Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 5, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #132,092 of 152,620
Well, so far... the ones staying put under this roof are all low feedback. I'm living it, loving it, and I guess not knowing the engineering explanation for why I like it is moot, for me. I agree with you about preferences... I'm measuring with my ears. As for me, I'll take my chances with a low feedback amp hooked up to open baffle speakers with drivers that already have damping (by design).

Wait a minute... hmmm, are you setting the stage for Aegir to have Damping Factor of 1000? Of course not... and there's also a reason for that. I understand my perspective is completely biased on this topic.

The "Smart Money System" is this: Main speakers high passed and run with a low feedback amp. Blend in subs that you can tune for the room acoustics. No need for a main amp to control the low end (damping factor)... let it get happy, happy, happy with the easy stuff. Let a sub amp do the grunt work. Result: Full Range sound with low end tuned to accommodate the room... something most people can't do with a compromised setup based on where their "Full Range" speakers have to be placed, with "approval".

One way to high pass to the main speakers? Well, Ayre makes this available for the VX-5 Twenty and it's common for use with Vandersteen speakers. Input impedance of Ayre VX-5 Twenty is 1M ohms, so the caps are small. This is a 100hz high pass filter on the main amp input board that I can swap out easily. Second set of outputs from the preamp go to dual subs for the grunt work. You like "modularity"... perhaps this is something to consider as a feature for a low power amp like the Aegir "3" via removable board... Unless you've already thought of it.

IMG_6441.jpegIMG_6442.jpeg
I thought Ayre was in the alu business :ksc75smile:

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #132,093 of 152,620
But does it have PRaT and the Almighty Plankton? 😂 🐈
That will be the name of my sea shanties covers band. A little Stan Rogers, anyone?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #132,095 of 152,620
When I think of the word “musical” I’m reminded of a few experiences.
1. I used to go see a Chicago funk band almost every time they played. One performance in particular struck me as odd. I was acquainted with the band members and they would sometimes ask me for feedback.
I said something like: you guys were playing the music but the feeling was missing. Like the performance felt fatigued. Lifeless. They took a break for a while and they eventually brought back the heart and some new tunes.

2. First time I heard an all Mark Levinson system driving MBL speakers. It was a similar feeling. The recordings were crystal clear yet didn’t move me. It was a bizarre feeling.

I have more to say but have to run.

When I think of the word “musical” I’m reminded of a few experiences.
1. I used to go see a Chicago funk band almost every time they played. One performance in particular struck me as odd. I was acquainted with the band members and they would sometimes ask me for feedback.
I said something like: you guys were playing the music but the feeling was missing. Like the performance felt fatigued. Lifeless. They took a break for a while and they eventually brought back the heart and some new tunes.

2. First time I heard an all Mark Levinson system driving MBL speakers. It was a similar feeling. The recordings were crystal clear yet didn’t move me. It was a bizarre feeling.

I have more to say but have to run.
Yeah, I hear you. I have experienced that sedate, non musical sound many times, especially at hi-fi shows. Cost doesn't seem to come into it.
Perhaps its a synergy thing. That is part of the reason I ordered an MJ3 because it seems more hotrod than sedate sedan.
And please, don't even mention the word 'Plankton' whatever that means.

Dec 5, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #132,096 of 152,620
Yeah, I hear you. I have experienced that sedate, non musical sound many times, especially at hi-fi shows. Cost doesn't seem to come into it.
Perhaps its a synergy thing. That is part of the reason I ordered an MJ3 because it seems more hotrod than sedate sedan.
plankton is with DACs according the audiophools

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #132,097 of 152,620
FYI, if you want a "choke amp", there is another option you can pickup for ~$1,000 used - Ayre Acoustics V3. Ayre still actively services / supports all of their legacy gear. Great people.

2625651-a4f3423b-ayre-v3-amplifier-with-all-factory-updates-factory-box-packaging.jpg
been listening to the V3 for the past 25+ years

Dec 5, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #132,098 of 152,620
Just saw your update and thank you for that!

