Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #133,786 of 150,493
Tout à fait (i.e. absolutely)
As long as we’re having fun…
Peut-être pour un réfrigérateur! (Perhaps for a refrigerator!)

Whatever connection you use, make darn certain you love the sound (and your equipment supports it)!

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #133,787 of 150,493
As long as we’re having fun…
Peut-être pour un réfrigérateur! (Perhaps for a refrigerator!)

Whatever connection you use, make darn certain you love the sound (and your equipment supports it)!
Yes and Yes :relaxed:

Dec 23, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #133,788 of 150,493
I swear I thought I saw JS' eye twitch when we started going on about VU meters. And then he started raving about subscription fees... followed by a gulp of red wine. So, it looks like I'm DIY-ing my own creation. In my case, such analogue meters are for decoration. Full stop.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006344501672.html (on Amazon too I think)

Big, different backlight colours, adjustable, and doesn't degrade signals (according to a review)

It's on my list just because I like the look :) and my *old* Radio Shack Audio Power Meter is totaled.

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #133,789 of 150,493
And finally what started my whole Steamroller love affair at 18. Worked in a stereo shop and track #1 sold more gear than just about any track for me.

1000003908.jpg
It was a prominent test track at my local hifi shop as well. The drums really hit hard on a good system.

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #133,790 of 150,493
Finally gave up as my target speakers came down so low on price I had to pull the trigger. My question for the forum is how long can my XLR runs be from Freya to Gjallarrhorn? 25' is the minimum, 40' would be nice. Do we care about length of XLR interconnects?

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #133,791 of 150,493
Holo Red DDC is very popular in high end chains. It's always sold out.
And who wants it? People upsampling the piss out of red book over Schiit supported 24/192. Or people who believe in I2S sounding holographic over USB while already having great USB implementations. Very few people are actually using Red as HQP NAA/Embed streamers. They have TOTL network streamers too. It's been used and abused as a high rate DDC for magical hdmi cables.

It's been sold out since initial offer. This isn't the indication you think it is, although im sure the next run will sell out as I too actually need an end point over ethernet and can't be bothered to build a pi4.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #133,792 of 150,493
Great points all.
Most people load Linux based audio solutions on them, otherwise they're just another computer on the network. That's a whole rabbit hole on its own.

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #133,793 of 150,493
Finally gave up as my target speakers came down so low on price I had to pull the trigger. My question for the forum is how long can my XLR runs be from Freya to Gjallarrhorn? 25' is the minimum, 40' would be nice. Do we care about length of XLR interconnects?
In pro audio, 100 feet is the 'normal' max length. When needed, 200 feet can be the new normal. Theoretically, line level XLR can stretch to 1,000 feet.

However, for audio nervosa enthusiasts, 1000 feet of 6n silver wire, braided and sleeved by mutant audio geeks standing on invisible quartz crystals time-aligned to the cosmic constant inside a secret bespoke laboratory encapsulated in thick film sanity-free hyperbolic embellishment is going to cost extra. :ksc75smile:

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #133,794 of 150,493
The Gungnir 2 is intriguing. I am using a modest Modius AKM Unison in my home system after moving my Bifrost 2/64 to work. I was considering a Yggdrasil GS2 but now think that might be living in the past at this point. Who knows since the only info we have is Jason holding up the board and saying it would be their own Delta Sigma with new things in store. I suppose the worst scenario is I don’t want the Gungnir 2 and go for a LiM instead. Thoughts?
I didn’t think Gungnir would return that soon, but it’s very nice that it does! It’ll be exiting to see what multibit options will appear for it in the future.

You can’t go wrong with the GS2 though in my opinion. iIt’s only the D/A cards that are older, everything else is brand new and exactly as the current Yggdrasil+, so you’re no more than an upgrade away from an Yggy indistinguishable from a regular one. And it’s good. It’s worth to remember the the A1 cards were top-of-the-line for a long time. Even with my current old fart speakers the sound of the GS2 makes me want to come back and listen again and again!
:L3000:

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #133,795 of 150,493
Breaking News: I won NOTHING!! :D

And still nothing on a future DDC.
I always say Winning nothing is better than not winning at all... hahaha

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #133,796 of 150,493
Your stove was started with a piezo/electric spark. Hi voltage wasn't involved. Here's the science if you're interested

I've been listening to the Apos Ray 6sn7{https://apos.audio/products/apos-ray-vacuum-tube-6sn7-select} for the past several days. This new tube was presented on the forum several weeks ago (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meet-the-apos-ray-6sn7-select-vacuum-tubes.970867/).

I have a collection of tubes, many old new stock valves regarded as the standard best. I have new tubes Tung Sol, ShuGuang Treasure, PSVane Globe, and others. I think this new tube is very good. 2 days aren't enough to make a firm opinion, but this new tube is very nice, especially at $50 shipped.
Ordered a pair of and looking forward to trying them out.

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #133,797 of 150,493
Would there have to be at least 2, the 5-Rekkr and the 5-Gjallarhorn? Or maybe Rekkr Mach5 Edition :-D
Think Jason is dead-set on Home Rekkr.

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #133,798 of 150,493
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006344501672.html (on Amazon too I think)

Big, different backlight colours, adjustable, and doesn't degrade signals (according to a review)

It's on my list just because I like the look :) and my *old* Radio Shack Audio Power Meter is totaled.
Appreciated the suggestion, @Timster ...I've seen this model mentioned on the thread. I'm a bit paranoid about buying kit from AliExpress (electrical safety & will it actually show up). Buyer beware and all that. I do like its layout. Will investigate....

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #133,799 of 150,493
Appreciated the suggestion, @Timster ...I've seen this model mentioned on the thread. I'm a bit paranoid about buying kit from AliExpress (electrical safety & will it actually show up). Buyer beware and all that. I do like its layout. Will investigate....
But people DO buy lots of stuff on Amazon, where xx % is coming straight from China or is the same seller as on AliExpress with extra cost for the percentage Bezos wants to earn and your "free" prime shipping. 😂🤣

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #133,800 of 150,493
But people DO buy lots of stuff on Amazon, where xx % is coming straight from China or is the same seller as on AliExpress with extra cost for the percentage Bezos wants to earn and your "free" prime shipping. 😂🤣
All of this is true. But with Amazon when something doesn't show up (rare), I get a refund or a new one shipped ASAP. :smiley_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back