Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 5, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #132,107 of 149,849
The Ayre YouTube channel has more about this.
Jake did that video after I mentioned to him more people probably had no idea about it. I saw a vague reference to it and reached out to him about it. It's a great option for when your setup is a 2-way speaker blended with subs. Even Magnepan blended with subs. Earlier in the year I owned a pair of Magnepan 3.7i and that was the initial idea for use along with subs. The Maggies have since moved along.

Notwithstanding a dedicated board, you can do the same thing via caps that you plug inline prior to the amp. There is a calculation to be done based in the input impedance of the amp. So, it's possible to do with any Schiit amp right now... Someone running an Aegir on 2-way speakers with subs? The benefit is that, especially on a 2-way, you relieve the woofer of the lower bass and it makes it's job easier for the midrange... easier job for the amp... easier on both.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/High-Pass-Filter.htm

high-pass-03.jpg

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #132,108 of 149,849
All I can tell you is that my old Kenwood M2A had a damping factor of 1000 and my Aegir sounds way better (all be it, less power). The Vidar 1 actually sounded really similar to the old Kenwood.
Not surprised by this at all. Here is a bit more on the topic, in case some are interested in exploring / experiencing it for themselves... at least something to think about for why each successive piece of gear you get is unremarkable, and then, something different. Is it surprising that many amps can sound similar / unremarkable if the designers do the same sort of things?

@Jason Stoddard has mentioned that "It's impossible to choose an amp based on damping factor, lack of feedback, or other factors, unless you really understand, in engineering terms, the tradeoffs associated with the design of audio power amplifiers." Not surprisingly, I don't have the technical knowledge to debate that point; however, I have ears. Something else worth noting or at least considering / asking "Why?" is that fact that Zero Feedback is the foundational basis for everything they do.

Zero Feedback is the bedrock of everything they make. "Why?"

Read here for a different take on the issue. This is something different:

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=amp&n=185962&highlight=Hansen+feedback&r=&search_url=/cgi/search.mpl?forum=vinyl&searchtext=Monster+z4

I have a hunch for at least part of the reason why Zero Feedback isn't more common, even though people like me think it sounds better. Of course, a lot of people might be stoopid, like me. I have a hunch, though... I think the reason is "The Measurement Crowd".

In my not so humble opinion, The Measurement Crowd is why we can't have more nice sounding things, because the Amir/ASR crowd is a balancing act to deal with. Even guys like John Curl have to deal with it too:

https://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/71/712921.html

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12.26.59 PM.png

But it's OK, because I have a solution. Design a product that completely and totally embraces how bad it measures, and that's part of the selling point.

Announcing a new amp from Schiit.... The Schiit POS. The product description will write itself:

"This amp measures so poorly, we thought it would be fun to see just how bad it could be. In fact, we cared so little about it that we decided not to even give it any Negative Feedback, although we're sure your feedback will be quite negative... unless you hear it".

"You can buy this amp, but we're not really sure why you would, unless you're drunk when you placed the order."

"If you do hear it and think it sounds great, please know - you're wrong."

"We designed the Schiit POS to sound like a real POS... enjoy!"

Then, when The Measurement Crowd wants to shoot holes in it... "Duh, we told you it sounded bad, why did you buy it?" And then, it will make some people wonder...

Too bad Schiit doesn't have a copywriter with some wit.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #132,109 of 149,849
I convinced my wife to let me buy a Yggdrasil+ GS2! I shouldn't have said I'd replace her before the animals the other day. She's a good chick! I'll move the Bifrost 2/64 into the work office headphone setup. But as part of the "deal" with my wife, I need to sell some equipment to offset the cost. Understandable as I have alot of Schiit! Anyway, do you think it would be ok to put the Yggy underneath the Freya+ N? I have 1.25" feet under the Freya but that doesn't really help with heat dissipation. I don't necessarily need to put the Ygyy underneath, I have a shelf on the bottom of my rack I could use, but then I need to find homes for the headphone amps I store on the bottom. I know the Bifrost gets fairly warm if I stack equipment on top of it (like the Lokius).
I have my Freya+ stacked on top of my Yggy+ OG, no issues. It was on top of the gumby before that, also no issues.

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #132,110 of 149,849
I convinced my wife to let me buy a Yggdrasil+ GS2! I shouldn't have said I'd replace her before the animals the other day. She's a good chick! I'll move the Bifrost 2/64 into the work office headphone setup. But as part of the "deal" with my wife, I need to sell some equipment to offset the cost. Understandable as I have alot of Schiit! Anyway, do you think it would be ok to put the Yggy underneath the Freya+ N? I have 1.25" feet under the Freya but that doesn't really help with heat dissipation. I don't necessarily need to put the Ygyy underneath, I have a shelf on the bottom of my rack I could use, but then I need to find homes for the headphone amps I store on the bottom. I know the Bifrost gets fairly warm if I stack equipment on top of it (like the Lokius).
It’s pretty cool that it seems more and more folks of this parish are finally getting their Yggy. Very cool.

Dec 5, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #132,111 of 149,849
Just my perspective, using my ears, room, and gear.

