Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #133,876 of 153,256
Looking at Christmas lights from my music room chair. 😉

1000003924.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #133,877 of 153,256
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #133,878 of 153,256
Your stove was started with a piezo/electric spark. Hi voltage wasn't involved. Here's the science if you're interested

I've been listening to the Apos Ray 6sn7{https://apos.audio/products/apos-ray-vacuum-tube-6sn7-select} for the past several days. This new tube was presented on the forum several weeks ago (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meet-the-apos-ray-6sn7-select-vacuum-tubes.970867/).

I have a collection of tubes, many old new stock valves regarded as the standard best. I have new tubes Tung Sol, ShuGuang Treasure, PSVane Globe, and others. I think this new tube is very good. 2 days aren't enough to make a firm opinion, but this new tube is very nice, especially at $50 shipped.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #133,879 of 153,256
This one is really worth listening to!!

https://open.qobuz.com/track/1755945

Awesome !

This sounds amazing on my new GS2, I would have gotten it earlier based on just the bass/double bass plucking I’ve heard on multiple albums.

Listening via 6xx, Vali 2+ with an NOS RCA 6SN7 (wgt I think) Yggy GS2. Totally sick.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #133,883 of 153,256
Real NOS..from WW2 Navy Ship...

1703387409600.png
Gorgeous! And that it came from the USS North Carolina makes it even more gorgeous (not that I'm biased or anything). 🤣

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #133,884 of 153,256
Your stove was started with a piezo/electric spark. Hi voltage wasn't involved. Here's the science if you're interested
From what I understand of piezo electric igniters and what is required to create an arc across a gap of air, a high voltage (about 800 volts in the case of a stove starter) is required. I’ll agree that whatever was affecting the Yggy, probably wasn‘t the voltage, but more likely something in the spectra of light emitted from the spark (although I’m somewhat skeptical of that too as the affect occurs even when the oven is being lit which I assume is less visible to the Yggy (unless there’s a lot of infrared or UV that I can’t see.) All in all, It doesn’t really matter as it isn’t much of an issue to me. Just odd.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #133,885 of 153,256
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #133,886 of 153,256
You sillies. It's Free Range. These Yggy's are farm raised and ethically sourced, with no added hormones beyond that which they glean from God's polluted earth.
Some decades ago some friends started a tofu business. If you have tasted fresh made tofu you know what I mean by free-range tofu.
They made it the traditional Japanese way, with the exception that they used natural gas flame instead of wood, coal, or charcoal flame.
I know, some people will try to point out that tofu has no flavor, but this tofu, with no flavor, tasted better than the commercial packaged product* that also has no flavor. Zen.

* all packaged tofu needs a chemical to stabilize it. Or something.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #133,887 of 153,256
From what I understand of piezo electric igniters and what is required to create an arc across a gap of air, a high voltage (about 800 volts in the case of a stove starter) is required. I’ll agree that whatever was affecting the Yggy, probably wasn‘t the voltage, but more likely something in the spectra of light emitted from the spark (although I’m somewhat skeptical of that too as the affect occurs even when the oven is being lit which I assume is less visible to the Yggy (unless there’s a lot of infrared or UV that I can’t see.) All in all, It doesn’t really matter as it isn’t much of an issue to me. Just odd.
I really don't know where that statement originated. Obviously from me, but in what context?

Was I responding to a question, a problem, I have no idea.

I'm a new person day to day.

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #133,888 of 153,256
I like to throw streamers around the house. Mac Minis can be a bit pricey for that. OTOH, the Allo I bought is a massive regret.
I have enough to do with Pc's in my daily life, and although a Mac mini has a good use case under certain circumstances, at the end of the day, I want my music system to look and be used like a Hi-fi and not be like an office server room.
A Pi system suits me far better and, as a bonus, is considerably cheaper.
I use two Pi's in different systems and have a third pi on the way. I loaded them with Volumio, attached a Hifiberry coax HAT (I wasn't a fan of USB, at least not in the early days,) and a 7" touch screen. This gives me a far superior user interface for music playback and CD-quality sound. All the Pi's share music stored across a local network from a Windows 10 PC in another room.
Touch screen.jpg

DIY box with 7" touch screen version. Volumio seems to detect what screen you are using and changes the display accordingly.
Front Screen.jpg

For this one I used a 10 year old unused 14" screen. The Pi is bolted to the back.
BackScreen.jpg

Dec 24, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #133,889 of 153,256
Look, I want my cables like my cigars, braided on the thighs of virgins sitting astride unicorns within a quartz-lined Faraday cage.
Then bathed in the milk of The Muses, once for each. Cryogenically, of course,
I can assist with the Quartz.
Now we just need Virgins, Unicorns, Milk of the Muses and a Cryo Treatment Facility.
Anyone?

Dec 24, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #133,890 of 153,256
I have no idea where my dialog came from, or the context.

Could I speak on the subject?, Maybe, many years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back