Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 7, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #132,301 of 152,914
Car paint can stand for more than 100 degress C, will it work as well? then we can have many choice of colors.
Should work but I went for powder coat rather than wet paint not for temperature resistance but durability. Paint is easy to scratch.

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #132,302 of 152,914
Should work but I went for powder coat rather than wet paint not for temperature resistance but durability. Paint is easy to scratch.
Indeed, power coating has a nice texture on it too, good to the touch.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #132,303 of 152,914
I hauled a lot of Schiit (Freya S, MMB2, Vidar2) 900 miles to another location. It replaced a NAD C340 and drives Klipsch RP-600M. It’s still warming up but the sound already is smooth and detailed.

IMG_9046.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #132,304 of 152,914
I hauled a lot of Schiit (Freya S, MMB2, Vidar2) 900 miles to another location. It replaced a NAD C340 and drives Klipsch RP-600M. Smooth, extended sound.

Vidar 2 means lively sound with plenty of headroom, tons of power :)

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #132,305 of 152,914
Vidar 2 means lively sound with plenty of headroom, tons of power :)
Particularly for these very efficient speakers.

Funny tidbit… these are 96dB sensitivity speakers and on the NAD integrated amp they needed just a few degrees of volume control up. On the Freya S I have the volume knob up past 12 for moderate volume. It is clear that with these speakers the Vidar 2 offers a very generous headroom and that, in my experience, makes all the difference.

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #132,306 of 152,914
I'd like to ask the Schiit experts in this thread for advice about a vexing issue with my Schiit:

I have some sort of weird incompatibility between a new amplifier (Burson Soloist 3X GT) and my Gungnir multibit. Whenever I use the two together there is low-level bass distortion. The issue is not electronic noise like a hum but actual distortion in the music. When notes around 100 hz play the headphone drivers make a low buzzing noise which sounds like they are broken. This distortion is present at the same level with all cables, all RCA outputs / inputs and all gain settings. I really have no idea why this happens but it only happens when Gungnir and Soloist are paired together, the DAC sounds fine with all other amps and vice versa. If anyone has ideas on what the problem might be I'd love to hear them. I did reach out to Schiit customer support but haven't heard back - I can understand they are very busy after Thanksgiving sales.

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #132,308 of 152,914
I think this mindset for Schiit, regardless of growth, is a huge reason why people like myself and others are big fans of your products. Like yeah, the products work and they sound great yadda yadda yadda, but at least from my perspective, giving a **** about your customers keeps them for the long term, and I think Schiit wouldn't be where it is today without the mindet you and your team have for helping people out when there are issues.

I was in an audio/hifi discord the other day and someone linked a reddit post about an issue with a magni heresy essentially dying on them catastrophically, and my first thought was that weeeeelll yall make a *TON* of magnis, and because of that, even with a failure rate that was like 2-5% or so, the actual number could seem big just because of the scale yall move those entry level products. And I also know that regardless of your failure rates for a magni heresy (pre magni+ generation), if you didn't take care of the customers on that, y'all probably wouldn't have such loyal customers anymore. IDK, just something I was thinking about earlier.
My Magi Heresy still kicks schiit, Assy in the USA. It was an amp that 'measured' near the tip-top of all, well it should since it had an astronomical price-tag. And it came with a 2 year warranty, so the Heresy you referenced probably had a few years of workouts. And probably one of those Schiit IC chips...oh, that's another company.....

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #132,309 of 152,914
I'd like to ask the Schiit experts in this thread for advice about a vexing issue with my Schiit:

I have some sort of weird incompatibility between a new amplifier (Burson Soloist 3X GT) and my Gungnir multibit. Whenever I use the two together there is low-level bass distortion. The issue is not electronic noise like a hum but actual distortion in the music. When notes around 100 hz play the headphone drivers make a low buzzing noise which sounds like they are broken. This distortion is present at the same level with all cables, all RCA outputs / inputs and all gain settings. I really have no idea why this happens but it only happens when Gungnir and Soloist are paired together, the DAC sounds fine with all other amps and vice versa. If anyone has ideas on what the problem might be I'd love to hear them. I did reach out to Schiit customer support but haven't heard back - I can understand they are very busy after Thanksgiving sales.
Are you using software EQ / bass boost / loudness compensation? IIRC Gungnir has balanced out which can drive 8Vrms professional balanced inputs, might be overloading the input of the Burson, whereas other DAC's especially portable DAP's etc might be 2Vrms or lower.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #132,310 of 152,914
Particularly for these very efficient speakers.