When I tried Lokius between my pre and amp, I wasn't bowled over. When I tried Lokius between my phono unit and preamp, it was an entirely different experience. A positive experience that made me want to say, "Wow, wow, wow"!

How's that for a detailed explanation that avoided "musical" and "plankton"?

Seriously though, we all hear differently. We're bound to describe what we hear differently. Is it that really a big deal?

That last statement was not directed at @adias, or anyone else in particular. Please take no offense where none was intended.
My Lokius is only used when listening on headphones.

Its two inputs are connected to DAC and phonostage and its outputs to my Schiit Folkvangr.

(It was way beyond me to connect Lokius into my speaker set up as well..)

Connected in my headphone set up in this way, it works well and allows me to enjoy great sound quality from vinyl, CDs, Qobuz and lossless files stored on networked hard drive.

I just enjoy the music, even without sufficient ‘wetness’ for plankton or even any PRaT :dt880smile:

Dec 5, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #132,112 of 149,849
Dec 5, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #132,114 of 149,849
Dec 5, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #132,115 of 149,849
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #132,116 of 149,849
Denny Laine, co-founder of 'Wings' and 'The Moody Blues', has passed away. :frowning2:

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #132,117 of 149,849
Not surprised by this at all. Here is a bit more on the topic, in case some are interested in exploring / experiencing it for themselves... at least something to think about for why each successive piece of gear you get is unremarkable, and then, something different. Is it surprising that many amps can sound similar / unremarkable if the designers do the same sort of things?

@Jason Stoddard has mentioned that "It's impossible to choose an amp based on damping factor, lack of feedback, or other factors, unless you really understand, in engineering terms, the tradeoffs associated with the design of audio power amplifiers." Not surprisingly, I don't have the technical knowledge to debate that point; however, I have ears. Something else worth noting or at least considering / asking "Why?" is that fact that Zero Feedback is the foundational basis for everything they do.

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=amp&n=185962&highlight=Hansen+feedback&r=&search_url=/cgi/search.mpl?forum=vinyl&searchtext=Monster+z4

I have a hunch for at least part of the reason why Zero Feedback isn't more common, even though people like me think it sounds better. Of course, a lot of people might be stoopid, like me. I have a hunch, though... I think the reason is "The Measurement Crowd".

In my not so humble opinion, The Measurement Crowd is why we can't have more nice sounding things, because the Amir/ASR crowd is a balancing act to deal with. Even guys like John Curl have to deal with it too:

But it's OK, because I have a solution. Design a product that completely and totally embraces how bad it measures, and that's part of the selling point.

Announcing a new amp from Schiit.... The Schiit POS. The product description will write itself:

"This amp measures so poorly, we thought it would be fun to see just how bad it could be. In fact, we cared so little about it that we decided not to even give it any Negative Feedback, although we're sure your feedback will be quite negative... unless you hear it".

"You can buy this amp, but we're not really sure why you would, unless you're drunk when you placed the order."

Then, when The Measurement Crowd wants to shoot holes in it... "Duh, we told you it sounded bad, why did you buy it?" And then, it will make some people wonder...

It may not be intentional, but the repeated regurgitation of what other companies and designers think is getting a bit old. This is the Schiit Happened thread. It's like going into Dave's Bar and telling him what Dan's Pub thinks.

If you have found your own One True Path, perhaps best to stick to it. We're gonna continue doing what we do, which includes a wide range of feedback, no-feedback, some-feedback, weird-feedback, current-feedback, feedforward, single ended, balanced, differential, not differential, and other techniques. We started with 100% no overall feedback—Asgard, Valhalla, Lyr, Mjolnir--hell, none of our amps had feedback baked into them until Magni. And we've already done a device so that measures so horrifyingly that it shocked me (Folkvangr). But bad measurements are not an end to themselves, same as good measurements.

Time for a chapter on Feedback, Good Bad and Ugly, like we did with balanced and Class A and discrete. I'll get to that eventually.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #132,118 of 149,849

Screenshot 2023-12-05 at 12.26.59 PM.png

They did that twice. The original Vali and the Folkvangr.

I wouldn't give the ASR crowd so much credit. His reviews and opinions haven't tainted the audio world too badly.

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #132,119 of 149,849
Jake did that video after I mentioned to him more people probably had no idea about it. I saw a vague reference to it and reached out to him about it. It's a great option for when your setup is a 2-way speaker blended with subs. Even Magnepan blended with subs. Earlier in the year I owned a pair of Magnepan 3.7i and that was the initial idea for use along with subs. The Maggies have since moved along.

Notwithstanding a dedicated board, you can do the same thing via caps that you plug inline prior to the amp. There is a calculation to be done based in the input impedance of the amp. So, it's possible to do with any Schiit amp right now... Someone running an Aegir on 2-way speakers with subs? The benefit is that, especially on a 2-way, you relieve the woofer of the lower bass and it makes it's job easier for the midrange... easier job for the amp... easier on both.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/High-Pass-Filter.htm

If you don't mind sharing, why did you get rid of your Maggies? I was thinking of getting a pair for my second system just to swap in and out because of all the "amazing, you're not gonna believe it" reviews. However, every time they come up it seems people get them, are wowed by them, then move on. Do they not live up to the hype? Or, something else? Just wondering if I should not waste my time. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back