Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #131,897 of 153,242
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #131,898 of 153,242
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #131,899 of 153,242
You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

True. And those over there talking about plankton state that the Yggy OG has less plankton and has a 'gray' background. And then the site's 'habitués' all nod their heads in agreement. The language analogy is idiotic, but one would say that plankton leads to gray in the real world, as plankton yields turbid less transparent waters. So is it gray or plankton? All nonsense.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #131,900 of 153,242
True. And those over there talking about plankton state that the Yggy OG has less plankton and has a 'gray' background. And then the site's 'habitués' all nod their heads in agreement. The language analogy is idiotic, but one would say that plankton leads to gray in the real world, as plankton yields turbid less transparent waters. So is it gray or plankton? All nonsense.
I blame the writers at High Fidelity and Stereo Review magazines for the proliferation of meaningless nonsense terms in the audio world. They tried to create a religion and to set themselves up as the priests...

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #131,901 of 153,242
@Jason Stoddard I can't find the specs for Freya S anywhere. What voltage does it swing in highest gain? I'm building a FW F4 and wondering if I need to build a preamp as well. Thank you.
For retired products, use the wayback machine: Freya S

Active gain is 12dB

You can also try using Schiit's AI "SchiitTalker". It has answered technical questions I've had that aren't listed in the specs sections: SchiitTalker

This is SchiitTalker's answer to your question:

"Oh, Freya S, you sly little preamp! Now, when it comes to voltage swing in the highest gain mode, let me tell you, it can really pack a punch. The Freya S has a maximum voltage swing of around 10 volts RMS in its highest gain setting."

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #131,902 of 153,242
I blame the writers at High Fidelity and Stereo Review magazines for the proliferation of meaningless nonsense terms in the audio world. They tried to create a religion and to set themselves up as the priests...
Couldn't agree more....
God help u if you get it wrong.....
Why I like this thread and all you Schiitheads!!

Alex

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #131,903 of 153,242
Couldn't agree more....
God help u if you get it wrong.....
Why I like this thread and all you Schiitheads!!

Alex
And it's only gotten worse with the Internet.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #131,904 of 153,242
I don’t see Schiit except for your Crack.
Does this count? Freya+, Lokius along with the heavily modded internals of said 'Crack. 😉

Attachments

• IMG_9334.jpg
    IMG_9334.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 3, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #131,906 of 153,242
Does this count? Freya+, Lokius along with the heavily modded internals of said 'Crack. 😉
That looks nicely done! These point to point DIY kits are kind of fun to build. I believe Dan at Bottlehead would like to retire soon so maybe Schiit will buy it and bring their costs back down a bit as Bottlehead has lost some of their value proposition over the years with inflation. The two companies kind of remind me of each other in a way. Both try to provide a high performance to price ratios and both have immature product/brand names. As Jason would probably say, "Nevergonnahappen.com".

Dec 3, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #131,907 of 153,242
Some on-line "reviewer" used the term referring to some subjective criteria they were trying to use to rate DAC performance, as if it was a term with universal meaning in the audio world that carried some sort of heavy significance we should all pay attention to.
Like PRaT? 😂 - sorry "sniped"

EDIT

Remember when reviews would describe cables as "chocolatey"?

Let's not forget wine and beer reviews - "hints of tobacco" - yuck 🤮

All thisreminds me of guys at box stores making up their own words to describe products and principles they did not understand.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #131,908 of 153,242
That looks nicely done! These point to point DIY kits are kind of fun to build. I believe Dan at Bottlehead would like to retire soon so maybe Schiit will buy it and bring their costs back down a bit as Bottlehead has lost some of their value proposition over the years with inflation. The two companies kind of remind me of each other in a way. Both try to provide a high performance to price ratios and both have immature product/brand names. As Jason would probably say, "Nevergonnahappen.com".
Although I'd like to see Bottlehead continue, we'd need to find someone who really loves it to run it and give the customers the support they deserve. We're really not ready for the intensity of DIY, I'm afraid.

To expound a bit more: I've never been a huge fan of acquisitions. Too frequently it results in a big(ger) pile of mediocrity, run by paint-by-numbers management types who don't really care enough to make a niche company work. You're not gonna acquire/manage/research/focus-group your way to out-competing a company run by someone who lives and breathes their products, goes to sleep dreaming about new gear, wakes up excited every morning to go to the bench, and loves what they do because it's the best thing in the world. Period. NEH-VER. No matter how much money you throw at it.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 3, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #131,909 of 153,242
Let's also add The Absolute Sound and Stereophile and a few others.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #131,910 of 153,242
No question that on a positive upgrade path one gets used to the sound and after a while may wonder what the improvement was. Going back to a lower performer immediately re-biases the sound quality perception.
In my case, it's not upgrade path but variety: MJ3, ecp DSHA-3F, Ferrum Oor, DNA Stellaris have all their own character and fit to particular music and headphones. Switching between them reminds me of those good differences. Same way as one can enjoy good cooking in different cuisines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back