Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 4, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #134,897 of 150,446
Kara silver 230V is in the house.
No impressions yet in comparison with (or to, not sure what is correct) Freya-S, but the clickety click click click surely sounds and feels different.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #134,898 of 150,446
The core has mostly been reliable for me on macOS, at least the standalone one without the UI. The rest of Roon, though, not so much.

Some of the issues I keep having with Roon are the same Mono/.net/C# issues you have on all platforms (like it being the outrageous memory hog that it is, constant crashes on mobile devices, or the fact that the UI doesn't act, look, or feel native to the environment it's running on). Others are just bad design decisions on Roon Labs' end, like the fact that ARC almost never actually works, and when it does, it doesn't do so for very long.

And yes, they keep having regression problems, which is just … sad.

Today's issue: The Roon client on my workstation refuses to recognize any and all DACs connected to that workstation. macOS recognizes them, other applications (like the Qobuz app) recognize them, just not Roon. I've had the same issue a few weeks ago and tracked it down to another USB device that was connected to the machine at the same time, but that device isn't connected today. Even if I unplug everything but the Gungnir MB and reboot the entire machine and every and all Roon instances on my network, it still doesn't want to recognize any DAC locally connected via USB.
But just on that one machine, others work fine.
I think this clearly articulate why Schiit want to stay away from "software" stuffs :)

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #134,899 of 150,446
Kara silver 230V is in the house.
No impressions yet in compareson with (or to, not sure what is correct) Freya-S, but the clickety click click click surely sounds and feels different.
"in comparison with" would be correct here. "to" is correct in another usage, when saying that there are similarities. https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/compare

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #134,900 of 150,446
Which small desktop powered, non-BT, speakers do you recommend?
I have some KEF LS-X and they are small, powered and generally excellent. I don't use on the desktop anymore, they are connected to the TV in the living area.
And, bonus, my wife loves them as they are a Spotify Connect end-point, so when I'm not around she can easily play her stuff.

Jan 4, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #134,902 of 150,446
I was skeptical about the Pentaconn connector, too. Many Head-fiers who commute to work liked them initially simply because they are physically stronger than 3.5mm and 2.5mm connectors. Important when someone on a train or a bus snags your head phone/ IEM cable on the way by. With five conductors, it also provides an independent ground connection, which eliminates hum in some balanced head phone/ DAP combinations. My A&K AK70 Mk II had that problem. I had to have a custom cable made.

As for balanced vs. single ended for head phones in general: I noticed an obvious improvement with a pair of ZMF Atticus when I used a balanced cable. The sound was fuller and more stable. It wasn't just the extra output, I preferred the balanced cable even at low levels. I never noticed any differences with IEMs. My other full-size head phones all have balanced cables. To match my Mjolnir I.

Perhaps build a pier close to your back door in your yard and run power through some buried conduit to the pier. Then mount the largest scope you can easily handle on it. Cover it with a Tele Gizmos 365 cover. Bring your gear in when truly ugly weather (e.g. hail) is forecast. If you have a camera and want to set up some personal EAA so you can observe from your living room, run an ethernet cable to your pier. Include a USB-ethernet box if you have to.

The next cheapest idea: motel-o-scope. But since you mostly have refractors, that might not be practical: the "motel" part might be to cumbersome to be convenient.

With four of us here I wonder if we'll get a place on the Sine Wave?
5 at last count!

Good ideas for a semi-permanent setup. When we retire to our dark sky site I plan on setting up an automated SkyShed Pod for imaging.

Jan 4, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #134,903 of 150,446
I’ve had this bottle for a few years.
IMG_4287.jpegIMG_4286.jpeg
Headin' for Costco NOW. They do not let you peruse the hard liquor online. Probably not in stock because of those in the know, but a quick trip for me to check. Thanks for pic. I've been nursing a bottle of BT since 2019.

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #134,904 of 150,446
@Jason Stoddard how do you feel about the used market? Do you think it helps the company by spreading awareness and showcasing product lifespan or hurts by robbing sales? Does schiit's warranty policy change for second owners like ZMF's?

