Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 14, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #132,901 of 151,857
That mirrors my impression also of the Yggy OG vs my BF2/64.

The sound stage depth, nuanced texture and detail retrieval was well worth the upgrade!

Years of knowledge and technical know-how from Mr. Mike Moffat :thumbsup:

Dec 14, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #132,902 of 151,857
Never heard any Schiit transformer hum especially if they're only consuming 45 watts nominal.
Some of the bigger x-formers have some mechanical hum. Both my Vidars do. It's the nature of big x-formers in many products. The ones on power poles do the same thing. :)

Have to be very close to hear it though and I have made a couple of reversible mods to tone it down even more.

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #132,903 of 151,857
Freaking Fedex ...

I had an order arriving from schiit today....

Fedex says it was delivered... they even included a link in the text notification that shows a photo of the package being delivered....

And yep, there's a photo of my package sitting in the garage on the steps leading into the house....

Only problem.... its not my house.

This oughta be fun....
Years ago I shipped an item to someone hundreds of miles away. The box was marked delivered. The person I shipped it to did not have it. In a day or two he found where it had been delivered to; the house across the street. He knocked on their door, and they [enthusiastically] edit: oops! unenthusiastically gave it back to him.
If you recognize where it was delivered, I would go knock on their door.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #132,904 of 151,857
People keep asking me for my thoughts on Yggdrasil+ GS2, so here are my thoughts on the Yggy GS2 vs BF2/64 on my rig (speaker setup) with my ears and my music.

VERY initial impressions (after 5 hours of warm-up):

Yggy GS2 is more holographic and definitely has more air around instruments. Soundstage a teeny bit less wide than BF2/64 -- at least for now as it is opening up with time. Yggy GS2 soundstage is definitely deeper front-to-back placing instruments and vocalists in a 3D-like space. Bass seems to have a bit more slam, but it may just be more controlled. Highs are definitely airy and more 'pure' sounding with no trace of etch or harshness. Definitely more texture and timbre such that I could tell that what I previously thought was a metal glockenspiel was actually a vibraphone with wooden tone bars. I know this because I could actually hear the wood 'texture/tonality' underneath the note when struck. Never noticed that before on BF2/64. Live performances just sound more 'live'. I'm hearing deeper into the music and picking out things I never knew was there in tunes I've heard many, many times.

Sure, Yggy GS2 is 2x more expensive than BF2/64. Is it 2x better sounding than BF2/64? Probably not. But it is better -- revealing nuances, air, texture, and details I had not noticed previously. At this stage of the game it's all about subtleties and nuances and how much you value them, I guess. Yggy GS2 is not humiliating BF2/64, it's just a bit better in many areas and all these areas matter to me. It's a lot of little things all adding up to make this a DAC that is worth keeping over the BF2/64 -- at least for me.

** Yggy's role will be as the DAC in my speaker setup, but I'll test it with headphones this weekend.
Many thanks on this explanation. Very helpful in making me decide. My wallet did not like it as much 😅

Dec 14, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #132,905 of 151,857
I have AKG 702 and thought they sounded pretty good if a little light in the bass. But they crush my skull with their weight after about 45 minutes. I also wish there were separate grounds but I bought them many years ago when I had no interest in balanced gear.

I’ve been looking at the Senn 58X Jubilee for a minute and am seriously tempted.
All the Senns are just supremely comfortable, in my opinion. Featherweight on your noggin. Just buy 'em.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #132,906 of 151,857
I own a pair of HD 58x. I bought them because, well, why the heck not.
But I never really liked them, so they got relegated to lab bench duty, acting as the first line of defense against potentially faulty headphone amps. If I blow them up somehow, no harm is done.
That is until @JamminVMI asked me recently how they sounded with the Folkvangr.
And I didn't know, never tried.
So I did.
And you know what? Turns out that these HD 58x can actually sound pretty darn decent.
Fed by a Gungnir MB, through Lokius with a bit of bass boost, Folkvangr with a pair of WE 2C51, in high gain, impedance multiplier off, and the Drop hybrid velour pads?
The result isn't exactly the most detailed or accurate sound you'll ever hear. But for rock or pop, it's a veritable Schiit-ton of fun!
Currently at my desk, listening to Dua Lipa's album Future Nostalgia, and I'm having a hard time sitting still.
I've never been a big fan of Sennheiser, although I rocked a pair of HD 595 (I think? Not entirely sure. Same basic shape, but they were a blue-ish green.) for the better part of the aughts. But for the first time ever, I'm actually curious about taking a pair of HD 800 S or 820 for a spin.
Who knew! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have tea-bagged 58x phones with MM1 and Vali 2++. The overall presentation is really good, with natural texture and tone, and zero hardness. I can listen to this combo for hours without a hint of fatigue.

Dec 14, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #132,907 of 151,857
Baaaaaa! ...errrr... I mean "Bah!"

Apple's strength is its ecosystem and they way their devices work seamlessly together as one. Yeah, there are issues - flaky Bluetooth being my main annoyance.

But, I can run Midnight Commander - with mouse support - in Terminal (and I just noticed a /.android folder. Interesting.)!

1702480323757.png
That GUI reminds me of this:

Dec 14, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #132,908 of 151,857
They've never delivered as initially promised for me. I don't know why I thought this delivery would be different. 🙄
There's always the First Time® to set expectations which are then completely crushed on every subsequent endeavor. :unamused:

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #132,909 of 151,857
Yggy+ GS2 arrived! I'm letting her warm up from the cold weather for an hour or so before I plug her in, connect and turn her on.

Yggy 1.jpg
Yggy 2.jpg

Dec 14, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #132,910 of 151,857
Yggy+ GS2 arrived! I'm letting her warm up from the cold weather for an hour or so before I plug her in, connect and turn her on.

Yggy 1.jpgYggy 2.jpg
WTH!!?? You got it on the day it was actually supposed to arrive!!?? :D

Enjoy! I think you'll be happy with the purchase. Give it about 4-5 hours of power-on time before any serious comparos. :wink:

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #132,912 of 151,857
I have tea-bagged 58x phones with MM1 and Vali 2++. The overall presentation is really good, with natural texture and tone, and zero hardness. I can listen to this combo for hours without a hint of fatigue.
Usage of the phrase "tea-bagged" is ... uhhh ... generally in a different context (don't google that at work :astonished:)
I know what you meant, but coffee out the nose nonetheless, thank you for a fabulous morning chuckle!!
:beerchug:

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #132,913 of 151,857

Yggy 1.jpgYggy 2.jpg
Excellent approach. When electronics arrive cold it is good practice to let them stabilize thermally to the room temperature before turning it on. Especially important when the temperature difference is large - say from 30F to 70F.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #132,914 of 151,857
SchiitrMeet December
End of the Year Wrapup, Giveaways, and Aegir 2 Preview

Hey guys,

It's that time of year again--time for the end of the year wrap-up, where I talk about what we did right, what we did wrong, and what's coming. (Or at least some of it.)

We'll also be giving away all of our analog products introduced in 2024 and all of our digital products introduced in 2024 to two lucky viewers. If things go as well as I hope, those are gonna be some very cool giveaways.

Oh yeah, and I'll have a pair of Aegir 2s that we can listen to (first articles--I expect we'll be shipping production shortly after the end of the year.)

Questions? Send them to Denise at denise@schiit.com.

SchiitrMeet December
Thursday, December 21
6-10PM

22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

Don't feel like seeing us in person? Can't make the trip from Scotland or Singapore? Please join us on Facebook or YouTube. Starts at 6. That's 18:00 for you fancy people who use 24-hour clocks, GMT-7. The video bit goes about 45 minutes.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back