Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #132,871 of 150,256
People keep asking me for my thoughts on GS2, so here are my thoughts on Yggy GS2 vs BF2/64 on my rig (speaker setup) with my ears and my music.

VERY initial impressions (after 5 hours of warm-up):
This got me very excited for mine to come in. Absolutely loved the way my BF2/64 sounded in my system, but I recently got my hands on a much more expensive pro-audio DAC to try out. Totally not for me. Turns out I missed the natural tonality/decay/slight bloom of the Bifrost way more than I would thought.

Went back and forth for days about whether I would prefer the A1 or A2/OG card in the Yggy, and settled on the GS2 (Can always buy an A2 card sometime in the future, but an A1 card will be hard to come by unless someone parts with their GS2). We'll see on Tuesday if I made the right choice (and if Fedex cooperates).

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #132,872 of 150,256
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #132,874 of 150,256
Freaking Fedex ...

I had an order arriving from schiit today....

Fedex says it was delivered... they even included a link in the text notification that shows a photo of the package being delivered....

And yep, there's a photo of my package sitting in the garage on the steps leading into the house....

Only problem.... its not my house.

This oughta be fun....

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #132,875 of 150,256
Freaking Fedex ...

Fedex says it was delivered... they even included a link in the text notification that shows a photo of the package being delivered....

And yep, there's a photo of my package sitting in the garage on the steps leading into the house....

This oughta be fun....
I feel your pain. Good luck!

Dec 13, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #132,876 of 150,256
Freaking Fedex ...

This oughta be fun....
Anybody have a black MJ3 and need a silver top? I unexpectedly received one today (despite not even owning an MJ3) and am willing to let it go for cheap. 😏

*** J/K -- sorry, @Rensek.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #132,877 of 150,256
Anybody have a black MJ3 and need a silver top? I unexpectedly received one today (despite not even owning an MJ3) and am willing to let it go for cheap. 😏
You know, as one does.

While I absolutely very much prefer all my Schiit in silver, my Mjolnir 3 came in black, and black it shall remain. Veeeeeeeeeeeeery, very tempting, though.

Edit:
Well, turns out I bought something, though it's not a silver top… 😬🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #132,878 of 150,256
People keep asking me for my thoughts on GS2, so here are my thoughts on Yggy GS2 vs BF2/64 on my rig (speaker setup) with my ears and my music.

Yggy GS2 is more holographic and definitely has more air around instruments. Soundstage a teeny bit less wide than BF2/64 -- at least for now as it is opening up with time. Yggy GS2 soundstage is definitely deeper front-to-back placing instruments and vocalists in a 3D-like space. Bass seems to have a bit more slam, but it may just be more controlled. Highs are definitely airy and more 'pure' sounding with no trace of etch or harshness. Definitely more texture and timbre such that I could tell that what I previously thought was a metal glockenspiel was actually a vibraphone with wooden tone bars. I know this because I could actually hear the wood 'texture/tonality' underneath the note when struck. Never noticed that before on BF2/64. Live performances just sound more 'live'. I'm hearing deeper into the music and picking out things I never knew was there in tunes I've heard many, many times.

Sure, Yggy GS2 is 2x more expensive than BF2/64. But is it 2x better sounding than BF2/64? Probably not. But it is better -- revealing nuances, air, texture, and details I had not noticed previously. At this stage of the game it's all about subtleties and nuances and how much you value them, I guess. Yggy GS2 is not humiliating BF2/64, it's just a bit better in many areas and all these areas matter to me. It's a lot of little things all adding up to make this a DAC that is worth keeping over the BF2/64 -- at least for me.

** Yggy's role will be as the DAC in my speaker setup, but I'll test it with headphones this weekend.

Congrats! Finally jump the board to the bestest Schiitiest DAC bandwagon :)

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #132,879 of 150,256

Les Claypool’s album Four Foot Shack is always a joy through the Tyrs. Renders his slapping all nice and punchy.

Somehow I had never listened to this album before.

Now I've listened to it three times in a row ... apparently trying to pay back my debt to society.

THANKS for the recommendaton !!!

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #132,880 of 150,256
It’s super easy.

IG like in ignore
Druh like in drunk
Sil like in silly.

Cool, that's how I've been pronouncing it all along. That's even how Alexa devices pronounce it. Just don't ask her to "Turn on Yggdrasil" or you get some nonsensical response about window sills or something else just as ridiculous.

