Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #134,552 of 151,325
My pi 5 has arrived, and I'm trying it out now with the pi2aes. Wow! I think you are onto something with your observations about improved sound through the gpio. I have never heard my DAC sound like this. I'm using the pi2aes's hdmi/i2s out. This is possibly the most holographic I've ever heard PCM sound.

Haven't tried AES yet. Annoyingly the pi2aes case doesn't line up properly with the USB/Ethernet ports since the rearrangement, so I left that side off and I'm a bit nervous about plugging in an XLR when the output jack isn't fastened to the case. May have to bust out the dremel.

Also, if I'm understanding this PR correctly, the drivers for the rpi 5 may finally allow sample rates higher than 192KHz. May finally be able to pass double data rate DSD via DoP: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/5751/commits/59cf556a359948f9bc7e59abe5adb78bce2c6514
And now I've gone from not wanting a pi5 at all to having one in my cart.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #134,553 of 151,325
Dec 30, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #134,554 of 151,325

I'm planning on getting a couple for some home automation projects, but audio uses have caught my eye. I really have to dial back the hobbies just a bit.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #134,555 of 151,325
Perhaps. You are forever responsible for that which you tame, and I try to be a decent owner. We had to have our dog put down about a month ago ...
We put my eldest's dog down about a year ago, maybe slightly longer. We can no longer watch the animated Grinch because Max looks and acts like Romeo and my youngest (20yo!) bursts into tears at the mere mention...

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #134,556 of 151,325
Peter Lyngdorf still funds Lars Risbo and Bruno Putzeys in new developments. Most likely he claims the larger parts of the patents benefits.
The most recent development of this duo is the Cue 100 speakers for which they developed new measurement techniques. The very first box speaker I have ever heard that comes close to an electrostatic. Just close, still not on par. Shame they too go for the max pricing. 20K per set without the speaker cloth that sells for an additional € 750. Sigh.
The Cue does sound pretty good for a Class D powered speaker, but even though they employ AMT tweets (my favored tweeter technology) they are not something I'd want to own.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #134,557 of 151,325
That's why professional studio sound mixers never use it. Oh, wait, most of today's mixing consoles and all Pc-based recording is digital... oops.
Right and that tells volumes about many of today’s recordings. In any case what the recording console does takes place during recording; they listen to the sound and they decide the outcome. In playback on our side it is different - if I am interested in listening to the recording I do not want to alter it. Digital volume control changes the recorded samples. Mike Moffat’s reconstruction filter takes pains to preserve the original samples in the upsampling algorithm and I want to take advantage of that.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #134,558 of 151,325
Then I remembered I had a Syn. And I just bought the Szell collection which has about 20+ discs in mono. Using the presence and width on the Syn does amazing things with those recordings. Otherwise those mono recordings were flat (I know, because they are mono). Now with the Syn, the recordings have some (pseudo) presence and dimension. Gotta love Schiit.
It is surprising to me that the width control would do anything to a mono recording! The diff would be zero and the sum would just be the signal doubled. Right? Then filtered, adding or subtracting the sum should just act like an EQ, right?

And in the headphone crossfeed mode it would be the right EQ curve for moving the soundstage away from your ears... I think? But if the illusion of sound in front of you is "just EQ" then why does headphones not sound like that from the get-go... I'm confused now.

Unless you have a center channel. I've heard from a couple real old and experienced audiophiles that mono recordings should be played back through a mono speaker, that the sense of space is greatly hampered by the issues of having two speakers. But the Syn wouldn't actually get you the full signal in the center channel and nothing in the main channels, would it?

Still confused.

Can someone with a deeper understanding of exactly what Syn does explain what will happen to a mono signal?

And the long shot: can someone with a deep understanding of how we perceive space through our hearing explain why this Schiit works?

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #134,559 of 151,325
Right and that tells volumes about many of today’s recordings. In any case what the recording console does takes place during recording; they listen to the sound and they decide the outcome. In playback on our side it is different - if I am interested in listening to the recording I do not want to alter it. Digital volume control changes the recorded samples. Mike Moffat’s reconstruction filter takes pains to preserve the original samples in the upsampling algorithm and I want to take advantage of that.
You do you. That's why there are so many choices in audio: to each his own!

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #134,560 of 151,325
It is surprising to me that the width control would do anything to a mono recording! The diff would be zero and the sum would just be the signal doubled. Right? Then filtered, adding or subtracting the sum should just act like an EQ, right?

And in the headphone crossfeed mode it would be the right EQ curve for moving the soundstage away from your ears... I think? But if the illusion of sound in front of you is "just EQ" then why does headphones not sound like that from the get-go... I'm confused now.

Unless you have a center channel. I've heard from a couple real old and experienced audiophiles that mono recordings should be played back through a mono speaker, that the sense of space is greatly hampered by the issues of having two speakers. But the Syn wouldn't actually get you the full signal in the center channel and nothing in the main channels, would it?

Still confused.

Can someone with a deeper understanding of exactly what Syn does explain what will happen to a mono signal?

And the long shot: can someone with a deep understanding of how we perceive space through our hearing explain why this Schiit works?
I agree. It doesn’t make sense. The width takes the music from a pinpoint soundstage to more of a small oval. The presence adds like a saturation to the sound making it more dynamic and a bit deeper soundstage.

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #134,561 of 151,325
I agree. It doesn’t make sense. The width takes the music from a pinpoint soundstage to more of a small oval. The presence adds like a saturation to the sound making it more dynamic and a bit deeper soundstage.
Please someone make it make sense!
:beerchug:

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #134,562 of 151,325
I don't see digital volume theory as being gender-specific. 😏
I'm about 15 pages behind, so please disregard if the topic has gone off the rails.

au contraire, monsieur ripper...
It does not get anymore gender specific than 1 and 0, hahaha

*Edit
Cause my spelling/grammar could be gooder.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #134,563 of 151,325
Glad to here your happy with the new Pi. If the audio improvements are true (I've changed too many things to really know) it could be due to reduced noise on the GPIO due to the RP1 chip or an improved DMA. Would filing out the ethernet opening on the front plate allow you to fit the new pi? I compared the spacing to a Pi 3b and the jacks seem to line up pretty close. As for the 384Khz you could ask over on the Hifiberry forum since they are the ones making the driver or Michael Kelly of Pi2Design over on the SBAF dac thread "Dummies Guide to Pi2AES! Throw away your PC or laptop."
Are you using the new 5amp variable voltage power supply or some other 5v supply? I have found it matters once you add peripherals and ramp up the computation. The previous Pi 4 4amp supply works for light loads only.

Happy listening and my best.
I'm using the Allo Shanti. Didn't even stop to think about new current requirements for the pi 5. So far no issues with the 3 amps it provides. Luckily it provides a separate supply for the pi2aes.

Yes, I will have to figure something out with that back plate. The pi2aes case comes with two of them to allow for older pi's. The one for older pi's seems closer but not quite enough clearance around the usb ports.

I actually tried out the AES by carefully inserting it, and it sounds wonderful as well. And unlike with i2s, my DAC can actually decode DoP from the pi's AES out (still stuck on single data rate of course).

Thanks again and happy new year.

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #134,564 of 151,325
Welcome to the fold! If you're using a hat I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

I also ordered a pimoroni NVMe expansion board so I can boot from ssd instead of the sd card. Seems both companies that make them are backordered so I got on the list and will hopefully get one mid January.

After wishing for years that pi's had a SATA port I'm thrilled they now offer something even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back