So @Jason Stoddard has an opinion - he thinks the EQ should be before the preamp. He answered that for Saga. I wonder why he ignored my question which is in a different pipeline. Balanced Kara/Tyr. It may still apply from an ultimate noise floor perspective.
Just my perspective, using my ears, room, and gear.

When I tried Lokius between my pre and amp, I wasn't bowled over. When I tried Lokius between my phono unit and preamp, it was an entirely different experience. A positive experience that made me want to say, "Wow, wow, wow"!

How's that for a detailed explanation that avoided "musical" and "plankton"?

Seriously though, we all hear differently. We're bound to describe what we hear differently. Is that really a big deal?

That last statement was not directed at @adias, or anyone else in particular. Please take no offense where none was intended.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #132,099 of 152,620
I convinced my wife to let me buy a Yggdrasil+ GS2! I shouldn't have said I'd replace her before the animals the other day. She's a good chick! I'll move the Bifrost 2/64 into the work office headphone setup. But as part of the "deal" with my wife, I need to sell some equipment to offset the cost. Understandable as I have alot of Schiit! Anyway, do you think it would be ok to put the Yggy underneath the Freya+ N? I have 1.25" feet under the Freya but that doesn't really help with heat dissipation. I don't necessarily need to put the Ygyy underneath, I have a shelf on the bottom of my rack I could use, but then I need to find homes for the headphone amps I store on the bottom. I know the Bifrost gets fairly warm if I stack equipment on top of it (like the Lokius).

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #132,100 of 152,620
I convinced my wife to let me buy a Yggdrasil+ GS2! I shouldn't have said I'd replace her before the animals the other day. She's a good chick! I'll move the Bifrost 2/64 into the work office headphone setup. But as part of the "deal" with my wife, I need to sell some equipment to offset the cost. Understandable as I have alot of Schiit! Anyway, do you think it would be ok to put the Yggy underneath the Freya+ N? I have 1.25" feet under the Freya but that doesn't really help with heat dissipation. I don't necessarily need to put the Ygyy underneath, I have a shelf on the bottom of my rack I could use, but then I need to find homes for the headphone amps I store on the bottom. I know the Bifrost gets fairly warm if I stack equipment on top of it (like the Lokius).
Excited to hear your thoughts! I’m so close to purchasing a GS2 as a potential upgrade to bifrost 2/64.

Would also love to hear anyone’s impressions between GS2/GS/A1 to A2/OG if possible!

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #132,101 of 152,620
… aaargh! 🏴‍☠️ … walk the plankton🦈

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #132,102 of 152,620
That will be the name of my sea shanties covers band. A little Stan Rogers, anyone?
Battle of the Bands (for Shillboard Top of The Crop ranking):

PRat & The Almighty Plankton

versus

DeeTale & The Inky Blackground

🤔🤨🥱

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #132,103 of 152,620
I'm thinking of placing my GS2 under my Freya+ N. I believe the Yggy OG chassis had 'fake' heat vents on the top, but I'm not sure about the new Yggy+ chassis.

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #132,104 of 152,620
been listening to the V3 for the past 25+ years
I'm looking for one "just because". I may reach out to you, if that's alright. Jake at Ayre just sent me a list of the revisions it's had. I can forward to you, if you'd like.

Dec 5, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #132,105 of 152,620
Anyway, do you think it would be ok to put the Yggy underneath the Freya+ N? I have 1.25" feet under the Freya but that doesn't really help with heat dissipation. I don't necessarily need to put the Ygyy underneath, I have a shelf on the bottom of my rack I could use, but then I need to find homes for the headphone amps I store on the bottom. I know the Bifrost gets fairly warm if I stack equipment on top of it (like the Lokius).

Stacking Freya-N on Yggy should be fine. I run my Freya-N stacked on Gungnir Multibit with no issues. The DACs don't have vents, and only dissipate heat through the chassis. The hot Freya-N will have little effect on the heat of the DAC as the heat rises up away from Freya-N.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back