Dec 13, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #132,881 of 150,256
I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue was/is a panel show available on BBC Sounds. Humphrey Lyttelton, a jazz trumpeter was its host. A bit oblique reference I suppose.
One of the finest programmes produced by the BBC.

Dec 13, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #132,882 of 150,256
I own a pair of HD 58x. I bought them because, well, why the heck not.
But I never really liked them, so they got relegated to lab bench duty, acting as the first line of defense against potentially faulty headphone amps. If I blow them up somehow, no harm is done.
That is until @JamminVMI asked me recently how they sounded with the Folkvangr.
And I didn't know, never tried.
So I did.
And you know what? Turns out that these HD 58x can actually sound pretty darn decent.
Fed by a Gungnir MB, through Lokius with a bit of bass boost, Folkvangr with a pair of WE 2C51, in high gain, impedance multiplier off, and the Drop hybrid velour pads?
The result isn't exactly the most detailed or accurate sound you'll ever hear. But for rock or pop, it's a veritable Schiit-ton of fun!
Currently at my desk, listening to Dua Lipa's album Future Nostalgia, and I'm having a hard time sitting still.
I've never been a big fan of Sennheiser, although I rocked a pair of HD 595 (I think? Not entirely sure. Same basic shape, but they were a blue-ish green.) for the better part of the aughts. But for the first time ever, I'm actually curious about taking a pair of HD 800 S or 820 for a spin.
Who knew! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #132,883 of 150,256

Yggy GS2 is more holographic and definitely has more air around instruments. Soundstage a teeny bit less wide than BF2/64 -- at least for now as it is opening up with time. Yggy GS2 soundstage is definitely deeper front-to-back placing instruments and vocalists in a 3D-like space. Bass seems to have a bit more slam, but it may just be more controlled. Highs are definitely airy and more 'pure' sounding with no trace of etch or harshness. Definitely more texture and timbre such that I could tell that what I previously thought was a metal glockenspiel was actually a vibraphone with wooden tone bars. I know this because I could actually hear the wood 'texture/tonality' underneath the note when struck. Never noticed that before on BF2/64. Live performances just sound more 'live'. I'm hearing deeper into the music and picking out things I never knew was there in tunes I've heard many, many times.

Sure, Yggy GS2 is 2x more expensive than BF2/64. But is it 2x better sounding than BF2/64? Probably not. But it is better -- revealing nuances, air, texture, and details I had not noticed previously. At this stage of the game it's all about subtleties and nuances and how much you value them, I guess. Yggy GS2 is not humiliating BF2/64, it's just a bit better in many areas and all these areas matter to me. It's a lot of little things all adding up to make this a DAC that is worth keeping over the BF2/64 -- at least for me.

** Yggy's role will be as the DAC in my speaker setup, but I'll test it with headphones this weekend.
Excellent report!! Just wait until that puppy has the time to break in. :smiley_cat:

Congrats!

Dec 13, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #132,884 of 150,256
I own a pair of HD 58x. I bought them because, well, why the heck not.
But I never really liked them, so they got relegated to lab bench duty, acting as the first line of defense against potentially faulty headphone amps. If I blow them up somehow, no harm is done.
That is until @JamminVMI asked me recently how they sounded with the Folkvangr.
And I didn't know, never tried.
So I did.
And you know what? Turns out that these HD 58x can actually sound pretty darn decent.
Fed by a Gungnir MB, through Lokius with a bit of bass boost, Folkvangr with a pair of WE 2C51, in high gain, impedance multiplier off, and the Drop hybrid velour pads?
The result isn't exactly the most detailed or accurate sound you'll ever hear. But for rock or pop, it's a veritable Schiit-ton of fun!
Currently at my desk, listening to Dua Lipa's album Future Nostalgia, and I'm having a hard time sitting still.
I've never been a big fan of Sennheiser, although I rocked a pair of HD 599 (I think? Not entirely sure. Same basic shape, but they were a blue-ish green.) for the better part of the aughts. But for the first time ever, I'm actually curious about taking a pair of HD 800 or 820 S for a spin.
Who knew! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sounds like my story with the AKG K702. After ignoring for long while; MM2 -> Loki+ -> Piety -> K702 = "can actually sound pretty decent"

Dec 13, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #132,885 of 150,256
My modded HD6XX ride the bench until I reach for the VH2 or Incubus amps for some tune time. These Senn cans are marvelous with high impedance tube amps!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back