Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 14, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #132,931 of 152,752
Far be it for me to disagree with Jason on something he says about his own products, but even the Mjolnir 3 on top of the Gungnir gets borderline too hot for my taste. At least without spacers, the Gungnir's metal heats up quite a bit with a Mjolnir 3 on top. That's not the Gungnir being unable to dissipate its own heat, but getting heated up by the Mjolnir sitting on it. This might not necessarily harm the Gungnir, but it's not great, either.
With spacers, however, it's fine. (I've been using cheap Amazon-sourced large-ish cork stoppers. Others like to use HVAC anti-vibration pads.)

But yes, anything on top of the Mjolnir is definitely a bad idea.
Same experience here, the bottom of the MJ3 runs uncomfortably hot if not given some added space.
Using spacers like the cork or rubber/cork ones underneath the MJ3 when stacked on top of the Gumby is a good suggestion, and I use the same approach.

Bad idea or not, I have a Folkvangr stacked on top of the MJ3 using the same rubber/cork spacers.
Thus far no issues, and the surfaces all remain touchable except for the heat sinks.
It should also be noted that I don't run both the MJ3 and FV at the same time.

Attachments

• gumby-mj3-fv.jpg
    gumby-mj3-fv.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Dec 14, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #132,932 of 152,752
Usage of the phrase "tea-bagged" is ... uhhh ... generally in a different context (don't google that at work :astonished:)
I know what you meant, but coffee out the nose nonetheless, thank you for a fabulous morning chuckle!!
:beerchug:
They say you learn something new every day. This proves the case today, for me.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #132,933 of 152,752
Same experience here, the bottom of the MJ3 runs uncomfortably hot if not given some added space.
Using spacers like the cork or rubber/cork ones underneath the MJ3 when stacked on top of the Gumby is a good suggestion, and I use the same approach.
... on top of the MJ3 using the same rubber/cork spacers.
I'd be concerned that the rubber ones would get melt-y from the MJ3.

I use these aluminum ones with a trimmed cork coaster under. So, MJ3 -> Al feet -> cork -> streamer/DAC.
(mine are brass-colored, which look stunning with a black MJ3.)

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #132,936 of 152,752
Back from a weeklong trip. By coincidence overnighted in Santa Clarita very near to Schiit Audio. At the hotel last night ordered a Lokius. Too bad I couldn’t pick it up from the company this AM. Ships from TX.

Arriving home, turned on audio components and in a very quiet room noticed a faint hum from the Yggy+ OG. Very faint only heard inches from it but noticeable. My mains has no DC. Question for those owning this product - when you turned the Yggy from cold do you notice that? It must be in a quiet room and near it.
I almost never turn my OG YggyA2 off except for the monthly reboot. Never heard a hum of any kind.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #132,937 of 152,752
I'd be concerned that the rubber ones would get melt-y from the MJ3.

I use these aluminum ones with a trimmed cork coaster under. So, MJ3 -> Al feet -> cork -> streamer/DAC.
(mine are brass-colored, which look stunning with a black MJ3.)
The rubber is more akin to a vulcanized tire than a softer / sorbothane like material.
So far no melt-y bits to be found, though the "new tire smell" takes a week or so to diminish when first opened.

Dec 14, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #132,938 of 152,752
Or maybe don’t stack them on each other. You should hang them from the ceiling with fishing line.
That's a speaker thing, not an electronics thing.

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #132,941 of 152,752
In the late 1970s early 1980s I suspended my turntable. I lived in a 900ish sq. ft. log cabin and the only place the turntable did not feedback was sitting on a large wood stove (which was not ideal in cold weather). Back then I could not find any isolation methods/products that worked. Required careful hands when starting a record.

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #132,942 of 152,752
In the late 1970s early 1980s I suspended my turntable. I lived in a 900ish sq. ft. log cabin and the only place the turntable did not feedback was sitting on a large wood stove (which was not ideal in cold weather). Back then I could not find any isolation methods/products that worked. Required careful hands when starting a record.

Wall mounting works really well.

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #132,943 of 152,752
They say you learn something new every day. This proves the case today, for me.
That phrase is also used colloquially as a symbolic in-game gesture after having pwnd one's opponent in online first person shooter games.

And there, perhaps, is yet another word for you to learn today. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #132,945 of 152,752

Users who are viewing this thread

Back