Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 4, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #131,986 of 155,069
Left home a week ago tomorrow for some stressful travel.

Flight back to Austin tonight was 30 mins late, and I got home about 1 am to find my MMB2 waiting so I hooked it up.

So I should be sleeping, but instead I’m sipping a whiskey and listening to this thing.

First impressions compared to Modi 3e (all 2.1 channel stereo, through speakers, using the USB input):

1) It is for sure different. I feel like on the tracks I’m playing, there is a larger soundstage, with more separation/detail.

2) Oh my, my velodyne sub is slapping a bit differently.

3) I feel closer to the “stage.” Music is further out from the speakers, more like sittting on the stage than a few feet in front of it.

4) I got goosebumps from a bit of harmony vocals.

It just feels like there’s more. The fingerpicking on Willie Nelson’s cover of Townes Van Sant’s Marie is :chefskiss:

If this is distortion, I’m a fan. 🤣

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #131,987 of 155,069
8800 pages!!!

@Jason Stoddard & co: thanks for continuing to innovate and offer new products (sometimes to the chagrin of recent purchasers of older product versions)... without such product improvement & enhancement we would be stuck with Asgard 1,
Valhalla 1, Balanced-only Mjolnir, etc.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #131,988 of 155,069
8800 pages!!!

@Jason Stoddard & co: thanks for continuing to innovate and offer new products (sometimes to the chagrin of recent purchasers of older product versions)... without such innovation, we would be stuck with Asgard 1,

8800 pages, and MJ3 2nd batch ships soon ~~~

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #131,989 of 155,069
I think it’s going to depend a lot upon your system and your tastes. The Freya+ used in passive mode sounds good, but I get more enjoyment from buffered or tube mode. That’s just my taste. I’m not sure that using the Mjolnir as a preamp for my main system makes a lot of sense and my fantasies about a choke based preamp with a remote may be just that - fantasy. But I can genuinely hear some goodness by putting the Mjolnir into the signal chain. That said, I think it’s worth giving a serious listen to a passive preamp, so I do appreciate your suggestion. I’ll keep tinkering and figuring out what I like.
I agree @NoBodyNoWhere
I have a Freya S and much preferred it in active buffer mode, to passive.
The latter sounded ‘flat’ and lifeless in my system.

Dec 4, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #131,990 of 155,069
I wrote "purely passive" for that reason. I'll say that I found the Freya S I used to own less transparent in passive mode than the preamps I own now. Not a criticism, the Freya S was better quality/$. But for sitting between DACs putting our 4V RMS @ 0dB and current amps, why bother with active modes (looking for education here)? I understand that a good pre that has both active and passive modes is more flexible from a product point of view, of course.
My experience with Freya S was similar.
I found that removing it from the signal chain altogether and running without a preamp, sounded better than using it in passive mode.

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #131,992 of 155,069
Left home a week ago tomorrow for some stressful travel.

Flight back to Austin tonight was 30 mins late, and I got home about 1 am to find my MMB2 waiting so I hooked it up.

So I should be sleeping, but instead I’m sipping a whiskey and listening to this thing.

First impressions compared to Modi 3e (all 2.1 channel stereo, through speakers, using the USB input):

1) It is for sure different. I feel like on the tracks I’m playing, there is a larger soundstage, with more separation/detail.

2) Oh my, my velodyne sub is slapping a bit differently.

3) I feel closer to the “stage.” Music is further out from the speakers, more like sittting on the stage than a few feet in front of it.

4) I got goosebumps from a bit of harmony vocals.

It just feels like there’s more. The fingerpicking on Willie Nelson’s cover of Townes Van Sant’s Marie is :chefskiss:

If this is distortion, I’m a fan. 🤣
Leave it on overnight and you wont be leaving your listening chair subsequently.

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #131,995 of 155,069
I'd highly recommend to just save up for Tyrs, you won't regret it.
My room is 11'x12', my speakers are 92dB sensitivity, I sit about 6' from my speakers, and I listen at about 85dB peak volume, so 200w x2 is waaaay more power than I'll ever use. I can't justify paying for waaaay more than is needed. I will continue to hold-out hope that us lower power needs customers can someday benefit from a Schiit choke-based amp at a lower price. One can dream.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #131,996 of 155,069
... without such product improvement & enhancement we would be stuck with Asgard 1,
1st world problems. :D

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #131,997 of 155,069
For real great wine you have to be in Italy though .......
Let's see where this gets us on the schiit sine wave.......
While I do love many Italian wines (and my heart goes pitter-pat for a good Barolo) I just finished a superb California Tempranillo grown from Spanish root-stock vines that I think gives anything from Europe a run for its money. :)

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #131,998 of 155,069
Dec 4, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #132,000 of 155,069
“The Twelve Days of Aegir 2”

“And on the First Day of Aegir 2, the Output Impedance was said to beee:…”
…. not to be confused with the sonic quest by Jason & The Aegirnauts … ⛵⚔️😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back