CD on URD. It doesn't disappoint, me. Dual Vidars from Freya S to Maggi LRSs. Priceless. I have pathways through digital volume controls, and others totally analogue. Fantastic either way...Happy New Year.
Jonathan Butler Ubuntu.jpg

https://open.qobuz.com/album/kvy2a0bdr9n6b

Users who are viewing this thread

Back