Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #134,912 of 150,539
When I first dumped Squeeze server and installed Roon it identified hundreds of old MP3 files that were lurking on my drives from many years ago. I had forgotten they existed. All gone now!
I still have MP3 files; I load them into my car's system. A Mustang GT w/ modified exhaust, ya can't tell the difference!

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #134,913 of 150,539
Roon ROCK. So much better than Roon server running on Mac. No more disappearing endpoints. No more skipping tracks because they were loading slowly.

You're clearly tech saavy. I went Roon on my NAS and never looked back.

Second that!

I installed ROCK on an old Core i5 Lenovo mini computer I had here and all my Roon problems went away.

I've also had zero problems using Raspberry Pis running RoPieee to connect to Roon endpoints.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #134,914 of 150,539
Well, see, that's the thing with cats. Most servants work in a dwelling that is owned and paid for by their employer. Cats have figured out how to make us pay for their dwelling while serving them. And some people still think cats are dumb. 🤣
That's called a monarchy. A time honored tradition...

At least the cats don't make you bow, I just do it to stretch my back. :sunglasses:

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #134,915 of 150,539
I have Roon installed on a headless 4-core i5 Dell running a stripped down Win10 and Fidelizer Pro to disable or minimize (set to lower priority) additional services not related to audio, etc., and to dedicate only 1 core to non-audio processes. I have an 8TB USB external drive housing all my local ripped music (FLAC) connected to the Dell Roon server. I have a full copy replicated to another 8TB HDD using a Robocopy and backup that local copy to cloud storage.

Never had any issues with using my stripped/optimized Win10 Roon server -- even using Wi-Fi exclusively for connection to the router and home network. All this feeds two RopieeeXL Roon, Spotify Connect, and Airplay RPi-based endpoints controlled by an Android Phone w/ the Roon Remote app. (I was using an iPad, but had too many little annoying issues.) This setup has proven flawless for my use-case scenario.**

Love Roon and to me it is worth it. AFAIK, there is nothing better at blending local and streamed music under one interface and treating it all as part of your library and as part of music discovery/recommendation engine. To each their own, but to discount/disparage a product just because it does not meet your preferred use criteria does not mean that 1) the product is flawed, or 2) its subscribers/users are suckers. :rolling_eyes:

** I'd like to try ROCK on a NUC system, but since mine has been problem free, I am really hesitant.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #134,916 of 150,539
Jan 4, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #134,917 of 150,539
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #134,918 of 150,539
Hey all,

A quick note: Saga S is done. As in, we have a few left, but they'll be moving to closeout. Look for them there in a day or two if you want one. Saga+ stays as-is.

As far as the future of Saga goes, we've had a lot of input. Some people want a simple passive pot-in-a-box affair, but that really wouldn't end up being much cheaper, mainly due to metal cost increases. Unless we go to Midgard style metal. The current transformer of the Saga series has also gotten quite pricey, so that's another limitation on the price. Physical size is also a limitation on how much I/O we can do if we're doing balanced. I'm not sure the world is ready for Pentaconn interconnects, and balanced means balanced relay ladder, and much higher cost, in any case.

As always, I'm open to ideas about the future...keep it, change it, kill it, etc.

Aegir 2 I'm hoping we get out soon, but it's been a heck of a time here in Valencia, with much of production out sick through the holidays.

Next up: a chapter on Feedback: Good Bad and Ugly, as promised. Next week probably. I hope. If prototypes behave.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 4, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #134,919 of 150,539
Next week probably. I hope. If prototypes behave.
Cut to…

1704392944040.png

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #134,920 of 150,539
I have Roon installed on a headless 4-core i5 Dell running a stripped down Win10 and Fidelizer Pro to disable or minimize (set to lower priority) additional services not related to audio, etc., and to dedicate only 1 core to non-audio processes. I have an 8TB USB external drive housing all my local ripped music (FLAC) connected to the Dell Roon server. I have a full copy replicated to another 8TB HDD using a Robocopy and backup that local copy to cloud storage. Never had any issues with using my stripped/optimized Win10 Roon server -- even using Wi-Fi exclusively for connection to the router and home network. All this feeds two RopieeeXL Roon, Spotify Connect , and Airplay endpoints controlled by an Android Phone. (I was using an iPad, but had too many little annoying issues.) This setup has proven flawless for my use-case scenario. **

Love Roon and to me it is worth it. There is nothing better AFAIK at blending local and streamed music under one interface and treating it all as part of your library and as part of music discovery/recommendation engine. To each their own, but to discount a product just because it does not meet your preferred use criteria does not mean that 1) product is flawed, or 2) its subscribers/users are foolish or suckers. :rolling_eyes:

** I'd like to try ROCK on a NUC system, but since mine has been problem free, I am really hesitant.
If it ain't broke don't fix it, but getting rid of Widows or MacOS and going with an OS designed specifically to support audio eliminated every problem I was previously having with my network music system.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #134,921 of 150,539
Some people want a simple passive pot-in-a-box affair, but that really wouldn't end up being much cheaper, mainly due to metal cost increases. Unless we go to Midgard style metal.
Is there any reason not to go to Midgard style metal? For a fully passive, "balanced Sys", I thought that was a given.

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #134,923 of 150,539
Me, just now:
Yikes, those Teslas sound like complete flabby ass into the Noirs.

Me, two seconds later:
Oh, the impedance multiplier isn't on…

1704397274101.gif

(Forgive me for breaking my own rule and posting an animated GIF. But I feel so dumb right now, I think this is warranted.)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #134,924 of 150,539
Looking for an album to fill out the new LP collection? Did you forget John Prine's John Prine? I did.

The pressing at A is absolutely pristine. Silent clear vinyl, quiet as a CD. The mix is balanced with Prine's voice and guitar beautifully supported by the supporting musicians.

How can Trump exist with music like this?

Jan 4, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #134,925 of 150,539
As always, I'm open to ideas about the future...keep it, change it, kill it, etc.
Personally, I see two ways Saga could go.

The first is to optimize around its current primary use case. Saga’s killer feature is the remote controlled relay-switched attenuator. I bet a lot of people are essentially just looking at it as a way to add high quality remote-controlled volume control between their DAC and power amp. So as Jason suggested, maybe move it down to a Midgard chassis, make it a 3 input 2 output single ended device. How successful this is essentially boils down to how much lower the price goes vs the old version.

Saga could also go in the direction of Magni and un-stack - or become a 2-channel Syn. Put a DAC and remote controlled potentiometer in one box, with just one or two analog inputs for people with a turntable. If the DAC was modular that would be icing on the cake, as it would drastically reduce the obsolescence issue. However, this would probably require a multi-input DAC board since USB and Optical/Coax would be essential in my mind. But even if it went fully integrated like Syn, without a modular board, I could see it being worthwhile. This incarnation of Saga (which would probably merit a new name) would exist to essentially lower the price of entry into a (remote controlled) 2-channel system. Plus it would stack with Gjallarhorn and I imagine offer some pretty outstanding value when paired with efficient speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back