Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 3, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #131,911 of 155,196
In my case, it's not upgrade path but variety: MJ3, ecp DSHA-3F, Ferrum Oor, DNA Stellaris have all their own character and fit to particular music and headphones. Switching between them reminds me of those good differences. Same way as one can enjoy good cooking in different cuisines.
I can see that, however I have no patience to keeping various components of the same pipeline and keep rotating them. Way too much work, but if you enjoy that, great!

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #131,912 of 155,196
Although I'd like to see Bottlehead continue, we'd need to find someone who really loves it to run it and give the customers the support they deserve. We're really not ready for the intensity of DIY, I'm afraid.

To expound a bit more: I've never been a huge fan of acquisitions. Too frequently it results in a big(ger) pile of mediocrity, run by paint-by-numbers management types who don't really care enough to make a niche company work. You're not gonna acquire/manage/research/focus-group your way to out-competing a company run by someone who lives and breathes their products, goes to sleep dreaming about new gear, wakes up excited every morning to go to the bench, and loves what they do because it's the best thing in the world. Period. NEH-VER. No matter how much money you throw at it.
Maybe there are some soon-to-be-forced-out Roon engineers who might want to take a crack at running Bottlehead. Despite the rhetoric we've heard before accompanying the takeover (paraphrasing: let it continue to be run as an independent entity), clearly Harman (and Samsung, and its investors) will be looking for ways to make money from it any which way they can, and things may not be so rosy for many of the folks who are left. Oh, yeah, "merger of equals" is another favorite, oft-used phrase associated with takeovers, and -- shockingly! shockingly! -- never works out that way.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #131,913 of 155,196
If you check out that site where the audio friends hang out you'll find a lot of talk about 'plankton'.

JC
… that’s because they dwell in BikiniBinaural Bottom’ !! 🤪

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #131,915 of 155,196
@33na3rd photo of TT. Allan Perkins RPM.
Maybe I'm looking at Schiit Skoll in near future. Sure in enjoy running it thru the Freya+

IMG_2614.jpeg

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #131,916 of 155,196
Although I'd like to see Bottlehead continue, we'd need to find someone who really loves it to run it and give the customers the support they deserve. We're really not ready for the intensity of DIY, I'm afraid.

To expound a bit more: I've never been a huge fan of acquisitions. Too frequently it results in a big(ger) pile of mediocrity, run by paint-by-numbers management types who don't really care enough to make a niche company work. You're not gonna acquire/manage/research/focus-group your way to out-competing a company run by someone who lives and breathes their products, goes to sleep dreaming about new gear, wakes up excited every morning to go to the bench, and loves what they do because it's the best thing in the world. Period. NEH-VER. No matter how much money you throw at it.
• From a corporate viewpoint, most acquisitions are conducted to entrench the acquirer’s senior management. It is that or be acquired and have the exits clearly shown.
• Also, in a fundamental sense, acquisition is an admission of inability to grow internally & profitably … two usually sound reasons for the ouster of management.

Dec 3, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #131,918 of 155,196
Thanks for the honesty...its rare these days...
Old stuff just because its old is not any worse or better than when it came out.

Jason often states "we can do better" from a really good Analog EE this is a challenge to him etc...always trying to design stuff and improve on things etc..

I cant remember how many times I sit here and try to "discern" real world differences...and often think well there arent any or if they are there they are so small that I ask the question "Does it really matter?"..

Human Beings are funny creatures at times!

So many great new and old choices out there.
I had an Asgard 3 and enjoyed it. Picked up a PS Audio GCHA (headphone amp) which is 14 years old on a whim and it was cheap. I ended liking it better than the Asgard. I use it only as an amp. Just a personal thing. Just like me prefering the MM2 to a Bifrost 2.
There you go.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #131,919 of 155,196
• From a corporate viewpoint, most acquisitions are conducted to entrench the acquirer’s senior management. It is that or be acquired and have the exits clearly shown.
• Also, in a fundamental sense, acquisition is an admission of inability to grow internally & profitably … two usually sound reasons for the ouster of management.
The number one reason given in my industry for acquisition is "vertical integration" but the real reason is normally to artificially increase total business size-by-revenue for bragging rights on Wall Street.

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #131,920 of 155,196
This is super funny, because the majority of acquisition proformas I've seen include:

1. Retention of senior management at the acquired company, at truly LOL-tastic compensation levels.
2. Additional funny money for said senior management.

"No, sorry, I'll wait till you're BK and get everything wayyy cheaper and without the encumbrances," sez any intelligent money-guy.

Remember, I've been in audio a looooooong time and also been through the dot-com 1.0 boom and bust.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #131,921 of 155,196
I can see that, however I have no patience to keeping various components of the same pipeline and keep rotating them. Way too much work, but if you enjoy that, great!
Two systems in two locations, each with a pre to switch between amps and sources.

Dec 3, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #131,923 of 155,196
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 3, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #131,924 of 155,196
I hadn't seen that one, thanks for the link. There goes my 'no low vis' statement!

The comments are interesting too. This seems to be an unforced error as the comments include that traffic volume was low, so no need for the SW to be cleared ahead of the landing traffic.

Some commenters also note that in other jurisdictions they would not issue such a takeoff clearance, as I commented earlier. I do wonder if the fact that ATC could issue such a clearance in VMC makes it "routine" and normalizes it to such an extent that nerves no longer jangle in adverse circumstances, and the error chain is maintained.

I read the incident reports with fascination: and two observations almost always jump out. One is that the error chain often starts with an inconsequential event; and then gets compounded again and again. The mind set that (one "knows") can't easily be broken, and second, the Monday morning QBs who have obviously never been there.

Cheers
Lots of good info on the site if you are into that stuff, and Simon keeps it pretty clinical in the reporting. But you're correct on the Monday am QBs... They pop up everywhere. You do need a filter, as with most places on the interwebs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back