Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #131,971 of 155,069
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #131,972 of 155,069
Q. for @Jason Stoddard :

The Kara input impedance is 10k ohm and output 600 ohm.
The Lokius input impedance is 47k ohm and output 75 ohm.

Is there any compromise inserting a Lokius via balanced inputs/outputs between a Kara and Tyrs?

Or is it better to insert it between a Yggy and Kara?

Will one topology sound better than the other?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #131,974 of 155,069
You sir, are a straight-shooter. Nothing wrong with that.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #131,975 of 155,069
Thanks for the honesty...its rare these days...
Old stuff just because its old is not any worse or better than when it came out.

Jason often states "we can do better" from a really good Analog EE this is a challenge to him etc...always trying to design stuff and improve on things etc..

I cant remember how many times I sit here and try to "discern" real world differences...and often think well there arent any or if they are there they are so small that I ask the question "Does it really matter?"..

Human Beings are funny creatures at times!

So many great new and old choices out there.

I am glad Jason likes to push the envelope and provide us minions out here with a variety of choices at fair prices...

Enjoy the music while you can!
Alex
In this case, honesty was a zero-risk proposition: I like the Mjolnir 3, but because of the unicorn head phones I listen to, and the sound I prefer, my Mjolnir I is a better match. For nine of ten head phones out there, the Mjolnir 3 is a home run (unless your living room system is powered by Krell or Spectral).

I think less that it "digs out details" as that it preserves whatever detail the upstream components have dug out (Linn's source first philosophy).
With that in mind, clearly you need a more euphonic source :). Tube DAC? Turntable?
I think we're on the same track (tack?), I'm just letting my inner Sam Tellig out. As for a more euphonic source, see my reply above...

If you keep on waiting, you never get to enjoy a product. In a vibrant organization [like Schiit], product "improvement" ideas and changes start before the product is ever released for production. You have to draw the time line somewhere.
I think that's somewhere on the Schiit Sine Wave.

As for good words: jack-wang (from Last Man Standing).
As for words which should be removed from the lexicon: literally, beast, on, massive, historic, form-factor...

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #131,976 of 155,069
The Kara specs page says:

Outputs: 1 XLR pair plus 2 RCA pairs, selectable via front switch or remote

Is this correct? I do not see any front panel or remote control to select outputs. I think they are both always on.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #131,977 of 155,069
Q. for @Jason Stoddard :

The Kara input impedance is 10k ohm and output 600 ohm.
The Lokius input impedance is 47k ohm and output 75 ohm.

Is there any compromise inserting a Lokius via balanced inputs/outputs between a Kara and Tyrs?

Or is it better to insert it between a Yggy and Kara?

Will one topology sound better than the other?
Impedances fine in any order. Tyrs have -2V sensitivity for rated output, so Lokius & Kara can both easily drive them to max power.

<added>
Under typical operating conditions with medium or high efficiency speakers, Kara output level will be a few 10’s or 100’s of mV peak. Noise floor matters.

yggy -> lokius -> kara if you only desire EQ on digital source(s).

kara ~> lokius -> Tyrs to EQ multiple analog + digital sources, but noise floor may be higher

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-7810#post-17527408

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #131,978 of 155,069
If @Jason Stoddard ever introduces a 30-45 watt Tyr Jr monoblock, in either Aegir-size or Rag / Tyr-sized enclosures at less than $1500 each, I'd likely be all over that!! :wink:
I'd highly recommend to just save up for Tyrs, you won't regret it.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #131,979 of 155,069

Impedances fine in any order. Tyrs have -2V sensitivity for rated output, so Lokius & Kara can both easily drive them to max power.

yggy -> lokius -> kara if you only desire EQ on digital source(s). Between kara & Tyrs to EQ multiple analog + digital sources, but noise floor may be higher
I understand that and thanks for your post. But with all due respect I would love @Jason Stoddard to chime in. After all the pipeline I am interested in is Schiit’s top tier an he must have a technical view on the topology options.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #131,980 of 155,069
From my experience, a 7025A twin triode splits the gain betwixt a 12AX7A and a 12AT7A. Are 7581A beam power tubes, which are pin-compatible with the 6L6 and 6V6 series, still manufactured?

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #131,984 of 155,069
How about a topic with no controversy: the obviously best headphone cables!

I nominate almost any cable except cheap Chinese cables and those made for Hifiman.... oh, same thing.

On the other hand I'm using a set of not cheap Chinese cables now that sound pretty good. They're from Apos. I had a set of Cardas that sounded the best I've heard. Connection is now bad and in need of repair.

Which sound best to you? Or do they all sound the same? YMMV
Hart Cables. Well-constructed, sound great, very flexible setup if you have multiple balanced/SE headphones and/or amps. And ethically priced.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #131,985 of 155,069
@Jason Stoddard -- a non-audio request. Please recommend 3x Texas red wines (or blends) that the wife and I should try. We are fond of Merlots and Cabs, but open to any types that are not too dry or sweet. Looking forward to your recommendations. :wink:
Not @Jason Stoddard but am experienced in this world.

No matter what you do, DO NOT get Cabs or Merlots from Texas. Most of them are not Texas fruit (the climate here is NOT conducive to those grapes and most of the wines labeled with those varietals is made from bulk grapes shipped into Texas from California and crushed/fermented here.)

Look instead for Spanish, Southern Italian, Portuguese or Southern France varietals.

My top 3 producers, in no particular order…

C.L. Butaud (I’m partial to the Desert Willow Vineyard Mourvèdre)

Wine For the People (My choice would be the 2020 La Valentía Grenache)

William Cris (I’m fond of the 2020 Tempranillo - High Cross Vineyard).

These are, for my money, the best three winemakers working in the state right now. The wines I like might not be the ones you like, but they all have pretty accurate descriptions on their website of all their releases.

In general, “High Plains” wines are going to be more varietally correct than “Hill Country” wines. There are exceptions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back