Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 4, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #132,002 of 152,726
My room is 11'x12', my speakers are 92dB sensitivity, I sit about 6' from my speakers, and I listen at about 85dB peak volume, so 200w x2 is waaaay more power than I'll ever use. I can't justify paying for waaaay more than is needed and hold-out hope that us lower power needs customers can someday benefit from a Schiit choke-based amp at a lower price. One can dream.
It's not about Power, it's about Plankton! :smile_cat:

Dec 4, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #132,003 of 152,726
@Jason Stoddard -- a non-audio request. Please recommend 3x Texas red wines (or blends) that the wife and I should try. We are fond of Merlots and Cabs, but open to any types that are not too dry or sweet. Looking forward to your recommendations. :wink:
It's tough to recommend specific wines, because I'm not sure what's in distribution (I usually get mine from the winery). I can recommend William Chris tempranillos and tannats--those are both very consistent. Their mourvedres are also very good, on the lighter side of red though. Pedernales tempranillos and blends. A new-ish place, Invention (part of the Grape Creek conglomerate) is also doing some spectacular tempranillos and even a very good cabernet. Also, Kalasi Cellars is the most California-like in terms of new world fruit bombs, the rest of the above tend towards a more minerally French presentation.

All of the above are from Texas grapes.

And yes, Texas can do a good cabernet. It's just unusual. Stick to hot-weather grapes like tempanillo, tannat, and mourvedre, and you'll have a lot higher hit rate. Also their whites are fantastic--find a picpoul blanc or a viognier from any of the above.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #132,005 of 152,726
@Jason Stoddard Just curious any updates on the singularity? Want to get the yggy but don’t want to miss out on the singularity haha
Soon. In the end of the year chapter.

Don't expect Singularity to start much lower than an Yggdrasil GS2, though. Also don't expect it super soon. Basically, get a GS2.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #132,006 of 152,726
Hart Cables. Well-constructed, sound great, very flexible setup if you have multiple balanced/SE headphones and/or amps. And ethically priced.
I haven't heard their cables but I really like their connection system. More companies should follow that practice.

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #132,008 of 152,726
I disagree. Portugal instead - Verde in the Minho region, reds in the Douro and Alentejo. Port before and after dinner, of course!
I always say, as a guy from a country where avrg wine can be used as vinagre, this: Very easy to find a bad wine in France, easy to find in Spain too but in Portugal it is quite hard to find a bad wine.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #132,011 of 152,726
I've been on the fence getting heavy into the Stax game for 20 years now. There is a huge opportunity here.

The problem with electrostats is it appears all the decent amps are $4,000 - $6,500. Besides custom used one offs.

I wish Schiit would come out with a solid electrostat amp at like $999.99 that would drive anything with authority, the problem with the Topping e-stat amp is it will shut itself off during bassy sections. No thanks.

If you released that you would literally not be able to keep it in stock it would sell so fast.

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #132,014 of 152,726
My room is 11'x12', my speakers are 92dB sensitivity, I sit about 6' from my speakers, and I listen at about 85dB peak volume, so 200w x2 is waaaay more power than I'll ever use. I can't justify paying for waaaay more than is needed. I will continue to hold-out hope that us lower power needs customers can someday benefit from a Schiit choke-based amp at a lower price. One can dream.
FYI, if you want a "choke amp", there is another option you can pickup for ~$1,000 used - Ayre Acoustics V3. Ayre still actively services / supports all of their legacy gear. Great people.

2625651-a4f3423b-ayre-v3-amplifier-with-all-factory-updates-factory-box-packaging.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back