Funny tidbit… these are 96dB sensitivity speakers and on the NAD integrated amp they needed just a few degrees of volume control up. On the Freya S I have the volume knob up past 12 for moderate volume. It is clear that with these speakers the Vidar 2 offers a very generous headroom and that, in my experience, makes all the difference.
Freya S use relay ladder resistor as volume control, NAD could be using an attenuator something like Alps RK27, if so, they behave differently.

For example, if I feed 2V to the RK27, at (roughly) 10 o'clock it is 0.1V, 12 o'clock is 0.33V, 2 o'clock is 1V... I do not know the voltage of Freya at certain position because I don't own one, may be Jason or other members can tell.

I measure it by putting a noise signal to the Modi multibit 2, it output 2V, and measure the voltage after the RK27 attenuator at different position to get the idea, of course you need an AC voltmeter.

NAD can be difficult because it is an intergrated, you need to open it, and it is risky with live power line voltage.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #132,311 of 152,914
My Magi Heresy still kicks schiit, Assy in the USA. It was an amp that 'measured' near the tip-top of all, well it should since it had an astronomical price-tag. And it came with a 2 year warranty, so the Heresy you referenced probably had a few years of workouts. And probably one of those Schiit IC chips...oh, that's another company.....
I have the late 2022 Heresy too, cute little baby, clean and smooth.

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #132,312 of 152,914
Sorry to post a completely non-Schiit related question here, but I thought that I'd take advantage of the impressive technical knowledge regularly on display in this forum: Does anyone have any experience using amplifiers from the domestic Japanese market in the US? I was recently in Tokyo and visited a couple of shops in Akihabara and they didn't recommend buying an amp in Tokyo and bringing it to the US due to the voltage difference: Japan domestic outlets provide a constant 100V voltage, whereas in the US we have 120V +/- 6%. Apparently, the amplifiers made for the domestic Japanese market are designed for 100V constant voltage and the dealer didn't recommend using it in the US. My guess is that the input stages are fed by regulated power supplies so they should be OK, but the output stage power supply may well be unregulated, which would increase the voltage by 20% (and power by 44%) so I guess the risk is frying the output stage. Any advice from all you fine and knowledgeable folks? (Why buy in Tokyo you ask? To which I say: Have you checked the USD/JPY exchange rate lately?)

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #132,313 of 152,914
Are you using software EQ / bass boost / loudness compensation? IIRC Gungnir has balanced out which can drive 8Vrms professional balanced inputs, might be overloading the input of the Burson, whereas other DAC's especially portable DAP's etc might be 2Vrms or lower.
I'm not using any EQ and crossfeed feature on the Burson is off. Although both DAC and amp are balanced I lack the interconnect cables so I'm just using single ended outputs / inputs.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #132,314 of 152,914
Sorry to post a completely non-Schiit related question here, but I thought that I'd take advantage of the impressive technical knowledge regularly on display in this forum: Does anyone have any experience using amplifiers from the domestic Japanese market in the US? I was recently in Tokyo and visited a couple of shops in Akihabara and they didn't recommend buying an amp in Tokyo and bringing it to the US due to the voltage difference: Japan domestic outlets provide a constant 100V voltage, whereas in the US we have 120V +/- 6%. Apparently, the amplifiers made for the domestic Japanese market are designed for 100V constant voltage and the dealer didn't recommend using it in the US. My guess is that the input stages are fed by regulated power supplies so they should be OK, but the output stage power supply may well be unregulated, which would increase the voltage by 20% (and power by 44%) so I guess the risk is frying the output stage. Any advice from all you fine and knowledgeable folks? (Why buy in Tokyo you ask? To which I say: Have you checked the USD/JPY exchange rate lately?)
@Currawong, thoughts?

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #132,315 of 152,914
When I looked into this before I was under the impression that the power supply would be stressed and could fail prematurely. Perhaps a 120v to 100v transformer would work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back