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #134,905 of 150,446
Perhaps build a pier close to your back door in your yard and run power through some buried conduit to the pier. Then mount the largest scope you can easily handle on it. Cover it with a Tele Gizmos 365 cover. Bring your gear in when truly ugly weather (e.g. hail) is forecast. If you have a camera and want to set up some personal EAA so you can observe from your living room, run an ethernet cable to your pier. Include a USB-ethernet box if you have to.

The next cheapest idea: motel-o-scope. But since you mostly have refractors, that might not be practical: the "motel" part might be to cumbersome to be convenient.

With four of us here I wonder if we'll get a place on the Sine Wave?
This is likely the route I’m going. I still have my steel pier (nicely painted/finished, with in-built electrical outlets, etc) that I removed from my last observatory (a Backyard Observatories-built 10x12 roll off with a 4x10 warm room and 8x10 scope area. I had my AP130 and C11 side-by-side mounted. The AP and motorized focuser/field flattener/camera all mounted up is LONG, the C11 significantly shorter.

I’ve scoped out where in the yard, and plan to pour a pier. I don’t want to go the TeleGizmos route because it isn’t “permanent” enough. So likely will build some kinda miniature roll-off shed-type structure. Other projects come first: finishing the wine cellar build in the basement, moving my power conditioning and power amp to the basement, re-configuring the stereo so front end componentry is at listening end, 2 more rooms in the house to paint. THEN I can get to it…

The thought of installing/removing cameras and cabling and such like in the cold with my new arthritis-afflicted fingers doesn’t appeal. My gear did just fine in that unheated “shed” permanently setup for 11 years after all. And it’s still the same gear. TeleGizmos is for “short/mid-term” from my, and friends, experience.

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #134,906 of 150,446
I think this clearly articulate why Schiit want to stay away from "software" stuffs :)
I shall never become a Roonatic. I do not require help hitting the "Play" or "Random Play" button. 'Tis naught but Roonacy. Sheer and udder Roonacy.

Am I a Schitizen? Yes! Because quality can be had without the buyer being had.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #134,907 of 150,446
@sixergixer,

Thanks for your input. Total Wine and Spirts have this one on sale for $39.99. Will try it tonight and report back.

Leo
1704380850085.jpeg

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #134,908 of 150,446
There used to be four cats who ruled the house I thought I owned, so I am somewhat of an abuse survivor.
How the hell do you get a photo to come out right?
Well, see, that's the thing with cats. Most servants work in a dwelling that is owned and paid for by their employer. Cats have figured out how to make us pay for their dwelling while serving them. And some people still think cats are dumb. 🤣

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #134,909 of 150,446
Sounds good, but what about the client? A music library needs to be browsed, if you ask me. Both from my phone and from my desktop.

And the latter needs to work quite differently from the former! If you don't give me table view where I can choose which columns to display, and easily sort and filter by every viewed column, you haven't really created a desktop app. In My Experienced Opinion. No idea whether Roon fails to do that, but Spotify and Tidal sure do, among many others.
I've just started using Roon. My digitized music resides in four places: an 8 TB drive connected to my main computer, on my NAS, on a 5 TB portable USB drive and on a 4 TB portable SSD. I manually update the drives' contents whenever I acquire new music. The 8 TB is also the repository for all my other files, so it's my "data" drive. I listen to the music on the data drive through my desktop setup - Jot 2 / Lokius / BF 2/64. The SSD is used at work. I pretty much use Roon to push music through my network to a HiFiBerry Digi2 Pro which then goes to a BF 2 / MJ3 or FV at my more relaxed listening spot.

I could use Roon to play any of the music from either my NAS or my computer to either the computer or the HiFiBerry but I don't need the complexity of Roon on the computer and Foobar works just fine. When I got the hardware all plugged in, I was very pleasantly surprised to see Roon finding everything and playing it where I wanted it to go. As a perk, Roon goes out to Qobuz to play music that either I don't have or new artists I want to explore. While I can do that directly from the computer, sometimes I want to do that from the recliner, using my Fire tablet to control Roon. I could use my phone for that as well, but I like the large screen of the Fire.

Yeah, it's an overly expensive and complicated way of doing things, but it hasn't caused me grief (yet) allowing me to deal with the grief being generated by the rest of the technology in my apartment.

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #134,910 of 150,446
When I first dumped Squeeze server and installed Roon it identified hundreds of old MP3 files that were lurking on my drives from many years ago. I had forgotten they existed. All gone now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back