Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #131,928 of 155,226
“The Ten Days of Aegir 2”

“And on the First Day of Aegir 2, the Output Impedance was said to beee:…”
Not sure why you care, but perhaps once the specs for the amp are created and the base DF is published, you will be able to figure it out.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #131,929 of 155,226
Not sure what your obsession with output impedance is all about, but perhaps once the specs for the amp are created and the base DF is published, you will be able to figure it out.
“You’re not sure”…

I understand.

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #131,931 of 155,226
This is super funny, because the majority of acquisition proformas I've seen include:

1. Retention of senior management at the acquired company, at truly LOL-tastic compensation levels.
2. Additional funny money for said senior management.

"No, sorry, I'll wait till you're BK and get everything wayyy cheaper and without the encumbrances," sez any intelligent money-guy.

Remember, I've been in audio a looooooong time and also been through the dot-com 1.0 boom and bust.
So true. PWC did a deep dive on this years ago, and data showed that 83% of all acquisitions failed to increase overall net value. In my inside experience, most acquisitions happen (those without Jason's insight above) because the acquiring leadership team needs a story to tell the Board about a pathway to growth or to protect markets to buy them a few more years before their own ineptitude is revealed.

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #131,932 of 155,226
At least the term plankton has some sort of actual relevance, to kind of visualise the idea of micro detail I suppose.

The one audio term I can't stand is the completely meaningless abomination musical.

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #131,933 of 155,226
Quick and easy question: If I add the Multibit DAC card to my Asgard 3, can I still pipe music from my external DAC through it via its standard inputs?

My thinking is, when I eventually send in my not-quite-yet-mine Gumby for the Unison USB upgrade, I might as well upgrade the Asgard at the same time. Later in 2024, if it's still available. I'll order a Mjolnir 3 and I can then move the Asgard into my office for daily use and use it as a portable-ish all-in-one for when I travel, etc.

<edit: Why does apple think that when I type "its", I mean "it's"???>

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #131,934 of 155,226
Quick and easy question: If I add the Multibit DAC card to my Asgard 3, can I still pipe music from my external DAC through it via it's standard inputs?

My thinking is, when I eventually send in my not-quite-yet-mine Gumby for the Unison USB upgrade, I might as well upgrade the Asgard at the same time. Later in 2024, if it's still available. I'll order a Mjolnir 3 and I can then move the Asgard into my office for daily use and use it as a portable-ish all-in-one for when I travel, etc.

Yes.

:beerchug:
JC

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #131,935 of 155,226
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #131,938 of 155,226
This is super funny, because the majority of acquisition proformas I've seen include:

1. Retention of senior management at the acquired company, at truly LOL-tastic compensation levels.
2. Additional funny money for said senior management.

"No, sorry, I'll wait till you're BK and get everything wayyy cheaper and without the encumbrances," sez any intelligent money-guy.

Remember, I've been in audio a looooooong time and also been through the dot-com 1.0 boom and bust.

What I've experienced is acquisition of a competitor with the itent of expanding the customer base and converting them to a different product. The competitor's product is supported for a given period of time, but:
  • The assemblers can't, or don't want to, build it correctly.
  • The technology is so different the technicians have a steep learning curve. Plus they have to deal with all the assembly mistakes.
  • The engineers didn't design it and know nothing about it.
  • Field service knows so little about it that they just have units shipped back for repair.
  • Meanwhile Sales keeps on selling...

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #131,939 of 155,226
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #131,940 of 155,226
At least the term plankton has some sort of actual relevance, to kind of visualise the idea of micro detail I suppose.

The one audio term I can't stand is the completely meaningless abomination musical.
I have no issue with 'musical'. Musical as it sounds like live instruments not coming from a box with clear electronic reproduction. I find that a good test of a system is to listen to the system away from the listening spot, say from a close hallway or a room nearby and see if it sounds like the sound of a box or if it is possible to imagine an ensemble is playing nearby. Like the sound experience we have approaching a live orchestra playing deep in a concert hall as we enter the concert hall. If it reminds me that it's live, it's musical, if it sounds contrived - not musical. We all know what live music sounds like, or we should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back