Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #134,821 of 150,455
Has anyone had the chance to demo or compare the Jot2 to much more expensive amplifiers? How does the Jot2 hold up? :thinking:

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #134,822 of 150,455
Roon ROCK. So much better than Roon server running on Mac. No more disappearing endpoints. No more skipping tracks because they were loading slowly.

You're clearly tech saavy. I went Roon on my NAS and never looked back.
Sounds good, but what about the client? A music library needs to be browsed, if you ask me. Both from my phone and from my desktop.

And the latter needs to work quite differently from the former! If you don't give me table view where I can choose which columns to display, and easily sort and filter by every viewed column, you haven't really created a desktop app. In My Experienced Opinion. No idea whether Roon fails to do that, but Spotify and Tidal sure do, among many others.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #134,823 of 150,455
Has anyone had the chance to demo or compare the Jot2 to much more expensive amplifiers? How does the Jot2 hold up? :thinking:
IME reading impressions across various sites, seems Jot2 is somewhat a red-headed step-child, hahaha. Maybe it's my impressions that are wrong, however. I just get the sense it isn't a beloved piece of gear. FWIW, I own one (bought a silver one with 9028 DAC card last march; first non-portable electonics I bought in well over a decade), as well as a BF 2/64 (purchased in August). I am not left wanting, but then again, I'm not much of a hobbyist and am not comparing it against other gear.

I might jump on the MJ3 train, but my usage would have to increase dramatically to justify putting more $ into gear.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #134,825 of 150,455
No, it was my nickname in the Marines.
I knew a guy we called Corndog in the Navy. He was called that mainly because he looked like one at about 6'5", bald, and 115 lbs. He may also have had a stick up his backside... :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #134,826 of 150,455
Does anyone know the timing of the Schiit Aegir 2 launch? Looking forward to a class A (like) amp with a little more power to pair with my Freya+.
Only time-travellers and higher beings and such. Refer to Jason's law, or Murphy's.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #134,827 of 150,455
So Roon… know little about it but think it’s some sort of LAN-based audio stores’ manager, including network streams. People like it because it has some sort of track liners’ database. People pay for network stream subscriptions and then pay Roon another subscription to manage that. I say… no!
It's not for everyone, but don't knock something you have no experience with. :)

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #134,830 of 150,455
Score one for Windows. 😏
Microsoft: "HOORAY!" We didn't suck as bad THIS time!"

To be fair, My Mac Studio Max's Bluetooth issues are so frequent that I keep an old Microsoft mouse plugged in, just in case, and for spite.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #134,831 of 150,455
Sounds good, but what about the client? A music library needs to be browsed, if you ask me. Both from my phone and from my desktop.

And the latter needs to work quite differently from the former! If you don't give me table view where I can choose which columns to display, and easily sort and filter by every viewed column, you haven't really created a desktop app. In My Experienced Opinion. No idea whether Roon fails to do that, but Spotify and Tidal sure do, among many others.

I don't generally have issues with any device as a client because 99% of the time I'm just using it as a remote. All my DACs are using Roon or UPnP endpoints. I'll say iOS is generally the most buggy.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #134,832 of 150,455
Not really. But I guess Microsoft needs the win, so be my guest and have at it.

Edit:
Scratch that, I take it back. Apart from some completely idiotic design decisions Roon Labs has made and everybody's now stuck with, the thing that keeps on causing the most issues has nothing to do with macOS itself, but the fact that Roon is written around Mono/.net, which are Microsoft "technologies." So, no. Microsoft doesn't deserve that win.
Do you mean the server (core)? Or all aspects of Roon on mac?

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #134,833 of 150,455
Roon ROCK. So much better than Roon server running on Mac. No more disappearing endpoints. No more skipping tracks because they were loading slowly.

You're clearly tech saavy. I went Roon on my NAS and never looked back.
I wouldn't go that far! ROCK has been reliable on a NUC, but I still do get some of those issues.

Actually, Roon seems to have regressed of late on both iPhone and Pi endpoints - all seems to be server relatded.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #134,834 of 150,455
Microsoft: "HOORAY!" We didn't suck as bad THIS time!"

To be fair, My Mac Studio Max's Bluetooth issues are so frequent that I keep an old Microsoft mouse plugged in, just in case, and for spite.
I've only had one issue on the studio and that was a dickhead move. I plugged my Macbook BT mouse into the Studio to charge it. The studio took over that mouse and would release it. So I turned BT off on the Studio - duhhhhhhhhhh

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #134,835 of 150,455
I've only had one issue on the studio and that was a dickhead move. I plugged my Macbook BT mouse into the Studio to charge it. The studio took over that mouse and would release it. So I turned BT off on the Studio - duhhhhhhhhhh

Yeah, the fix is to remove and reset all mice and reconnect and do not move BT devices between computers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back