Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 3, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #134,791 of 150,459
12254916.jpg

I endured this over the holiday, can't wait to listen with my eyes open again.....
It's too late. Now you can't unsee it.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #134,792 of 150,459
from....now?

:beerchug:
JC
From really really close to when I hit post reply, yes. In my local timezone (CET) so a few hours more for America. I ended up less than 10 seconds off IIRC, don't remember which way. Could probably work it out from logs but that seems... excessive.

I get time in seconds from now to the beginning of february, or any other time, by typing the following into a terminal (most often Termux on my phone):
Bash:
calc $(date -d "20240201" +%s) - $(date +%s)
This requires the program calc because I have not yet replaced bash with something I would actually remember how to do math in.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #134,793 of 150,459
All true, but what I was talking about wasn't replacing existing parts with "better" ones, but to have the option to add and remove resistors and caps to and from your signal path at will to shape the sound you get. It's a bit like an extra EQ step in the case of the caps and an extra kinda-sorta-attenuation-but-also-EQ-ish-thingamabobbin in the case of the resistors.
Sure, the job of the caps can be done by a Loki(us), but the output resistors are really very neat, because they change how the amp reacts to the load that is connected to it. The outcome is mostly unpredictable and entirely dependent on the specific pair of headphones that are connected.

In case someone wants to check out what the hell I'm on about:
Post #7 in a thread titled "Review and Measurements of Project Polaris HP Amp" on a certain forum where our objectivist colleagues discuss reviews measurements of audio gear is from the designer of this amp which also includes a download link to that amp's schematics. C10 and C11 are for that "bandwidth" (i.e. treble roll-off EQ) thing, and R7 and R8 for the kinda-sorta-attenuation-but-also-EQ-ish-thingamabobbin output resistor thing.

Impressive memory! I don't think I've mentioned my ribbon headphones in well over a year…

Anyway…
They're (supposedly) 0.2 ohm or something crazy low like that. That's just a blond one removed from a straight wire. These things drive even my Jotunheim R into clipping. No bueno.
So I really don't feel comfortable plugging them directly into my Mjolnir 3. Do I want to trust its overcurrent protection circuit just for this one test? Probably not. Maybe if Jason officially states that it's safe to try. Maybe. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Plus, that particular Mjolnir is currently on loan with @JamminVMI for at least another month anyway, so I couldn't actually test this right now even if I wanted to.
Sorry!

I have tried the ribbons with my Tyrs, though. WITH their impedance box thing, of course, not directly wired into the Tyrs. Sounded pretty darn satisfying to me.
Thank you so much for your input with these. The GL1200s are my all time favorite headphones still. I never got any clipping when i plugged them into my Jot R. Strange you have thst issue. My umderstanding is that ribbons arent meant to play at ear deafening levels. The ribbons themselves may start to warp. Ive seen a user end up with slightly floppy ribbons as a result. Mine remained quite straight well after a year, but i dont listen super loud. I suspect the mj3 would drive ribbons headphones just perfectly. Im almost tempted to try it out for myself.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #134,794 of 150,459
FWIW, having spent a small bit of time at Sazerac’s distillery, and a smaller bit of time in the room where they make single barrel decisions (and picked a few), the Single Barrel version of Buf Trace is Eagle Rare. But I go for the Old Charter these days in that line when BT goes stupid expensive. Best $15 bottle you can buy, especially if it’s a dusty that is still the actual 8 year old (bottled before 2014).

The Weller mash bill is Pappy and I ran a bar twenty years or so ago now, where the base Weller was my well. It was $17 a liter, wholesale.

And if you like Blanton’s, seek out some Ancient Age for the value brand equivalent…before Bourbon (and Sazerac brands in particular) got stupid, the Elmer Lee and Rock Hill Farms were, for my money, better than Blanton’s at a better price point, but are now also stupid expensive/rare.

IMG_0244.png

If you shop at Costco, their Kirkland small batch bourbon is Buffalo Trace.

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #134,795 of 150,459
Thank you so much for your input with these. The GL1200s are my all time favorite headphones still. I never got any clipping when i plugged them into my Jot R. Strange you have thst issue. My umderstanding is that ribbons arent meant to play at ear deafening levels. The ribbons themselves may start to warp. Ive seen a user end up with slightly floppy ribbons as a result. Mine remained quite straight well after a year, but i dont listen super loud. I suspect the mj3 would drive ribbons headphones just perfectly. Im almost tempted to try it out for myself.
GL1200 cannot drive with MJ3 .... it needs a 100Wpc 4 ohms amp with their convertor transformer....

Jan 3, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #134,796 of 150,459
If you shop at Costco, their Kirkland small batch bourbon is Buffalo Trace.
Unless something has recently changed, it’s not. It’s from Barton 1792 (also Sazerac owned, but different distillery, etc). The 7 year is distilled (or was) at Beam and the Tennessee 7 at Dickel.

All Bourbon will have a “Distilled in…” statement on the label someplace that will give you a pretty good idea of where it comes from.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #134,797 of 150,459
Unless something has recently changed, it’s not. It’s from Barton 1792 (also Sazerac owned, but different distillery, etc). The 7 year is distilled (or was) at Beam and the Tennessee 7 at Dickel.

All Bourbon will have a “Distilled in…” statement on the label someplace that will give you a pretty good idea of where it comes from.
I could be wrong. That’s what I was told years ago. I have a bottle but I’m not a fan.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #134,798 of 150,459
She talks of letting go of the Blanton’s so I am going to tempt her with some of my best work.
....... So she is getting cardboard, would that be correct?
If only life was so simple, cardboard is reserved for Sir Cowen Esq., and occasionally tiger maple.IMG_2571.jpeg

I am considering using some Indian Rosewood I have had for a while and making a matched set of boards along with the same wood in in a set of high carbon Japanese blades.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #134,799 of 150,459
FWIW, having spent a small bit of time at Sazerac’s distillery, and a smaller bit of time in the room where they make single barrel decisions (and picked a few), the Single Barrel version of Buf Trace is Eagle Rare. But I go for the Old Charter these days in that line when BT goes stupid expensive. Best $15 bottle you can buy, especially if it’s a dusty that is still the actual 8 year old (bottled before 2014).

The Weller mash bill is Pappy and I ran a bar twenty years or so ago now, where the base Weller was my well. It was $17 a liter, wholesale.

And if you like Blanton’s, seek out some Ancient Age for the value brand equivalent…before Bourbon (and Sazerac brands in particular) got stupid, the Elmer Lee and Rock Hill Farms were, for my money, better than Blanton’s at a better price point, but are now also stupid expensive/rare.

Strange they don’t show Very Old Barton (it’s not) which is my house bourbon that frankly I prefer over Buffalo Trace. Nice to actually prefer the cheap ones.

Jan 3, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #134,800 of 150,459
If it wasnt a problem she was getting her "prescription" filled at a different "pharmacy"...😛
One with much larger pill bottles, no doubt. 🤣

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #134,802 of 150,459

IIRC The Kirkland Tennessee 7 won a gold medal a few years ago. I did not know it was from George Dickel but am happy to know that now.

Jan 3, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #134,803 of 150,459
And we've gone from (cat) Whiskers to Whiskey. Gotta love the Schiit sinewave. 😄

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:11 PM Post #134,805 of 150,459
How to tell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back